Eating Clean on a Budget.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Eating Clean on a Budget.
Any advice for healthy eating on a budget?

I'm learning how to meal plan for the week but I need advice. XD

I feel like I'm constantly going grocery shopping and spending money.

Help! XD
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2017, 07:57 PM
RE: Eating Clean on a Budget.
(23-03-2017 07:51 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Any advice for healthy eating on a budget?

Help! XD

Costco if you're gonna plan enough for a couple of weeks. 3x the vegetables and fruit for the same price as the grocery.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-03-2017, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 08:04 PM by jennybee.)
Do you have any farmer's markets near you? That would be one way to reduce cost on loads of fruit and veggies. Clip coupons. Try and buy quinoa, millet, or whatever you like in bulk and put them in airtight containers. Oatmeal is also cheap and is great for you. There are also healthy eating cookbooks with 4 or 5 ingredients or less-I'd suggest investing in one of those.

As far as meat, I don't cook it typically, but from people who I know who do, they will often buy extra and make some for dinner and take leftovers for the next day (which helps them avoid spending money on take out). Eggs (if you eat them) and natural peanut butter are also fairly inexpensive and a great source of protein. Plain and unsalted nuts and seeds are also great snacks to have around the house.
23-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Can you grow your own veggies? Lettuce is super easy to grow and has shallow roots, so you don't need a lot of space.

I am really no help. I spend about 1,000 a month on food for my family. Eating well is $$!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
23-03-2017, 08:09 PM
(23-03-2017 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Help! XD

Costco if you're gonna plan enough for a couple of weeks. 3x the vegetables and fruit for the same price as the grocery.

D: I wish we had a Costco. The closest Costco here is down in Philadelphia... Sad
23-03-2017, 08:10 PM
(23-03-2017 07:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Do you have any farmer's markets near you? That would be one way to reduce cost on loads of fruit and veggies. Clip coupons. Try and buy quinoa, millet, or whatever you like in bulk and put them in airtight containers. Oatmeal is also cheap and is great for you. There are also healthy eating cookbooks with 4 or 5 ingredients or less-I'd suggest investing in one of those.

As far as meat, I don't cook it typically, but from people who I know who do, they will often buy extra and make some for dinner and take leftovers for the next day (which helps them avoid spending money on take out). Eggs (if you eat them) and natural peanut butter are also fairly inexpensive and a great source of protein. Plain and unsalted nuts and seeds are also great snacks to have around the house.

No Farmer's Markets here either. Sad I hope to move soon so hopefully wherever we go there will be some.

I'm trying to get more calories and protein for my husband and I bought a lot of chia seeds today. Still trying to get him to try quinoa...
23-03-2017, 08:12 PM
(23-03-2017 08:03 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Can you grow your own veggies? Lettuce is super easy to grow and has shallow roots, so you don't need a lot of space.

I am really no help. I spend about 1,000 a month on food for my family. Eating well is $$!

I want to start a garden so much! D: Lots of snow here and we'll be moving soon.
I spent around $200 dollars in the last two weeks resupplying our fridge and pantry and I need to go out again tomorrow...

How many in your family are you feeding?
It's just me and my husband and we're going down to a budget of $300 a month.
23-03-2017, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 08:17 PM by Anjele.)

Help! XD

What kinds of foods do you like?

That may help with suggestions.

Edit - embrace the idea of leftovers...cooking for two can be a challenge and you can generally save money if you cook more and eat the leftovers. Smaller portions often cost more. Spaghetti sauce freezes pretty well but is often better the second day anyway.

I often make meals that feed us for an evening dinner and another one two days later and sort of leap frog the foods so as not to get to burned out on the same thing. Sometimes it's just enough for supper one day and lunch the next for one of us.

Cooking for two after cooking for many is a challenge for me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-03-2017, 08:18 PM
(23-03-2017 08:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Help! XD

What kinds of foods do you like?

That may help with suggestions.

I generally eat a lot of berries and dark green produce.
Most of what I eat for dinner is turkey sandwiches and salmon. XD

My husband loves chicken tacos and pistachios but hates seafood and greens.
I'm trying to get him to try more vegetables and he's liking spinach pretty well at least. XD He drinks smoothies a lot of breakfast too.

I really don't have too much of a preference to health foods, honestly.
23-03-2017, 08:21 PM
I am far from a health food expert. I tend to cook old-fashioned meat and potatoes stuff.

The challenge for me is trying to cook without waste and without the increased cost of buying things in smaller quantities. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF