Ebola and missionaries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Ebola and missionaries
So the 2 Americans with Ebola are now coming to the US. One is in the US (in Atlanta), the other will be there in the next day or two. They fly in a special bubble plane.

Both are missionaries, one is from Charlotte, so the local news is having extra coverage on her, and how her church members are praying for her, and it's all gods plan, and god, god, pray, god, prayers, blah blah blah.

2 of the charities that have sent people there are huge (Samaritans Purse ie: billy graham), they are based here in Charlotte. They have announced that they are evacuating people, I'm guessing they will be returning to Charlotte.

Earlier this week the large hospital in town roped off their emergency dept because they had a patient that had been in that area (west Africa) and was ill. For most of the day, it was closed while they did testing. The next day, the official statement says they think the person has malaria so they won't be doing Ebola testing. I couldn't help but think if you have a patient who has been to the infected area, presenting with serious illness( enough that you close down part of the largest emergency department in the city) that you do the test, just in case. Smh.

Later that day I caught the first part of the Dianne Rheem show on NPR. She was interviewing all kinds of top Ebola and infectious disease people. One of the first people says it often presents the same as other illnesses LIKE MALARIA. Facepalm

Just run the damn test.

The incubation period is 2-21 days. My pilot friend says 36 hours is all that is needed for global.

Fucking Jesus freaks are going to spread this shit to my city, fuckers.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-08-2014, 06:53 AM
RE: Ebola and missionaries
(03-08-2014 05:24 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  So the 2 Americans with Ebola are now coming to the US. One is in the US (in Atlanta), the other will be there in the next day or two. They fly in a special bubble plane.

Both are missionaries, one is from Charlotte, so the local news is having extra coverage on her, and how her church members are praying for her, and it's all gods plan, and god, god, pray, god, prayers, blah blah blah.

2 of the charities that have sent people there are huge (Samaritans Purse ie: billy graham), they are based here in Charlotte. They have announced that they are evacuating people, I'm guessing they will be returning to Charlotte.

Earlier this week the large hospital in town roped off their emergency dept because they had a patient that had been in that area (west Africa) and was ill. For most of the day, it was closed while they did testing. The next day, the official statement says they think the person has malaria so they won't be doing Ebola testing. I couldn't help but think if you have a patient who has been to the infected area, presenting with serious illness( enough that you close down part of the largest emergency department in the city) that you do the test, just in case. Smh.

Later that day I caught the first part of the Dianne Rheem show on NPR. She was interviewing all kinds of top Ebola and infectious disease people. One of the first people says it often presents the same as other illnesses LIKE MALARIA. Facepalm

Just run the damn test.

The incubation period is 2-21 days. My pilot friend says 36 hours is all that is needed for global.

Sorry, Bows. I have to disagree with you on this one. If an American contracted Ebola while in the endemic areas on a business or "pleasure" trip we would have no qualms about repatriating him/her to the US for treatment. Why make an exception for a missionary who was there doing good work?

And if not a missionary now, a traveller sooner or later will manage to import the disease.

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
03-08-2014, 07:08 AM
I guess what is pissing me off most is why they didn't test the mystery patient for Ebola. Just because they have malaria, doesn't mean they can't have Ebola. They were in the affected area, they are immune suppressed from illness, and according to 'experts' it often mimics other illnesses.

They didn't test. Why on earth would you not test? Especially when it's something like Ebola. Ohmy

That and the fact that the majority will come thru my city. The ones that say they are fine, only to come down with it 21 days later.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-08-2014, 07:12 AM
(03-08-2014 05:24 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
They have announced that they are evacuating people,

Poor fuckers!

First Ebola, then colonic irrigation.

No

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2014, 11:09 AM
My feeling is that the media have presented it too simplistically...

With a disease as dangerous as Ebola, I very much doubt experts would rule it out without good reason.

My limited understanding is that Ebola progresses very quickly after symptoms first appear, while Malaria is more of a slow burner.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2014, 11:39 AM
(03-08-2014 05:24 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  So the 2 Americans with Ebola are now coming to the US. One is in the US (in Atlanta), the other will be there in the next day or two. They fly in a special bubble plane.

Just run the damn test.

Here's a great article from the world health organization.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Quote:Other diseases that should be ruled out before a diagnosis of EVD can be made include: malaria, typhoid fever, shigellosis, cholera, leptospirosis, plague, rickettsiosis, relapsing fever, meningitis, hepatitis and other viral haemorrhagic fevers.

Sounds like the hospital actually followed protocol.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

03-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Actualy, Ebola is something that should not even be considerd to be left in the hands of such morons to judge over.

With no known cure and a 90% death rate, the CDC and other health organisations will just ignore such people and if they get infected, proceed with the usual isolation protocol.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
03-08-2014, 01:33 PM
... Let's not be getting excited.

Quote:It is not entirely clear how Ebola is spread.[13] EVD is believed to occur after an ebola virus is transmitted to an initial human by contact with an infected animal's bodily fluids. Human-to-human transmission can occur via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment, particularly needles and syringes.[14] Transmission through oral exposure and through conjunctiva exposure is likely[15] and has been confirmed in non-human primates.[16] The potential for widespread EVD infections is considered low as the disease is only spread by direct contact with the secretions from someone who has symptomatic disease (i.e. showing signs of infection).[14] The quick onset of symptoms makes it easier to identify sick individuals and limits a person's ability to spread the disease by traveling. Because bodies of the deceased are still infectious, some doctors had to take measures to properly dispose of dead bodies in a safe manner despite local traditional burial rituals.[17]

Medical workers who do not wear appropriate protective clothing may also contract the disease.[18] In the past, hospital-acquired transmission has occurred in African hospitals due to the reuse of needles and lack of universal precautions.[19]

EVD is not naturally transmitted through the air.[2] They are, however, infectious as breathable 0.8–1.2 micrometre laboratory generated droplets;[20] because of this potential route of infection, these viruses have been classified as Category A biological weapons.[21] Recently the virus has been shown to travel without contact from pigs to non-human primates.[22]

Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_viru...ansmission

Emphasis mine.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Don't worry, those prayers will work and no-one will die. God is love remember.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
[+] 3 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post
03-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Chest x-rays and other labwork are performed "just in case" all the time. I received a pertussis swab a few years ago - not because all of my symtpoms were consistent (I only had a few), not because I had a confirmed pt with exposure, but "just in case" because the potential was there. There's not enough info in the news story for me to say ahhh that's why they didn't run the test, I assume its thanks to HIPPA why we don't know more. With the information available, I say just run the damn test. They said the risk is "low". If we are dealing with an infectious disease with a high mortality rate, the risk should be "none" to refrain from testing - just my 2 cents. I also think anyone who has had direct contact with diseased patients should be quarantined upon arrival to the US until proven healthy. I wouldn't want to be the triage nurse when a patient walks into the ED, coughing and such, and after checking vitals and getting more history they say "yeh I just got back from West Africa". I can't tell you how many times I've gotten sick because people are too inconsiderate to cover their mouths and not cough in my face or put on a mask when they walk through the door (our ED had a"sneeze" station with mask, hand sanitizer, tissues prior to the front desk) knowing they have been exposed to strep/flu/etc and are experiencing the same symptoms. I've had a patient cough in my face only to then tell me they had TB - fortunately for me it wasn't active.

So you have a missionary return, they don't feel so great, but it's Sunday. God says you have to be at church every Sunday. So they show up to their mega church feeling under the weather and get tons of hugs and welcome backs and hand shakes....

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post