Easy and cheap recipes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Easy and cheap recipes
When I was younger I was so interested in cooking and loved it whenever my mother let me cook. Since then I've kind of lost interest in it but I want to get back into it. If anyone has any easy and cheap recipes they would be happy to share to help me practice and get back into cooking and become better at it I would love it very much. I'm happy to try anything so share anything you desire Smile.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 06:30 PM
RE: Easy and cheap recipes
An easy thing that I make is this - take almost any cut of beef...London Broil, round steak...any boneless cut with little fat on it. Throw it in a crockpot with a can or two of tomatoes and whatever spices you like and let it cook. The meat will practically fall apart and the juices will mix with the tomatoes. I serve it over rice and add a vegetable. This is one dish that doesn't go to waste around here. Easy and inexpensive and you can give it an Italian flair or Mexican...whatever you prefer.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-08-2014, 06:34 PM
(04-08-2014 06:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  An easy thing that I make is this - take almost any cut of beef...London Broil, round steak...any boneless cut with little fat on it. Throw it in a crockpot with a can or two of tomatoes and whatever spices you like and let it cook. The meat will practically fall apart and the juices will mix with the tomatoes. I serve it over rice and add a vegetable. This is one dish that doesn't go to waste around here. Easy and inexpensive and you can give it an Italian flair or Mexican...whatever you prefer.

Sounds good! Will give that a try.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-08-2014, 08:43 PM
MEAT AND POTATOES!!Heart

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
04-08-2014, 08:48 PM
(04-08-2014 08:43 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  MEAT AND POTATOES!!Heart

Meat stuffed baked potato?

04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Take a can of flavored pento or black beans. Drain the sauce as best you can. Add to 1 cup of rice uncooked. Add 1 or 2 table spoons of chunky salsa. Generously coat in chili powder (its really hard to do too much). Serves two.

If you feel like getting fancy, saute 1/2 cup chunky salsa with vegetables. Add 1 large avocado. Eat it in a bowl, or throw it into a tortilla with re fried beans for a quick and tasty burrito.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
04-08-2014, 11:58 PM
(04-08-2014 11:52 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Take a can of flavored pento or black beans. Drain the sauce as best you can. Add to 1 cup of rice uncooked. Add 1 or 2 table spoons of chunky salsa. Generously coat in chili powder (its really hard to do too much). Serves two.

If you feel like getting fancy, saute 1/2 cup chunky salsa with vegetables. Add 1 large avocado. Eat it in a bowl, or throw it into a tortilla with re fried beans for a quick and tasty burrito.

Just reading that made my mouth water

05-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Chicken Quesadillas

4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
2 teaspoons butter, melted
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (I use green onions)
1 medium tomato, diced
1 package (9 ounces) frozen diced cooked chicken, thawed and chopped

Brush one side of each tortilla with butter. Place two tortillas,
buttered side down, on a griddle or skillet; sprinkle with cheese, onion,
tomato and chicken. Top with remaining tortillas, buttered side up.
Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly
browned. Cut into wedges.

*You could also try shredded beef, or whatever else you like. I also add a few small squares of cream cheese into mine. There's lots of variations you could try with this one!

I only use recipes as a guide. I add or remove depending on what we like.

Lazy Cake Bars

1 Box yellow cake mix
2 eggs, beaten
5 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups M&M's, peanut butter, or chocolate chips

Spray a 13 x 9 pan. Mix ingredients and spread evenly in the pan.
Bake 20 minutes @350. Cool 10 minutes before cutting into bars.

**I have to hide a couple squares for myself, my son and his friends devour these.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
05-08-2014, 12:21 AM
(05-08-2014 12:18 AM)CindysRain Wrote:  Chicken Quesadillas

4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
2 teaspoons butter, melted
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (I use green onions)
1 medium tomato, diced
1 package (9 ounces) frozen diced cooked chicken, thawed and chopped

Brush one side of each tortilla with butter. Place two tortillas,
buttered side down, on a griddle or skillet; sprinkle with cheese, onion,
tomato and chicken. Top with remaining tortillas, buttered side up.
Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly
browned. Cut into wedges.

*You could also try shredded beef, or whatever else you like. I also add a few small squares of cream cheese into mine. There's lots of variations you could try with this one!

I only use recipes as a guide. I add or remove depending on what we like.

Lazy Cake Bars

1 Box yellow cake mix
2 eggs, beaten
5 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups M&M's, peanut butter, or chocolate chips

Spray a 13 x 9 pan. Mix ingredients and spread evenly in the pan.
Bake 20 minutes @350. Cool 10 minutes before cutting into bars.

**I have to hide a couple squares for myself, my son and his friends devour these.

Sounds great! Thank you Smile

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Hummus bin Tahini:

1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil (the good stuff please [10+ Dollars per quart]; see tests in reputable magazines), if not available cold-pressed canola oil is an acceptable substitute
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed

Puree everything in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth.

If you really want to get into it, I have a selection of great video courses available online (the courses with Bill Briwa and Stephen Durfee from this company). I currently don't need them, so I can borrow you access in about a month from now (right now somebody else from here has exclusive access). If you are interested, send me a PM.

Also if you are serious, I recommend you learned how to purchase and use high quality knives. That will make things A LOT easier and quicker.
A great primer is the book "Mastering Knife Skills" by Norman Weinstein. Make sure you get a copy with the DVD, it is brilliant.

As far as ressources go, besides the ones mentioned, I learned a ton from the fine folks at cook's illustrated. Stay away from their magazine, just buy the books. They contain everything out of the magazines anyway. The following titles will suffice for a very well rounded repertoire:
"The New Best Recipe"
"Perfect Vegetables"
"The Science of Good cooking"
"The Americas Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook"

Note: The is a large amount of overlap in these books, simply because they cover everything from different angles.

The first two provide lengthy descriptions of all avenues taken to arrive at a certain recipe, while no. 3 delivers a set of universal principles for cooking.
No. 4 is exactly what the title suggests, a hefty tome filled with unbelieveably detailed (in words and photographs (!)) instructions for general techniques and recipes.

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
[+] 1 user Likes therealJim's post