Easter Bunny, Then Tooth Fairy, Then god, Then Santa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Easter Bunny, Then Tooth Fairy, Then god, Then Santa
Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself and say a little bit about where I've come from. I grew up in a somewhat christian household. We said grace before dinner and went to church, I sang in the choir, all that stuff, but I never had religion forced down my throat at all, and I suspect that my parents weren't seriously religious back then, if they had been religious at all.

Basically, the title of this thread comes from the order in which I stopped believing. I'm not entirely sure what happened with the easter bunny, but I woke up one easter morning and everybody was really somber and quiet, and I remember that soon afterwards I was just told that the easter bunny doesn't exist, and I accepted it. I think that one of my younger brothers had caught my parents stuffing the easter baskets or something.

I would never dream of saying I was clever or intelligent in those days, because this revelation did nothing to my belief in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus. But I will say that I was quite inquisitive. I was allergic to a great number of things in my youth, and I was amazed to discover how resourceful the easter bunny turned out to be, as my basket was filled with corn-syrup-free and dairy-free candies that I could enjoy. The thing is, those candies were the sorts of things my mom got for me at the local health food store, and a day later I had found half-empty bags of those candies in one of the upper pantry cabinets. Something vaguely resembling a realization clicked there, I noted it as significant, but I brushed it off and didn't reject the easter bunny until the mysterious incident described above.

Next was the tooth fairy. I was far from skeptical, and I was very gullible, but I imagine I was still quite tough to keep these sorts of charades around, because I asked a TON of questions. I wrote letters to the tooth fairy, and I got answers (had I any knowledge of my mom's handwriting I may have discovered it then and there). One night, I took a plastic disposable cup and poured out a bunch of toothpaste into it and left it out, with the label "Tooth Polish", the way you'd leave out cookies and milk for Santa Claus. When I woke up the next morning, it was gone, but a few days later I walked into my parents' bathroom and discovered the cup of toothpaste just lying there in the trash. I don't know whether I had gotten a bit brighter or if the evidence was harder to dismiss in this case, but whichever it was, I immediately grabbed it and confronted my parents about it, smiling and yelling "You have some explaining to do!"

They then gave me a solemn lecture that, upon reflection today, kinda felt like I was being inducted into a dark secret society, explaining that now that I understood, it was my responsibility not to blab about it to my younger brothers, or to the neighbor's children, and that I may wind up having to do the job myself sometimes. That last part never happened, but I kept my promise not to ruin it for anybody else.

Some time after that I stopped believing in god, while I still called myself a christian. I thought there was a difference, and I continued to think this way until around the middle of 9th grade, at which point I decided to call myself an atheist. I'm honestly not sure about the details of this, but I do have memories where I believed in santa claus but not god. I loved Santa Claus, I thought he was an awesome person, going around and delivering presents to everybody in the world every year. I tried helping him out. At one point I cut out every coupon from the holiday edition of the Lego magazine I was subscribed to, and mailed them along with my Christmas wishlist to santa. By this point, however, the warning lights in my head were more finely-calibrated, and when I heard Dad's comments about the prices of certain things I wanted as if he would be buying them, I started getting suspicious. It actually reached a point where, get this, I believed in santa claus in a sort of metaphorical sense, until one night I stayed up, pretending to be asleep (My room was positioned in a place where mom and dad had to walk past the door to get from their room to downstairs), and sure enough, I witnessed the whole operation. Once again, they asked me to keep quiet about it, and I helped them out for a few more years until my brothers finally connected the dots as well.

Today though, my atheism is mostly from a moral standpoint rather than a logical one. Sure, there's no evidence that god exists, but what I find more compelling is the fact that if god does exist, almost every religion on earth has to be overselling him/her/it.

I'm referring to the problem of evil, which is quite a tired cliche, so I like to rephrase it: If god exists, and if god is all powerful and all knowing, then it stands to reason that such a god will make whatever universe that god wishes to make, with every detail and aspect to this god's precise liking, without any design constraints, needs to compromise, or any need to choose the lesser of two evils. If such a god exists, then this world is exactly the world that god desires, and changing it would only make it worse from this god's perspective.

Let that sink in, and then read the statistics about the horrible things happening to people at this very moment, and then imagine the god who sees the addition of their suffering as an improvement, and I trust you'll see why rebuttals like "Free Will" don't really put me at ease.

Here's to fun times in the future,

RaustBD Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RaustBD's post
03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: Easter Bunny, Then Tooth Fairy, Then god, Then Santa
(02-12-2012 07:13 PM)RaustBD Wrote:  Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself and say a little bit about ...

They then gave me a solemn lecture that, upon reflection today, kinda felt like I was being inducted into a dark secret society, explaining that now that I understood, it was my responsibility not to blab about it to my younger brothers, or to the neighbor's children,

A little? Ohmy

I wonder how many trainee priests are told the same thing.... shhh, don't spoil it for everyone else.

I love how Santa was last. That's funny.

Welcome aboard Raust.

Everyone else,
It's long but it's worth reading.
Thumbsup

03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Howdy, Rauster.

(02-12-2012 07:13 PM)RaustBD Wrote:  I'm referring to the problem of evil, which is quite a tired cliche, so I like to rephrase it: If god exists, and if god is all powerful and all knowing, then it stands to reason that such a god will make whatever universe that god wishes to make, with every detail and aspect to this god's precise liking, without any design constraints, needs to compromise, or any need to choose the lesser of two evils. If such a god exists, then this world is exactly the world that god desires, and changing it would only make it worse from this god's perspective.

Die beste aller möglichen Welten. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.