Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2011, 04:40 PM

RE: Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone
That's absolutely spectacular. To think, there could be more people out there.
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 04:56 PM
(05-12-2011 04:17 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 04:15 PM)Thammuz Wrote:  Kepler 22b is actually God's testsite B. In this version he didn't plant the talking snake but replaced it with Justin Bieber...

Oh really! I knew it.... Cool
(05-12-2011 04:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, if neutrinos can travel faster than light, then maybe light speed is achievable? Or if we can figure this whole "worm-hole" thing we would be golden. I am sure HouseofCantor has some info on this, but I may be unable to digest it. Worth a shot HOC?

I do believe (could be mistaken) our closest technology to this type of space travel would most likely come in the form of nuclear power. Plasma engines are a possibility. I haven't looked into it in a while. Unfortunately too many people are scared of nuclear power and it has been sitting on the back burner for far too long.

I just hope they send some sort of probe in that direction to get more info.

Not in our lifetimes. A probe would have to travel at 50 times the speed of light to get there in a reasonable amount of time. 63 times faster would still take a decade to get there.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Never say not in our lifetime. The world of science is full of surprises and we may see one yet. Honestly of that neutrino shows to have actually travelled faster than light 2 times no less, it will change what we know of science. Suddenly everything seems possible again. Spirits are lifted money flows like the ice caps hurdling towards us. Ahhh science is fucking cool.
Plus whether the planet is inhabited currently or not it sure goes a long way towards destroying creationist arguments. Like the one where they say that it's so unlikely that there could be another planet that could have just the right environment to support life. We could just be all like... Well what about lucradisland? Ya in yo face nutjobs!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm like you. I'm always hopeful we will find a way to discover more. I think we as the human race can accomplish many things. If only we can get over our petty ways and of course toss enough money at the situation. Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
06-12-2011, 09:13 AM
As rapidly expanding as science and tech are I still can't see us getting there any time soon. Not only did it take nearly a century to go from the theory of relativity to possibly moving particles faster than the speed of light but we still have a whole solar system to explore. I'm almost certain it'll be 500-1000 years before a human leaves the solar system.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 09:37 AM
germany you are ruining my day. I am at heart a realist, but there are certain things that I like to be optimistic about. Now I am sad and shall consider ritual suicide. No I guess I won't instead I'll just act like it's another day the same as the last... maybe a little colder... but otherwise the same.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-12-2011, 09:58 AM
(06-12-2011 09:37 AM)lucradis Wrote:  germany you are ruining my day. I am at heart a realist, but there are certain things that I like to be optimistic about. Now I am sad and shall consider ritual suicide. No I guess I won't instead I'll just act like it's another day the same as the last... maybe a little colder... but otherwise the same.

Mah bad brah.

Here, to make you feel better.

[Image: eagle-nebula.jpg]
[Image: Tarantula_Nebula.jpg]

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks, that is pretty awesome. I love looking at all of those nasa space shots. So much cool shit in space.

[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-12-2011, 12:20 PM
(06-12-2011 09:13 AM)germanyt Wrote:  As rapidly expanding as science and tech are I still can't see us getting there any time soon. Not only did it take nearly a century to go from the theory of relativity to possibly moving particles faster than the speed of light but we still have a whole solar system to explore. I'm almost certain it'll be 500-1000 years before a human leaves the solar system.

Carl Sagan worked this out for us already in Contact.
We'll be leaving any day now...as soon as SETI can interpret the Radio data.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
(06-12-2011 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 09:13 AM)germanyt Wrote:  As rapidly expanding as science and tech are I still can't see us getting there any time soon. Not only did it take nearly a century to go from the theory of relativity to possibly moving particles faster than the speed of light but we still have a whole solar system to explore. I'm almost certain it'll be 500-1000 years before a human leaves the solar system.

Carl Sagan worked this out for us already in Contact.
We'll be leaving any day now...as soon as SETI can interpret the Radio data.

An awesome movie. I still never understood exactly where Jodie Foster ended up. I get that she went somewhere and that the visual of the beach was placed there so it'd be something familiar to her but WTF was really going on? Heaven?

-Mark Twain