Earth's Scale

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Earth's Scale
I'm new here so I'm sure if this is a dupe. I searched but didn't find anything.

I found this interesting. Of course I knew that the Earth was quite tiny and insignificant relative to other things in the galaxy or universe but this kind of puts it into perspective

[Image: 462.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Realist Mike's post
27-12-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: Earth's Scale
(27-12-2012 06:00 PM)Realist Mike Wrote:  I'm new here so I'm sure if this is a dupe. I searched but didn't find anything.

I found this interesting. Of course I knew that the Earth was quite tiny and insignificant relative to other things in the galaxy or universe but this kind of puts it into perspective

Very nice, I hadn't seen that one. Thanks.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 06:24 PM by earmuffs.)
Wow, that was really neat thanks for that.

Though it's wrong. VY Canis Majoris isn't the largest known star, NML Cygni is.
Common mistake.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
27-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I like the edited version where the very last picture has an outline of a woman with the label "YOUR MOM".
[+] 3 users Like PoolBoyG's post
27-12-2012, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 11:19 PM by Vosur.)
(27-12-2012 06:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wow, that was really neat thanks for that.

Common mistake.
This is perhaps the first time that one of your posts has been useful to me. Consider

Of course I'm just fucking with you, 'muffs. [Image: pGS0W.gif]

Up until now I thought that VY Canis Majoris was indeed the largest star we know of, so thanks for the information. Although it should be noted that there are different ways to determine "largest". VY Canis Majoris has the biggest known radius, R136a1 the highest amount of mass and NML Cygni has the biggest volume.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
27-12-2012, 09:50 PM
(27-12-2012 09:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 06:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wow, that was really neat thanks for that.

Common mistake.
This may be the first time that any of your posts has ever been useful to me. Consider

Of course I'm just fucking with you, 'muffs. [Image: pGS0W.gif]

Up until now I thought that VY Canis Majoris was indeed the largest star we know of, so thanks for the information. Although it should be noted that there are different ways to determine "largest". VY Canis Majoris has the biggest known radius, R136a1 the highest amount of mass and NML Cygni has the biggest volume.
Ummm, what am I missing? How can the largest radius not be the same as biggest volume?

Do you mean something else by volume than, um, volume?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-12-2012, 10:50 PM
(27-12-2012 06:00 PM)Realist Mike Wrote:  I'm new here so I'm sure if this is a dupe. I searched but didn't find anything.

Cool. Here's another one:
http://scaleofuniverse.com/
27-12-2012, 11:17 PM
(27-12-2012 09:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ummm, what am I missing? How can the largest radius not be the same as biggest volume?

Do you mean something else by volume than, um, volume?
Excellent question. Upon further investigation, it turns out that I misread one of the Wikipedia articles. You're correct, NML Cygni has the biggest volume because it also has the biggest radius.

Thanks for the correction, I edited my post accordingly.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]