Easter with my family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Easter with my family
I'm a grandfather, age 50 with a grandson age 4.
A few in my family were able to get together this year at my grandmother's house. She turned 88 in March and is still in quite good health. She enjoys seeing everyone who can be there.

Easter has never been a religious holiday for us. In fact, none of the holidays that are typically religious ever have a religious tone among my relatives.

We get together for food and good times with family.
Before all large family get togethers there is a prayer. On such occasions my head is never bowed, eyes never closed.

But today, I was asked to give the prayer.
We all took hands and my words were simple.
"I want to thank everyone who could be here and thank those who made such wonderful food. Not sure what else to say. Amen."

So basically my Easter is family sharing our time together, eating some good food, telling stories and having an Easter egg hunt for the kids.

Besides the prayer, there is no mention of anything religious at all on any of our holidays.

I guess I was wondering if yours were similar.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
05-04-2015, 07:44 PM
RE: Easter with my family
Your family certainly made it more of an occasion than mine.
Mine can be surmised as: Playing a game on PC, mum come into room, gives my chocolate, I say thanks and it's done.

... Easter has never been a big thing in my family.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
05-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Growing up we never, ever did anything special for Easter. No special dinner and certainly no church. I didn't even know what the hell Easter was all about until I was about 12 or 13. Apparently some guy claimed to have come back to life. Yeah, sure, and I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

My mother thought the Easter bunny was stupid and so we kids never did an Easter egg hunt in the back yard. My father was an atheist so he was totally oblivious to the holiday. All in all I just thought of it as Spring break, nothing more and I've raised my kids the same way. My only real interest in Easter is the day after sale of all the chocolate easter eggs. 50-75% off! Tee-hee. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Just got back from visiting my family for Easter. Did church.

The music was good, bunch of kids with guitars singing christian pseudo rock, which I usually abhor, but if I have to be stuck in church it's better than nothing. Communion sucked but the grape juice was the closest thing to a drink I'd had in the last couple days so I enjoyed it too.

Got to enjoy mom's cooking all weekend so that's awesome.

I'm starting to wonder if my parents have picked up on my (and my family's) indifference to religion. Beyond the obligatory Easter service they didn't bring up religion once. I think they may not want to rock my boat and make me stop coming around. Not that I would, I love my family, but I've always been the black sheep so they may worry that I will.

Funny that, because my older brother was the golden son and is a good christian now, but damned if he doesn't always have an excuse not to come to family shit. Yet here I am, the rebel atheist, celebrating with my folks because I love them even if I don't believe.

It was a good weekend.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
06-04-2015, 04:59 AM
Easter was always a happy time for me. The whole family got together and we followed most of the customs which were pretty cool (one included walking what appeared to be a cardboard cutout of dead Jesus around a cemetery holding candles at sundown, which was really creepy but cool) but it never really was about religion, except perhaps for my grandma.

We all saw the whole process more like tradition and fun rather than duty.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
06-04-2015, 06:32 AM
For me, Easter has mostly been a holiday about seeing family and eating food (like all the other holidays). Any holiday featuring a big meal, someone leads the prayer, but other than that, there's very little religious overtones.

As for the prayer itself, I don't bow my head or clothes my eyes. I stay quiet, but I see that as no different than being quiet when someone else is already talking. I am glad that I don't wear a hat. Someone announced "hats off" before the prayer, and the two guys with hats on took them off. That would be a different line, for me. No one really cares if you don't bow your head or close your eyes, but I think people would notice me wearing a hat and get more offended. If I did wear a hat, I'd see no reason to take it off other than to avoid turmoil.
06-04-2015, 06:33 AM
(06-04-2015 04:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ...one included walking what appeared to be a cardboard cutout of dead Jesus around a cemetery holding candles at sundown, which was really creepy but cool...

Is that really a thing people do generally or is that just your family? I've never heard of anything like that. It sounds very creepy but, then again, the whole death cult that is Christianity is very creepy.

Do you also roll a big rock or steal a body?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-04-2015, 07:59 PM
After dinner we usually gather around listen to our favorite records....

[Image: c20dd77e080b97b018f54746aa1df95a.jpg]

[Image: 744b9a0bfa776cda1296d9e66e071cf5.jpg]

[Image: retro+album+cover+where+will+i+shelter+my+sheep.jpg]

don't believe everything you think
[+] 4 users Like church_organ's post
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM
All holidays lost something after my paternal grandparents were gone. Spending time eating good old farm cooking then playing on the farm with my closest cousin in age was the best! Holidays after that lost a lot of their appeal till I had my own kids and they were old enough to enjoy them. There was never much of a religious overtone to family holidays, even when grandma and grandpa were still alive.

Creating the magic of Santa and the Easter Bunny was a lot of fun for me and I do miss that. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-04-2015, 02:48 PM
(06-04-2015 06:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 04:59 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ...one included walking what appeared to be a cardboard cutout of dead Jesus around a cemetery holding candles at sundown, which was really creepy but cool...

Is that really a thing people do generally or is that just your family? I've never heard of anything like that. It sounds very creepy but, then again, the whole death cult that is Christianity is very creepy.

Do you also roll a big rock or steal a body?

It is actually a thing, at least the cutout part. Here he is:

[Image: plagia-epitafios2013.jpg]

The cemetery part depends on the church you're attending. Ours has a cemetery and is too far from the city center (where the cutouts of all the churches in the city gather) so we take him for a walk there among the graves. It's fun Big Grin

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-