Easter services

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2014, 02:43 PM
RE: Easter services
No expectations this weekend, mom's out of town. Smile

When I do sit through it, I do a combo of listening to the stories and interpretation for informational purposes, enjoying the smell of that Catholic incense (I'm prob one of the few that like it, it's kind of nostalgic, I like my Catholic family growing up) and also people watching. Good time to day dream too, I love daydreaming. Also, not sure of your age but if you're in the young-enough or old-enough bracket, you can have a small snooze or two.

Peace be with you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
18-04-2014, 02:48 PM
(18-04-2014 11:45 AM)31:25 Wrote:  Anybody else gearing up for attending church services with their extended family this weekend? This is my first holiday as a (still-closeted) atheist, and I'm not really looking forward to sitting in the pew with my lovely-but-pious Catholic family. Any tips from seasoned de-converted atheists? Smile

Nope. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2014, 03:25 PM
At some point you have to stop living the lie or resign yourself to the misery. I'm glad I stepped out of those shoes years ago, I'm much happier now.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-04-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm new to rationality and free thought, too. Let's just enjoy watching the dogma show for now. Unless you want to goof on it a little.

If you're dragged to confession, you can entertain yourself by telling the priest that you feel bad about having recently attended a gay orgy and then hosting some nice folks from the Church of Satan for dinner. Or you can just ask him what he thought about the inquisition ("What do you think, padre? A little harsh?").

Happy Zombie Jesus Weekend!

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
[+] 2 users Like Virgo Supercluster's post
20-04-2014, 07:22 AM
(18-04-2014 01:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 11:45 AM)31:25 Wrote:  Anybody else gearing up for attending church services with their extended family this weekend? This is my first holiday as a (still-closeted) atheist, and I'm not really looking forward to sitting in the pew with my lovely-but-pious Catholic family. Any tips from seasoned de-converted atheists? Smile
I guess just try to make the best of it. Fortunately, it only lasts an hour or so. I honestly don't envy you. No

The last time I went to a Catholic service was at my father's funeral a few months ago. It was bad enough to be at a mass that I don't believe in, but it being his funeral made it even worse. Nothing there was for me when I was hurting as much as anyone else. But I made the best of it. I knelt when everyone else knelt and stood up when everyone else stood up out of respect for being in their environment. I couldn't bring myself to say the prayers though. I was going to stay in my seat for communion, but because we were the immediate family of the deceased, the priest brought communion to us. Ugh! That was awkward because I had to refuse it directly. My family knows I'm an atheist and considers it a sin for me to receive communion as an atheist so there was no real choice for me. Years ago, when I was still closeted and going to church with my family, I had received communion with everyone else. I had figured it's not real so I wasn't doing anything wrong by receiving it and didn't want to bring questions upon myself. That sounds like the position you may be in. So that's what I would probably do in your shoes.

I'll still take communion. I feel weirdly entitled to it since I was a strong Catholic for much of my life and am still "culturally Catholic" in some ways. Maybe that would change if my family knew the truth though.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. My mother passed away three years ago, and the reactions and statements made by my Christian family and friends were so off putting that I think it really influenced my current lack of belief. It just didn't work for me.

Ok, off to church!

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
[+] 1 user Likes 31:25's post
20-04-2014, 07:24 AM
(18-04-2014 02:43 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Peace be with you!

And also with you!

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
20-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I attended a salvation army concert (ie church service) at my grandmother-in-law's nursing home with my wife. It was kind of fun and quaint.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Cooking a ham for a neighbor whose family refuses to include ham on their Easter menu. Occasionally thinking, "Thank god, it's not burned yet!" in honor of the holiday and its ~deeper~ meaning.

See the glow from my halo?

Tongue

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
20-04-2014, 10:13 AM
(20-04-2014 07:22 AM)31:25 Wrote:  I'll still take communion. I feel weirdly entitled to it since I was a strong Catholic for much of my life and am still "culturally Catholic" in some ways.

If anything makes you entitled to it, it's the fact that they made you sit in a uncomfortable pew for an hour while a bunch of people spewed nonsense. The least you can get in return for that is a stale cracker and sip of wine.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
20-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Thank goodness I only have to suffer through Ostara. Nothing but candy and delicious food, no church services for me! Tongue

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Easter Special EvolutionKills 0 51 21-04-2014 10:19 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  My best easter fb post find MrKrispy601 10 238 21-04-2014 07:59 AM
Last Post: Anjele
  Happy Easter! JDog554 14 189 20-04-2014 08:12 PM
Last Post: JDog554
  Easter Challenge for Christians Bows and Arrows 39 727 20-04-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Let the Easter "If only atheists knew" articles, begin Hafnof 5 170 20-04-2014 08:13 AM
Last Post: Logisch
  Richard Carrier or Easter...? Raptor Jesus 20 304 13-04-2014 07:02 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Easter is coming, I want to understand this Jesus story proplayer44 76 1,357 04-04-2014 04:02 AM
Last Post: Dee