Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
RE: Earth-like planet discovered in 'habitable' zone
I'm not going to get my hopes up, I've heard stories like this many times then never hear about that planet again. It'd be nice if they at least took some pictures of it!

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
(07-12-2011 04:30 PM)Spectre Wrote:  I'm not going to get my hopes up, I've heard stories like this many times then never hear about that planet again. It'd be nice if they at least took some pictures of it!

They can't take visible light photos of it. No telescope 'zooms' far enough. All we get are non visible light images and then artists come up with drawings of what it might look like. Even the pictures of the nebula I posted aren't visible light. The colors you see are placed there to show infrared and ultraviolet light.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
(07-12-2011 04:30 PM)Spectre Wrote:  I'm not going to get my hopes up, I've heard stories like this many times then never hear about that planet again. It'd be nice if they at least took some pictures of it!

OK....here is a pic of it
[Image: Backyard_Landscaping_7.jpg]

And this certainly not some dudes backyard....and umm that thing on the left...thats a...rock.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
09-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes, they can't take photos of it because they discovered it from the amount of light it blocks from the star. They have no idea what it looks like except it could be roughly earth-sized and that it's in the "Goldilocks Zone," the area where it's not too hot for water to evaporate and not to cool for it to freeze. That is assuming that there is water there or that water is even needed for life at all. Hope this helps Smile
09-12-2011, 02:19 PM
(09-12-2011 02:01 PM)KnuckleTurtle Wrote:  Yes, they can't take photos of it because they discovered it from the amount of light it blocks from the star. They have no idea what it looks like except it could be roughly earth-sized and that it's in the "Goldilocks Zone," the area where it's not too hot for water to evaporate and not to cool for it to freeze. That is assuming that there is water there or that water is even needed for life at all. Hope this helps Smile

This. Why are we hung up on the idea that water is necessary for life? There could be life somewhere that lives off liquid ammonia or nitrogen.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
(09-12-2011 02:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 02:01 PM)KnuckleTurtle Wrote:  Yes, they can't take photos of it because they discovered it from the amount of light it blocks from the star. They have no idea what it looks like except it could be roughly earth-sized and that it's in the "Goldilocks Zone," the area where it's not too hot for water to evaporate and not to cool for it to freeze. That is assuming that there is water there or that water is even needed for life at all. Hope this helps Smile

This. Why are we hung up on the idea that water is necessary for life? There could be life somewhere that lives off liquid ammonia or nitrogen.

There's math involved. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
(09-12-2011 02:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Please explain.

-Mark Twain
09-12-2011, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 02:36 PM by houseofcantor.)
(09-12-2011 02:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Please explain.

To a guy who calls Georg Cantor a numerologist and me a flake? Will that be an explanation? Wink

I'll go see if I can find some links right now. Wink
I mean, there's more math, but this link just jumped out at me. Wink

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/l...-life.html

Here's a guy who made it his blog: http://water-is-life.blogspot.com/ - expect agenda. Wink

Here's some more agenda, but the association with quantum electrodynamics is interesting : http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Quantum_Coherent_Water_Life.php

09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
(09-12-2011 02:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

Please explain.

Because math is always involved. Cool

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM
(09-12-2011 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 02:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

Please explain.

Because math is always involved. Cool

Always. Dang math... Tongue