Eating what you should vs Eating what you want.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 07:35 PM
RE: Eating what you should vs Eating what you want.
Last spring and into summer, I started counting calories. I started with a baseline by tracking how much I ate and what I ate for about two-three weeks. From there, I started cutting things out. I learned I was quite an emotional/stress eater that led to a vicious circle of dissatisfaction. I also realized that what I thought was one portion was really the equivalent of 2 or even 3 portions. Way too much for someone of my age, height and sitting at a desk all day. No wonder I was gaining weight! So I started cutting down on things first, finding ways to cut the calories (i.e. don't use LOADS of butter, just one serving size). I followed serving size recommendations on packages. It was hard in the beginning. Shrinking your appetite and your stomach to learn you are full on the right amounts of food was a tad miserable in the beginning.

I learned that carbs were my worst enemy. I found the more protein and vegetables I ate, the better and more satisfied I felt. It's a good thing I love all sorts of food too. I imagine this would be difficult for people who aren't fans of veggies. But once you start feeling better in general with more energy, you miss the junk less and less. My goal was to change my eating habits entirely. It wasn't a 'diet' so much as a lifestyle change. I went from about 160ish in March of last year down to 140ish by the end of the summer. I've been afraid to weigh myself since, as I've probably gained a few pounds since the holidays. But, the weight is gone, I feel healthier and happier as a result.

As for exercise, all my best friend and I did was do a Jillian Michaels workout DVD for 20 minutes, 6 days a week. Not a lot in terms of exercise, but it definitely contributed and as lazy as I am, I have to admit that exercise did help me feel better as well.

The hardest part in this was discipline. Once I got that down, the food changes and the exercising became much easier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deerdra's post
07-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Someday maybe I will actually start eating better.

My current preference is sort of like this....I'm kind of hungry, I should eat something...what have we got?...will it require cooking?...cereal it is.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-02-2014, 08:45 PM
(07-02-2014 04:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Another trick is to use smaller plates. Start serving yourself smaller portions and you'll see that you'll be eating less.

Yeah, I find that absolutely true as well. It is a good way of tricking yourself.

As for diet, this is the relationship between equivalent amounts of energy containing molecules and their calorie content:

protein < sugar (=carbohydrates) < fat

The problem is that protein rich things (like meat) do not contain many fibers that make you feel full. So you will need to have side dishes like salad, bread, rice and potatoes. But those side dishes contain carbohydrates, so you can't really avoid taking in carbohydrates. But you can definitely reduce the amount of sugar intake and avoid the intake of fat.

I wished I could say that I follow this "diet"... but I don't. I just loooooove chocolate! Smile

Well... it's good that there is sports to keep you fit Smile

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
07-02-2014, 08:48 PM
(07-02-2014 07:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Someday maybe I will actually start eating better.

My current preference is sort of like this....I'm kind of hungry, I should eat something...what have we got?...will it require cooking?...cereal it is.

This is how I ended up making pancakes for dinner. We're out of cereal.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-02-2014, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 09:08 PM by Moodie.)
(07-02-2014 02:32 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 02:30 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Food, better than sex (sometimes), but not as good as health.

You need a better sex life Drinking Beverage

This is perfectly normal female behaviour ... especially if the food is chocolate [which if dark choc Bounty Bar is good medicine once a month].

If you're a male - extra points!

Moodie x
PS if you google Ellen Slatter, I think she has a good perspective on 'healthy eating' - http://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/ and http://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/hte/howtoeat.php . 'Dieting' just messes up yer brain/health/relationship to food imho. Keep a variety of food on hand for tasty regular meals - avoid too much 'virtue' http://ellynsatterinstitute.org/hte/mfmstep5.php . Get the meal habit and eat when hungry or have strong craving; stop when pleasantly full - you really won't be eating Cheesy Wotsits all day, I promise you ...
08-02-2014, 01:44 AM
(07-02-2014 07:28 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Got an odd question!
What's a good dish/meal that's filling, but won't make you gassy?

Cabbage soup without the cabbage.
It's fucking addicting, I don't know why.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
08-02-2014, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 03:35 PM by undergroundp.)
(07-02-2014 07:22 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  We have a lot in common. Wanna go out?

Oh, I'd love to but it would be hard in so many ways Consider

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-02-2014, 02:45 PM
she's taken Weeping

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-02-2014, 03:02 PM
(08-02-2014 02:25 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Oh, I'd love too but it would be hard in so many ways Consider

^^^ I could , but I wont..... Evil_monster

I've had trouble all my life gaining weight, I eat everything under the sun.... Tongue

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
08-02-2014, 03:47 PM
(08-02-2014 02:25 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Oh, I'd love to but it would be hard in so many ways Consider

No one has to know, it'll be our little secret. I promise <3

(08-02-2014 02:45 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  she's taken Weeping

I'm joking... Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon