Easter services

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Easter services
(20-04-2014 07:22 AM)31:25 Wrote:  I'll still take communion. I feel weirdly entitled to it since I was a strong Catholic for much of my life and am still "culturally Catholic" in some ways. Maybe that would change if my family knew the truth though.
By now you've probably been to church. So, one question: did you say "thanks for the snack" after communion? Wink

(20-04-2014 07:22 AM)31:25 Wrote:  I'm sorry to hear about your father. My mother passed away three years ago, and the reactions and statements made by my Christian family and friends were so off putting that I think it really influenced my current lack of belief. It just didn't work for me.
Thanks, and sorry to hear about your mother too. What bothers me most is I feel as though I never really got to say "good-bye" to my father since the whole time was filled with all the woo distractions that benefited everyone else.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
20-04-2014, 04:05 PM
(18-04-2014 12:30 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 11:45 AM)31:25 Wrote:  Anybody else gearing up for attending church services with their extended family this weekend? This is my first holiday as a (still-closeted) atheist, and I'm not really looking forward to sitting in the pew with my lovely-but-pious Catholic family. Any tips from seasoned de-converted atheists? Smile

I go to church most Sundays with my wife and kids, and Easter will be no exception. The difference is that I'm not closeted about my atheism, and I'm mostly there as daycare for the kids. I know several of the people in the small-group service know I'm atheist. I haven't specifically told everyone else, but they've likely figured it out in that I haven't taken communion with them in years. Also, when we run around shaking hands saying "peace of Christ", I always say "peace be with you".

As for advice, assuming you don't want people to know you're an atheist, fake it as best as you can and be glad that it will all be over relatively soon. I suppose you could stage a lengthy bathroom run if you really need to get out of there for some particularly annoying part of the service, but it's really up to you.

Jeebus! You take your kids to church! You must have your reasons, but surely that is (in many ways) child abuse.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2014, 04:25 PM
I worked through time for church so I have a valid excuse to not go with my family Thumbsup

As for the tolerating church service, I'd sneak in a notepad to doodle with me. To everyone else it'd look like I was taking notes Tongue Somehow my mom never noticed. Get a conversation going on in your head so you don't have to hear the words over the pulpit. Or do listen but laugh on the inside and draw/write a response to it. Or go to sleep if you can get away from that. Maybe since you're Catholic, try to pull a Boondocks Saints, get up during the middle of the service, use the holy water like a bad-ass and walk out saying "I nomine parti et filii et spiritus sancti"

[Image: notagain.gif]
20-04-2014, 04:31 PM
(18-04-2014 11:45 AM)31:25 Wrote:  Anybody else gearing up for attending church services with their extended family this weekend? This is my first holiday as a (still-closeted) atheist, and I'm not really looking forward to sitting in the pew with my lovely-but-pious Catholic family. Any tips from seasoned de-converted atheists? Smile

Me in a church??????

Bwahahahahahahaha Big Grin Laugh out load Cool

"I am an Australian and I have no manners!"
Lt Col Oswald Watt.
Royal Australian Flying Corps.
20-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I did go to church, and I survived. Smile I found the following quote from the priest's homily interesting and applicable:

"Do not ignore the truth, even when those around you have forsaken it."

Sorry, Father. I think I interpreted that differently than you intended.

Overall, I expected to be more uncomfortable than I was. I haven't been in church for a while, and the last time I was, I was literally singing in the choir. It was easy to fall back in to the rituals and responses of the Mass. Easy to see how people (myself included) can ignore critical thinking in that environment. It's so comfortable and easy to go along with it.

Anyway, cheers to everyone who endured a church service or self righteous family member this weekend! I hope you at least got a chocolate bunny for your troubles.

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
[+] 4 users Like 31:25's post
20-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Wait, what? Today's easter?

Hm. I'll be damned!

No I won't [Image: smiley-laughing021.gif]

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
20-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Went to church this morning with the fam damily. I actually kind of enjoyed it overall. The music was pretty good, full band, four singers, piano, keyboard, three guitars, bass and a drum set.

The kids were good, but definitely not used to being in church. The three yr old ignored the whole thing and the littlest was bopping along to the tunes. Too friggin' cute.

It was the sermon that interested me the most, however. The preacher is an old family friend so it's fun to hear him speak anyway, but what he said perked me up a little.

The last time we visited and went to church was christmas, and I noticed the same theme going on with his preaching. There is definitely a preoccupation with whether or not god is real.

