Easy and cheap recipes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: Easy and cheap recipes
(05-08-2014 02:59 PM)therealJim Wrote:  Hummus bin Tahini:

1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil (the good stuff please [10+ Dollars per quart]; see tests in reputable magazines), if not available cold-pressed canola oil is an acceptable substitute
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed

Puree everything in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth.

If you really want to get into it, I have a selection of great video courses available online (the courses with Bill Briwa and Stephen Durfee from this company). I currently don't need them, so I can borrow you access in about a month from now (right now somebody else from here has exclusive access). If you are interested, send me a PM.

Also if you are serious, I recommend you learned how to purchase and use high quality knives. That will make things A LOT easier and quicker.
A great primer is the book "Mastering Knife Skills" by Norman Weinstein. Make sure you get a copy with the DVD, it is brilliant.

As far as ressources go, besides the ones mentioned, I learned a ton from the fine folks at cook's illustrated. Stay away from their magazine, just buy the books. They contain everything out of the magazines anyway. The following titles will suffice for a very well rounded repertoire:
"The New Best Recipe"
"Perfect Vegetables"
"The Science of Good cooking"
"The Americas Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook"

Note: The is a large amount of overlap in these books, simply because they cover everything from different angles.

The first two provide lengthy descriptions of all avenues taken to arrive at a certain recipe, while no. 3 delivers a set of universal principles for cooking.
No. 4 is exactly what the title suggests, a hefty tome filled with unbelieveably detailed (in words and photographs (!)) instructions for general techniques and recipes.

Thanks for the recipes and information, I think I'll pass on the video courses but thanks for the offer. I'll look into those books though for sure.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
This came through my fb feed today. I love anything pumpkin!

2 ingredient pumpkin muffins

You'll Need:
1 Yellow Cake Mix (Yes, you can Use a Gluten Free Cake Mix, it WILL work!)
1 -15oz Can Pumpkin

This recipe is truly a 2 ingredient recipe. You don't need to add any oil, water, etc. However, you can add the following if you'd like:

Completely Optional Items:
1/2 c. Chopped Walnuts or 1/2 c. Raisins (or a handful of both!)
1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

*I plan on trying it this weekend for sure.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
05-08-2014, 08:49 PM
(05-08-2014 08:44 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  This came through my fb feed today. I love anything pumpkin!

2 ingredient pumpkin muffins

You'll Need:
1 Yellow Cake Mix (Yes, you can Use a Gluten Free Cake Mix, it WILL work!)
1 -15oz Can Pumpkin

This recipe is truly a 2 ingredient recipe. You don't need to add any oil, water, etc. However, you can add the following if you'd like:

Completely Optional Items:
1/2 c. Chopped Walnuts or 1/2 c. Raisins (or a handful of both!)
1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

*I plan on trying it this weekend for sure.

Drooling I love pumpkin desserts. Pumpkin pie is my favorite type of pie.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-08-2014, 07:26 AM
(05-08-2014 08:03 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 02:59 PM)therealJim Wrote:  Hummus bin Tahini:

1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil (the good stuff please [10+ Dollars per quart]; see tests in reputable magazines), if not available cold-pressed canola oil is an acceptable substitute
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed

Puree everything in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth.

If you really want to get into it, I have a selection of great video courses available online (the courses with Bill Briwa and Stephen Durfee from this company). I currently don't need them, so I can borrow you access in about a month from now (right now somebody else from here has exclusive access). If you are interested, send me a PM.

Also if you are serious, I recommend you learned how to purchase and use high quality knives. That will make things A LOT easier and quicker.
A great primer is the book "Mastering Knife Skills" by Norman Weinstein. Make sure you get a copy with the DVD, it is brilliant.

As far as ressources go, besides the ones mentioned, I learned a ton from the fine folks at cook's illustrated. Stay away from their magazine, just buy the books. They contain everything out of the magazines anyway. The following titles will suffice for a very well rounded repertoire:
"The New Best Recipe"
"Perfect Vegetables"
"The Science of Good cooking"
"The Americas Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook"

Note: The is a large amount of overlap in these books, simply because they cover everything from different angles.

The first two provide lengthy descriptions of all avenues taken to arrive at a certain recipe, while no. 3 delivers a set of universal principles for cooking.
No. 4 is exactly what the title suggests, a hefty tome filled with unbelieveably detailed (in words and photographs (!)) instructions for general techniques and recipes.

Thanks for the recipes and information, I think I'll pass on the video courses but thanks for the offer. I'll look into those books though for sure.

I suggest the all-purpose cookbook that has helped generations of non-cooks: The Joy of Cooking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2014, 08:44 AM
(06-08-2014 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 08:03 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Thanks for the recipes and information, I think I'll pass on the video courses but thanks for the offer. I'll look into those books though for sure.

I suggest the all-purpose cookbook that has helped generations of non-cooks: The Joy of Cooking.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

12-08-2014, 07:36 PM
I was experimenting today with my beans and rice recipe and I made something I really liked. Here to share Smile .

I took one can of "cuban" flavored black beans and mixed it with about 3/4 cup chunky salsa, one green bellpepper sliced long ways, a handful of fresh spinach, and about seven or eight dashes of crushed red peppers. I sauteed them together for about ten minutes on a high flame, until most of the moisture had gone out, and then I let it sit and thicken for a few minutes afterwards. The bell peppers absorbed all the flavors really well, and the black beans ended up with a nice smooth, almost refried texture. I ate it with rice, but next time I am thinking I might throw it into a tortilla with diced tomato and onions.

I think I am going to cook my beans and rice this way from now on Thumbsup. I recommend giving it a try.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
12-08-2014, 07:39 PM
(12-08-2014 07:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I was experimenting today with my beans and rice recipe and I made something I really liked. Here to share Smile .

I took one can of "cuban" flavored black beans and mixed it with about 3/4 cup chunky salsa, one green bellpepper sliced long ways, a handful of fresh spinach, and about seven or eight dashes of crushed red peppers. I sauteed them together for about ten minutes on a high flame, until most of the moisture had gone out, and then I let it sit and thicken for a few minutes afterwards. The bell peppers absorbed all the flavors really well, and the black beans ended up with a nice smooth, almost refried texture. I ate it with rice, but next time I am thinking I might throw it into a tortilla with diced tomato and onions.

I think I am going to cook my beans and rice this way from now on Thumbsup. I recommend giving it a try.

Thanks! Sounds amazing and i'll try it for sure

13-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Stir-fry is a staple in my household. It's so easy you barely even need a recipe.
Choice of meat, choice of a couple vegetables, chopped, some soy sauce and any desired spices. Cook your meat in a wok (or skillet), add the veggies and sauce and voila!! Serve over rice. Big Grin

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
13-08-2014, 07:59 AM
(13-08-2014 04:35 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Stir-fry is a staple in my household. It's so easy you barely even need a recipe.
Choice of meat, choice of a couple vegetables, chopped, some soy sauce and any desired spices. Cook your meat in a wok (or skillet), add the veggies and sauce and voila!! Serve over rice. Big Grin

Sounds yummy! I kind of regret this because with every new recipe I get really hungry lol