East Wind from China

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 01:52 AM
RE: East Wind from China
I'm totally serious. Most countries do without a nuclear arsenal and pretty much universally they have far less reason to worry about being blown into oblivion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
16-04-2017, 02:03 AM
(15-04-2017 09:32 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Perhaps. Or perhaps we'll opt for point-defense of valuable targets.

Thump,

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...4bbf7b.jpg

As you mentioned before, this topic has some history.

D.
16-04-2017, 02:21 AM
(16-04-2017 01:52 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm totally serious. Most countries do without a nuclear arsenal and pretty much universally they have far less reason to worry about being blown into oblivion.

Fred,

Too true.

This is the rub for me. Here in the cash strapped UK we shell out for a US nuke system (Trident) and we don't even have control of the codes! Never hear the Brexit lot mention that little fact.

In WWII those in the know called Britain 'the largest US aircraft carrier'. I've no complaints about that, as the Yanks gave us much needed help, especially with the convoys. But, a nuclear 'umbrella' works both ways when the raining starts.

I'm no pacifist, but the fact is that the cold war never went away, and the US just doesn't have the lid on nuclear proliferation (refer to OP). The more they do, the more others will do and one day someone will light the fuse.

Hmm, We are all suicide bombers now. Drinking Beverage

D.
16-04-2017, 11:07 AM
East Wind from China
(16-04-2017 01:52 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm totally serious. Most countries do without a nuclear arsenal and pretty much universally they have far less reason to worry about being blown into oblivion.

The worst thing that ever happened was the invention of the nuclear bomb. I wish they didn't exist. It's horrifying just thinking about it.

With that said, I think it would be a mistake for the US to disarm. The other side won't disarm under any circumstance. It would be just a matter of time before they would take the world over. Unfortunately there needs to be a balance of power.

The small countries that don't have them are fine because of the large nuclear capable countries having them under their umbrella.

I don't expect you will agree with me and that's fine. We both agree that they are horrible.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
16-04-2017, 11:29 AM
When you say it would be a mistake to disarm what I hear you saying is they are acceptable. For you to claim we share a common ground in that we both consider them horrible...I'm not feeling that. You have a way of justifying their continued existence. I don't. The way I see it you want to have your cake and eat it, too. If you think they're horrible demand your government disarm. If not your real adjective is tolerable not horrible.
16-04-2017, 11:33 AM
East Wind from China
(16-04-2017 11:29 AM)ImFred Wrote:  When you say it would be a mistake to disarm what I hear you saying is they are acceptable. For you to claim we share a common ground in that we both consider them horrible...I'm not feeling that. You have a way of justifying their continued existence. I don't. The way I see it you want to have your cake and eat it, too. If you think they're horrible demand your government disarm. If not your real adjective is tolerable not horrible.

I m glad you can read my mind so you know exactly how I feel. That's quite a talent you have there.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
16-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Quote:I think it would be a mistake for the US to disarm

I'm not reading your thoughts; I'm reading your words.
16-04-2017, 12:14 PM
(16-04-2017 11:07 AM)KUSA Wrote:  With that said, I think it would be a mistake for the US to disarm. The other side won't disarm under any circumstance. It would be just a matter of time before they would take the world over. Unfortunately there needs to be a balance of power.

I have to say, I felt a lot safer before the Iron Curtain fell and the demise of the Soviet Union. Of course, the USA can't disarm unilaterally. But the question is how many hundreds or thousands of times over any country has to be able to destroy the world.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
16-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Unilateral disarmament is unrealistic. It ignores the realities on the ground.

Sure, the other countries might disarm. Or they might feel emboldened to push their advantages further.

I find deterrence more acceptable than nuclear blackmail. If that makes me a bad guy, so be it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-04-2017, 12:53 PM
How long do you think mankind can carry on before we have a nuclear holocaust?

If your answer isn't forever how do you propose we deal with this situation?