Ebola and African leaders saying that Western nations aren't doing enough.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2014, 02:09 PM
RE: Ebola and African leaders saying that Western nations aren't doing enough.
The same west African nations that refused advice on how to reduce the rate of infection? (Proper corpse disposal and sanitary practices would have saved hundreds)

Like the sailor, only spelled differently. Also not a sailor.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Western nations ARENT doing enough! We should probably send more doctors and educators to get butchered and dumped in the shit ditch for trying to teach proper hygiene and Ebola containment.Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
18-10-2014, 10:10 PM
(18-10-2014 05:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Western nations ARENT doing enough! We should probably send more doctors and educators to get butchered and dumped in the shit ditch for trying to teach proper hygiene and Ebola containment.Sleepy

That is exactly the problem with most of the help. The problem is very obvious when it comes to tapping wells. A clean water source attracts local gangs who will take it over and extort people out of everything for use of the tap, and then of course fights will happen between gangs and the taps will eventually be poisoned or destroyed. That's why the water charities don't ever seem to make a dent in the clean water situation.
The help going into Africa is the wrong sort of help, it's like holding a hand over a hemophiliac's wound, but unless the various african governments can help themselves their is no permanent solutions we can give. When a permanent solution is tried; like setting up curriculums, or engineering schools, absolutely everything stands in the way of it.
We saw this all again with ebola because when the charity workers went home the governments lied about upholding quarantine and let the training centres fall into disrepair.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
18-10-2014, 11:43 PM
(12-10-2014 12:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is it just me or does this piss anyone else off as well?

Yes. A bit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
22-10-2014, 09:21 AM
(12-10-2014 12:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is it just me or does this piss anyone else off as well?

The Ebola leaders don't have to gloat, damn.Big Grin

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
22-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Not at all... maybe it pisses me off a little that eastern nations aren't being called out for not helping enough too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-10-2014, 04:20 PM
(22-10-2014 03:05 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Not at all... maybe it pisses me off a little that eastern nations aren't being called out for not helping enough too.

This is true. Especially considering China has increasingly significant interests in African nations and their resources.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
23-10-2014, 05:27 PM
How do you suppose it would go over if western leaders pointed out that some African leaders are barely doing the minimum amount to deal with this crises?

Probably not well.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-10-2014, 05:32 PM

pisses me off, I am not sure when the US became the world police and amnesty international for each and every crisis in the world, but someone needs to change that. I especially love UN stuff, "The UN is going to do blah blah blah" What that actually means is 80,000 US troops, 40,000 UK troops, 5 Australians, 3 japanese, 4 french and a guy from some obscure country are sent in to deal with problem X. I am being facetious of course, but it seems that way sometimes.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
23-10-2014, 05:46 PM
"not doing enough"... to contain an epidemic that has overwhelmed local heath provider capability and has the potential to become pandemic.

Do you not see an avenue of self-interest in containing this outbreak? Do you think that countries with money and expertise are doing enough already to contain it?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.