During the christmas sermon, he even came out with a couple of atheist arguments. It was odd to me because atheism isn't something I heard anything about in church growing up, or even in the past years while visiting again. His answers to the atheist position were very mildly apologetic, and he didn't dwell too much on any deep theological intricacies, mind you it was christmas and easter services. He also didn't in any way try to belittle the atheist position, but only tried to bolster the faith position.

This morning he didn't address the atheist position directly, but the entire sermon was overwhelmingly based on the question of "if this is real", "if this really happened, what does it mean?". It's just such a strange departure from the usual "of course this shit happened and hallelujah and good thing we ain't goin to hell now let's go eat" that you usually hear. There seemed to be some actual searching and questioning within the message he gave, without actually saying that he is either searching or questioning, but also without any sort of guilt trip that you shouldn't be.

But the fact that both of the last two sermons I've heard him give, on holidays nonetheless, had that undertone is actually a really interesting happenstance.

I'll take it as a sign that even in kansas reason can creep it's ugly head into even the strongest of faithful armor. So church wasn't all bad, plus my mom made up a huge feast with the traditional ham and turkey and all the fixins.

Plus on the way home we had to make an emergency stop on a gravel road so my three year old could take his first dump in a ditch. He pulled it off flawlessly. I couldn't have been a prouder dad. Big Grin

Happy easter everyone!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-04-2014, 08:30 PM
(18-04-2014 12:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-04-2014 12:08 PM)31:25 Wrote:  I imagine I'll find lots of ways to affirm my newish lack of belief.

All you have to do is look critically at what is actually going on at Easter mass. It's focused on someone dying a horrible death and coming back to life. Later, you get to eat part of him. Should be affirmation enough. Sorry you have to sit through that.

Nope. You get to eat all of him. "Body, blood, soul, and divinity". Tongue
(I wonder how many calories that is, how much protein, and how many carbs ?)
I went to church cuz my mom asked me to go with her and my brother. He's getting old enough to wonder. He looked at me funny .. so I said "just think of it as a play or a story being acted out". He looked like "oh, ok ... gotcha".
Good trumpeters and other brass players. Hot tympanist. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
20-04-2014, 08:33 PM
(20-04-2014 08:13 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Went to church this morning with the fam damily. I actually kind of enjoyed it overall. The music was pretty good, full band, four singers, piano, keyboard, three guitars, bass and a drum set.

The kids were good, but definitely not used to being in church. The three yr old ignored the whole thing and the littlest was bopping along to the tunes. Too friggin' cute.

It was the sermon that interested me the most, however. The preacher is an old family friend so it's fun to hear him speak anyway, but what he said perked me up a little.

The last time we visited and went to church was christmas, and I noticed the same theme going on with his preaching. There is definitely a preoccupation with whether or not god is real.

During the christmas sermon, he even came out with a couple of atheist arguments. It was odd to me because atheism isn't something I heard anything about in church growing up, or even in the past years while visiting again. His answers to the atheist position were very mildly apologetic, and he didn't dwell too much on any deep theological intricacies, mind you it was christmas and easter services. He also didn't in any way try to belittle the atheist position, but only tried to bolster the faith position.

This morning he didn't address the atheist position directly, but the entire sermon was overwhelmingly based on the question of "if this is real", "if this really happened, what does it mean?". It's just such a strange departure from the usual "of course this shit happened and hallelujah and good thing we ain't goin to hell now let's go eat" that you usually hear. There seemed to be some actual searching and questioning within the message he gave, without actually saying that he is either searching or questioning, but also without any sort of guilt trip that you shouldn't be.

But the fact that both of the last two sermons I've heard him give, on holidays nonetheless, had that undertone is actually a really interesting happenstance.

I'll take it as a sign that even in kansas reason can creep it's ugly head into even the strongest of faithful armor. So church wasn't all bad, plus my mom made up a huge feast with the traditional ham and turkey and all the fixins.

Plus on the way home we had to make an emergency stop on a gravel road so my three year old could take his first dump in a ditch. He pulled it off flawlessly. I couldn't have been a prouder dad. Big Grin

Happy easter everyone!

Interesting, thanks for sharing. That's definitely not a sermon one usually hears. I wonder if people discussed it at home afterwards or if it went over most heads.

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
20-04-2014, 08:35 PM
I did not go. Wife asked me if I wanted to go with her to a Good Friday service and I said no. We had a short but to the point discussion on how I do not agree with the church and have no interest in participating in something I do not agree with. I made the point to make sure to let he know if she wanted to go I would support her but not be attending with her. I also told her I would support the kids going if they wanted to go, but would not force them. When Sunday came around she did not ask me and did ask the kids. They decide to go. I headed to my parents to help my dad cook. No one bugged me about lack of attendance.