Earth. Our planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Earth. Our planet?
One of the least helpful cultural influences that I find in judeochristian religion, although it is probably based on earlier neolithic traditions, is how it tends to depict the land, and non-human things that live on it, as a gift from the god thing to (his chosen) people, for them to exploit at will. Consequently, (his chosen) people often act as if the land, and anything that may roam or stand on it, were our property. We can use it, exchange it for money, give it away or even destroy it at will.

But to what extent is the planet on which we live our own? Is the Earth more mine than it is yours? Does it belong to us more than it did to human beings living a few thousand years ago? Is it more ours than it will be our great-great-great-grandchildren's? Is it more ours than it is fishes', reptiles' or birds'? Bacteria inhabited this planet long before anything resembling a human being walked on its surface; using our "it's mine because I got here first" frequent logic, shouldn't "our" planet be theirs? And what about other planets in the stellar system where we live? We can certainly try to use Mars for our benefit, but can we claim it as our property? Who exactly writes those property deeds?

I think it would be helpful for humanity if, instead of fighting against anything for the right to own everything, we learned how to use common resources collectively and effectively, sharing them with other human and non-human living beings that not only enrich the biological diversity of this "corner" of the universe, but upon which our lives inextricably depend.

I don't think the Earth is our planet; I think it is the planet on which we happen to live. But I may be wrong, it may be ours or even someone else's. What do you think?

Regardless of this planet's ownership, I hope you'll enjoy it today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 12:17 PM
RE: Earth. Our planet?
The most stupid thing human beings ever fell to was the conception of nations.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
30-05-2014, 01:02 PM
(30-05-2014 12:17 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  The most stupid thing human beings ever fell to was the conception of nations.

Maybe not the stupidest, but stupid nonetheless.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
31-05-2014, 07:08 AM
(30-05-2014 12:08 PM)living thing Wrote:  One of the least helpful cultural influences that I find in judeochristian religion, although it is probably based on earlier neolithic traditions, is how it tends to depict the land, and non-human things that live on it, as a gift from the god thing to (his chosen) people, for them to exploit at will. Consequently, (his chosen) people often act as if the land, and anything that may roam or stand on it, were our property. We can use it, exchange it for money, give it away or even destroy it at will.

But to what extent is the planet on which we live our own? Is the Earth more mine than it is yours? Does it belong to us more than it did to human beings living a few thousand years ago? Is it more ours than it will be our great-great-great-grandchildren's? Is it more ours than it is fishes', reptiles' or birds'? Bacteria inhabited this planet long before anything resembling a human being walked on its surface; using our "it's mine because I got here first" frequent logic, shouldn't "our" planet be theirs? And what about other planets in the stellar system where we live? We can certainly try to use Mars for our benefit, but can we claim it as our property? Who exactly writes those property deeds?

I think it would be helpful for humanity if, instead of fighting against anything for the right to own everything, we learned how to use common resources collectively and effectively, sharing them with other human and non-human living beings that not only enrich the biological diversity of this "corner" of the universe, but upon which our lives inextricably depend.

I don't think the Earth is our planet; I think it is the planet on which we happen to live. But I may be wrong, it may be ours or even someone else's. What do you think?

Regardless of this planet's ownership, I hope you'll enjoy it today.

No it is not ours, it's mine. I'm just letting everyone crash here until they find a new place.Smile

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 5 users Like true scotsman's post
31-05-2014, 07:21 AM
(31-05-2014 07:08 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  No it is not ours, it's mine. I'm just letting everyone crash here until they find a new place.Smile

No, true scotsman - it's mine. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-05-2014, 07:36 AM
The planet is ours ? Isnt that kind of like the flea saying the dog is his? I see the flea (us) as nothing more then an annoyance and a possible health problem to the dog (earth/planet).

I like the first Matrix analogy that said, humans are like a virus on this planet, it infects everything it touches and gives nothing back. (going by memory)

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
31-05-2014, 07:53 AM
(31-05-2014 07:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 07:08 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  No it is not ours, it's mine. I'm just letting everyone crash here until they find a new place.Smile

No, true scotsman - it's mine. Big Grin

Let's arm wrestle for it!Wink

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
31-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Hello all, thanks for your answers!

I agree that nationalisms are stupid. Maybe not the absolute stupidest ideas, but I'd say among the stupidest. Believing that human beings are somehow different by virtue of their nationality is stupid; there are helpers and parasites from all nationalities.

For the love of St. God Thing! No true scotsman would do that!

Yeah, I think "crashing" may a good way to put what we're doing here, in more than one way. Taking this on from a different thread, we are undoubtedly a creative species, but we can also be among the most destructive. With imagination comes great power; unfortunately, responsibility comes with wisdom and that is not always sought or gathered.

(31-05-2014 07:36 AM)War Horse Wrote:  The planet is ours ? Isnt that kind of like the flea saying the dog is his? I see the flea (us) as nothing more then an annoyance and a possible health problem to the dog (earth/planet).
Maybe -only maybe- when two dogs are near each other, their fleas get together and have conversations like...

Flea #1: What does your dog taste like?
Flea #2: Tits! Yours?
Flea #1: My dog tastes like shit.
Flea #2: Dunno. Try moving away from the anus, or something.

... but I don't think they do.

(31-05-2014 07:36 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I like the first Matrix analogy that said, humans are like a virus on this planet, it infects everything it touches and gives nothing back. (going by memory)
He he... I like this joke.

But we can give something back. We can cooperate with each other and turn humanity into a super organism capable of helping life overlast the star from which we've drawn most of our energy, we just need to stop this stupid competition to find the greatest human. Who cares who the greatest human is? We all have our greatnesses and if we put them together we can build something that is truly great. Or maybe not, I might be just being carried away by the bollocks.

Have fun, everyone!
[+] 2 users Like living thing's post
31-05-2014, 08:53 AM
(31-05-2014 07:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
No, true scotsman

How long have you been waiting to use that one? Big Grin

(31-05-2014 08:09 AM)living thing Wrote:  ...
But we can give something back. We can cooperate with each other and turn humanity into a super organism capable of helping life overlast the star from which we've drawn most of our energy, we just need to stop this stupid competition to find the greatest human. Who cares who the greatest human is? We all have our greatnesses and if we put them together we can build something that is truly great. Or maybe not, I might be just being carried away by the bollocks.

Have fun, everyone!

Sure. Let's get on this.

Obviously we would need a globally recognised governance system.

Then some programme and project management.

You write the Business Case and I'll start working on the Product Breakdown Structure.

Everyone else can work on securing a budget.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-05-2014, 09:28 AM
(31-05-2014 08:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sure. Let's get on this.

Obviously we would need a globally recognised governance system.

Then some programme and project management.

You write the Business Case and I'll start working on the Product Breakdown Structure.

Everyone else can work on securing a budget.

Thumbsup
Sounds like a great plan to me! I get to write the bollocks while everyone else works, how could *that* ever go wrong?

Although I don't know, I don't think the social model of one writer and many workers has been proved quite successful.
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post