Eating pig is still sinful

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Shocked Eating pig is still sinful
I'm sure everyone is aware that the bible says (in the old testament) that eating pig flesh is "an abomination".

Leviticus 11:1-8

Quote:1[font='Charis SIL'] The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, [/font]2[font='Charis SIL'] “Say to the Israelites: ‘Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: [/font]3[font='Charis SIL'] You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews the cud.[/font][font='Charis SIL'] 4 “‘There are some that only chew the cud or only have a divided hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you.5 The hyrax, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.[/font]
While most Christians won't admit it in this way, Christians believe that the New Testament "trumps" the Old Testament in the same way that Mormons believe the Book of Mormon "trumps" the New Testament... if there is a contradiction, then the newer text wins by default. So despite this law being in the Old Testament, Christians feel that this is not a contradiction if there is a New Testament verse that changes the OT law. And many Christians do believe that this law has been changed.

Acts 10:9-15

Quote:[font='Charis SIL'] [/font]9[font='Charis SIL'] About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. [/font]10[font='Charis SIL'] He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. [/font]11[font='Charis SIL'] He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. [/font]12[font='Charis SIL'] It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. [/font]13[font='Charis SIL'] Then a voice told him, [/font][font='Charis SIL']“Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”[/font][font='Charis SIL'][/font][font='Charis SIL'] 14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”[/font][font='Charis SIL'] 15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”[/font]

So case closed, right? Not exactly. Peter, the apostle that Jesus "built his church upon", believed that pig flesh was still unclean after the point of Jesus' death and resurrection. While is seems apparent that he was wrong up until only this point and was corrected by God himself, he himself interprets the vision as being wrong about preaching to Gentiles (later in the same chapter ). There is no mention from Peter of believing that pig flesh has suddenly become "clean". Instead, he sees the pigs in the dream as a clear metaphor for Gentiles, not as literal pigs. But in either case, it's clear that he was unaware that pig flesh should be edible, despite having plenty of time to discuss the subject with Jesus or to follow Jesus' example on the matter.

Also, there's no logical reason why this law should change. Why would it have been unacceptable for any of God's believers to eat pig? And if you have an answer for that, then why would Jesus' resurrection change that?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 04:51 PM
RE: Eating pig is still sinful
(11-04-2012 04:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Also, there's no logical reason why this law should change. Why would it have been unacceptable for any of God's believers to eat pig? And if you have an answer for that, then why would Jesus' resurrection change that?
You're asking for this shit to make sense? Really? Huh

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 06:00 PM by Crusher.)
My gf who is a muslim never eats pig and when I tell her pig is really delicious she says "ew no it's gross".

YOU NEVER ATE IT HOW CAN YOU KNOW GRAAGBLAGAFAGH!!!!
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2012, 09:49 PM
(11-04-2012 05:43 PM)Crusher Wrote:  My gf who is a muslim never eats pig and when I tell her pig is really delicious she says "ew no it's gross".

You never ate poop but when a scab-fetish ask you to eat poop you would say "euuuuu its gross"

Brain-washing alters the way we taste. Pickles taste good right, but people tends to throw it off because of its smell.

about the poop, its cos your parents told you poops are bad, or as a baby its natural for you to eat poop due to curiosity. Alternatively, if you were raised by rabbit, you would find poop delicious
12-04-2012, 01:38 AM

In my ever so humble opinion, I really don't think people should eat pork. Pigs are intelligent omnivorous animals and most are raised in appalling conditions and killed quite inhumanely. So, if a dietary restriction is good for spiritual development, and I think it certainly can be, let it be pork that you restrict. There's always beef, humanely raised chicken, and fish.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2012, 02:06 AM
Egor, pigs can be raised in the same way/manner as chickens or beef. There are no reasons to make the difference, so the beef (cattle) and chickens can be treated as equally brutal and unfair as the pigs. The fact is that pigs are more intelligent than most other animals, but then again, does animal intelligence make any difference in the way how we should treat them? They all feel anxiety, fear and pain in the same way, no matter their level of intelligence.

So from my moral stand, if I eat meat in general (and I do) it is all the same what kind of meat do I eat. If I want to make my morality different, I should stop eating all meat, not just one part, because that makes no sense then, it makes me a hypocrite.

And you haven't commented on what the Bible and Peter told us about pork, how do you see that, or, what do you think of it? Is it irrelevant, or should we look more into it? By "us" I don't mean us atheists, but in general, because we obviously do not care about the words in Bible... Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
12-04-2012, 02:16 AM
As far as I'm concerned, this is the final word on the matter.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-04-2012, 02:39 AM

(12-04-2012 02:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  So from my moral stand, if I eat meat in general (and I do) it is all the same what kind of meat do I eat. If I want to make my morality different, I should stop eating all meat, not just one part, because that makes no sense then, it makes me a hypocrite.

And you haven't commented on what the Bible and Peter told us about pork, how do you see that, or, what do you think of it? Is it irrelevant, or should we look more into it? By "us" I don't mean us atheists, but in general, because we obviously do not care about the words in Bible... Smile

I don't make a big deal out of it. And I admit it's probably hypocritical to eat other animals. But I do (I tend to side with carnivors.). Jesus only ate fish as far as meat goes, but it seems he had no problem with veal given the story of the Prodigal Son. So, I would imagine he had no problem with other meat, though I think it's a safe bet that he didn't eat pork, but he might have. There were people in his area that raised pigs, and no one in that area eats pigs now. All I'm advocating is that if one wants to make a fast, give up pork.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Egor's post
12-04-2012, 02:59 AM
(11-04-2012 09:49 PM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 05:43 PM)Crusher Wrote:  My gf who is a muslim never eats pig and when I tell her pig is really delicious she says "ew no it's gross".

You never ate poop but when a scab-fetish ask you to eat poop you would say "euuuuu its gross"

Brain-washing alters the way we taste. Pickles taste good right, but people tends to throw it off because of its smell.

about the poop, its cos your parents told you poops are bad, or as a baby its natural for you to eat poop due to curiosity. Alternatively, if you were raised by rabbit, you would find poop delicious

That's true but, lots of people eat pig and think its delicious. Nobody eats poop, except for people that are hammered.
12-04-2012, 03:09 AM
... Or some crazy artists that think it will make them uber-cool, like Divine has eaten the poop from his poodle, right after the poor dog took a dump while the cameras were rolling without stooping, so no photoshop there... Retarded, but then again, that was Divine, so it was kinda normal for him. Even he/she almost throw up while doing it.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson