Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone
If this turns out to be remotely true. I love news like this!

Someone has some'splainin to do!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/spa...51656310/1

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 03:47 PM
RE: Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone
(05-12-2011 03:40 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  If this turns out to be remotely true. I love news like this!

Someone has some'splainin to do!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/spa...51656310/1

Too bad it's 600 light years away. It'd take us like 100000 years to get there. Fucking huge ass universe always making things difficult.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
lmao yeah true, but if more research is done and it is confirmed habitable that will possibly kick us in a higher gear......I am doubtful though Sad

— idiot adjective

05-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Well, if neutrinos can travel faster than light, then maybe light speed is achievable? Or if we can figure this whole "worm-hole" thing we would be golden. I am sure HouseofCantor has some info on this, but I may be unable to digest it. Worth a shot HOC?

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Kepler 22b is actually God's testsite B. In this version he didn't plant the talking snake but replaced it with Justin Bieber...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 2 users Like Thammuz's post
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 04:20 PM by Clint Barnett.)
(05-12-2011 04:15 PM)Thammuz Wrote:  Kepler 22b is actually God's testsite B. In this version he didn't plant the talking snake but replaced it with Justin Bieber...

Oh really! I knew it.... Cool
(05-12-2011 04:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, if neutrinos can travel faster than light, then maybe light speed is achievable? Or if we can figure this whole "worm-hole" thing we would be golden. I am sure HouseofCantor has some info on this, but I may be unable to digest it. Worth a shot HOC?

I do believe (could be mistaken) our closest technology to this type of space travel would most likely come in the form of nuclear power. Plasma engines are a possibility. I haven't looked into it in a while. Unfortunately too many people are scared of nuclear power and it has been sitting on the back burner for far too long.

I just hope they send some sort of probe in that direction to get more info.

— idiot adjective

05-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I have heard of the plasma idea as well. The really cool part (if I remember it correctly) is that a field around the ship would be created that would act as a shield against radiation. Pretty sweet theory, now for the application!

05-12-2011, 04:25 PM

(05-12-2011 03:47 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Too bad it's 600 light years away. It'd take us like 100000 years to get there. Fucking huge ass universe always making things difficult.

All we know is that it was there 600 years ago. If it is habitable, and was inhabited by creatures like us, it may have blown itself up 599 years ago and we wouldn't know it till next year.

On the other hand, if they are still there, they can feel safe being that far away, because we just can't spread civilization among those savages and introduce them to jesus christ.

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Zatamon's post
05-12-2011, 04:27 PM
We should send them pulses of light in binary that says "Beware of the mormons...and the christians...and jewish...and the muslim...you know what? If you see us coming...just blow us up...the ships probably have bibles on them...yea...that will work out much better for you."

[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
(05-12-2011 04:25 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 03:47 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Too bad it's 600 light years away. It'd take us like 100000 years to get there. Fucking huge ass universe always making things difficult.

All we know is that it was there 600 years ago. If it is habitable, and was inhabited by creatures like us, it may have blown itself up 599 years ago and we wouldn't know it till next year.

On the other hand, if they are still there, they can feel safe being that far away, because we just can't spread civilization among those savages and introduce them to jesus christ.

Big Grin

I read a few other news articles on this so far. Yeah i get all excited about new science news lol.

This planet was discovered in 2009, they hadn't had confirmation it was a planet until now. It had passed in front of its sun 3 times to be confirmed.

— idiot adjective

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Earth to get hit with a glancing blow by a CME from Solar Flares. JDog554 0 71 12-06-2014 07:45 PM
Last Post: JDog554
  ISS earth viewing CindysRain 10 162 06-06-2014 05:06 AM
Last Post: Chas
  First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed JDog554 38 507 20-04-2014 11:24 PM
Last Post: Banjo
  Planet Yahweh and its moon, Jesus Bible Belt Brawler 4 105 07-04-2014 08:38 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  New Drawf planet found beyond Pluto Eva 4 100 31-03-2014 02:20 PM
Last Post: Blackhand293
  Chariklo- the newly discovered asteroid with rings Bows and Arrows 1 79 26-03-2014 02:30 PM
Last Post: Marozz
  What would the discovery of life on another planet mean? WillHopp 32 679 28-02-2014 03:21 PM
Last Post: Heywood Jahblome