Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
RE: Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone
(06-12-2011 02:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 09:13 AM)germanyt Wrote:  As rapidly expanding as science and tech are I still can't see us getting there any time soon. Not only did it take nearly a century to go from the theory of relativity to possibly moving particles faster than the speed of light but we still have a whole solar system to explore. I'm almost certain it'll be 500-1000 years before a human leaves the solar system.

Carl Sagan worked this out for us already in Contact.
We'll be leaving any day now...as soon as SETI can interpret the Radio data.

An awesome movie. I still never understood exactly where Jodie Foster ended up. I get that she went somewhere and that the visual of the beach was placed there so it'd be something familiar to her but WTF was really going on? Heaven?

Not heaven, no. But this advanced intelligence could connect directly with her mind, as well as having (seemingly) mastered space/time.

This is Carl Sagan, remember. He did not believe in heaven.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
As long as there is aggression among humans, Space travel of the kind needed to reach a 600 light year planet is out of reach.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
(06-12-2011 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 02:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 09:13 AM)germanyt Wrote:  As rapidly expanding as science and tech are I still can't see us getting there any time soon. Not only did it take nearly a century to go from the theory of relativity to possibly moving particles faster than the speed of light but we still have a whole solar system to explore. I'm almost certain it'll be 500-1000 years before a human leaves the solar system.

Carl Sagan worked this out for us already in Contact.
We'll be leaving any day now...as soon as SETI can interpret the Radio data.

An awesome movie. I still never understood exactly where Jodie Foster ended up. I get that she went somewhere and that the visual of the beach was placed there so it'd be something familiar to her but WTF was really going on? Heaven?

Not heaven, no. But this advanced intelligence could connect directly with her mind, as well as having (seemingly) mastered space/time.

This is Carl Sagan, remember. He did not believe in heaven.

I know who Sagan is but was not aware of his involvement in this movie. I'm not very up on his work.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 03:27 PM by houseofcantor.)
(05-12-2011 04:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, if neutrinos can travel faster than light, then maybe light speed is achievable? Or if we can figure this whole "worm-hole" thing we would be golden. I am sure HouseofCantor has some info on this, but I may be unable to digest it. Worth a shot HOC?

Partly what the "set theory" was about. The current leading edge is here, researching teleportation through quantum entanglement; my peculiar spin is that superposition may be used as a sort of window to either "see" these cinderella worlds, or "hear" the "frequency of life" through the void. Once such a world is found and the calculations of our relative velocities established, it's doorway building time. Wink
Plasma drives, ion ramscoops, nuclear bomblets, solar sails; all are signs of the innovation of the human and the potential of science. In considering "wormhole of tao," Ido not suggest that any thought along these lines should be abanboned; because we are intelligence, and these speculative developments are using that intelligence.

The way the science is shaping up, a "wormhole of tao" may be limited to projecting conscious identity across the cosmos; the starcraft may be required for commerce, industry, shipping, and system travel. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
06-12-2011, 03:55 PM
(06-12-2011 02:51 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I know who Sagan is but was not aware of his involvement in this movie. I'm not very up on his work.

He wrote the novel Contact that the movie is based on.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-12-2011, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 04:19 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(05-12-2011 03:51 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  lmao yeah true, but if more research is done and it is confirmed habitable that will possibly kick us in a higher gear......I am doubtful though Sad

Higher gear for what exactly? Human space exploration is currently not feasible given our level of technology.
Maybe if we can not wipe ourselves out for another century or two, then we could send out a space ship colony that would take numerous generations just to get there.
06-12-2011, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 04:27 PM by germanyt.)
(06-12-2011 03:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 04:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Well, if neutrinos can travel faster than light, then maybe light speed is achievable? Or if we can figure this whole "worm-hole" thing we would be golden. I am sure HouseofCantor has some info on this, but I may be unable to digest it. Worth a shot HOC?

Partly what the "set theory" was about. The current leading edge is here, researching teleportation through quantum entanglement; my peculiar spin is that superposition may be used as a sort of window to either "see" these cinderella worlds, or "hear" the "frequency of life" through the void. Once such a world is found and the calculations of our relative velocities established, it's doorway building time. Wink
Plasma drives, ion ramscoops, nuclear bomblets, solar sails; all are signs of the innovation of the human and the potential of science. In considering "wormhole of tao," Ido not suggest that any thought along these lines should be abanboned; because we are intelligence, and these speculative developments are using that intelligence.

The way the science is shaping up, a "wormhole of tao" may be limited to projecting conscious identity across the cosmos; the starcraft may be required for commerce, industry, shipping, and system travel. Wink

I'm not sold on teleportation. Somewhere, someone tried to do it and was not successful. Not for living beings or any large object at least. For 2 reasons. First, you can't disassemble a human or other living animal into particles and put it back together as the same living thing. Second, the time it woudl take to break down 1 average sized person into bits of information and reassemble them would be incredible. It probably would require more data storage than any 1 system currently has.
(06-12-2011 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 02:51 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I know who Sagan is but was not aware of his involvement in this movie. I'm not very up on his work.

He wrote the novel Contact that the movie is based on.

I did not realize.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-12-2011, 05:39 PM
(06-12-2011 04:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm not sold on teleportation.

Don't be. Teleportation is crap. Wink

The link is to show the direction science is taking in researching entanglement. That's the key term, in terms of current practicalities. It is my contention that said research will lead to a greater understanding of superposition. It is from these potential developments in superposition that the lighbulb in my head gets its glow.

It's an "every point is the same point" consideration; and it's been considered by many. Now, however, science may be approaching that consideration; and yesterday's blue-sky philosophy may yet be tomorrow's practical technology. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
06-12-2011, 08:58 PM
(06-12-2011 04:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 03:51 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  lmao yeah true, but if more research is done and it is confirmed habitable that will possibly kick us in a higher gear......I am doubtful though Sad

Higher gear for what exactly? Human space exploration is currently not feasible given our level of technology.
Maybe if we can not wipe ourselves out for another century or two, then we could send out a space ship colony that would take numerous generations just to get there.

Our current technology is lacking I will agree. I also know what we could accomplish with our current technology. Unfortunately we have a cash value and motivation problem. I'm not saying we could reach 600 light years. Voyager just became the closest vessel we've had to pluto. It was travelling a million Kilometers a day for the last 6 or 7 years. Obviously we'll drag our feet, we can't even stand together to house and feed the starving.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
(06-12-2011 05:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 04:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I'm not sold on teleportation.

Don't be. Teleportation is crap. Wink

The link is to show the direction science is taking in researching entanglement. That's the key term, in terms of current practicalities. It is my contention that said research will lead to a greater understanding of superposition. It is from these potential developments in superposition that the lighbulb in my head gets its glow.

It's an "every point is the same point" consideration; and it's been considered by many. Now, however, science may be approaching that consideration; and yesterday's blue-sky philosophy may yet be tomorrow's practical technology. Wink

I recently read the articles on diamond entanglement. Very interesting stuff. The fact that this whole other world of physics exists is mind blowing. Things that most people couldnt' even imagine in science fiction are now becoming science fact.

-Mark Twain