Ebola hits U.S. More Victims Pending

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Ebola hits U.S. More Victims Pending
Your beloved Miso is a germophobe. (A "Mysophobe." Fitting, no?) He doesn't like sickness. He's cool with touching stuff and doesn't obsess about washing his hands until they bleed. What worries him is the possibility of illness. Whether it's foodborne or from contact with a sick person, the possibility of infection freaks him right the fuck out. When he cooks raw meat, he wears surgical gloves. When he walks behind a person who coughs, he holds his breath. When someone has even the slightest case of the sniffles, he avoids them like the plague. (He is, however, quite fond of speaking in the 3rd person)

When I was a kid, I learned about Ebola, and the concept terrified me. Knowing what I know now, it's not the most horrifying disease one can contract, but it's certainly up there on the hierarchy of terror because of what my young mind perceived when I first heard about it. Plus, it has this nasty habit of, you know, killing you. Even for a suicidal like me, that's a pretty fucked up way to go, and not my personal idea of an exit strategy.

As of late, Ebola has hit the United States. I'm incredibly angry about this because, as a devout man-hater, I can't conceptualize what sort of diseased, philanthropic mindset one must adhere to in order to travel to the puckered rectum of our planet in order to contract such an affliction. Perhaps it's for religious reasons. Perhaps it's because someone was so moved by the late-night commercials with little African kids that they couldn't help but hop a plane and give the poor dearies a glass of fresh water. Perhaps it's for some other reason that I can't even hope to imagine because I lack the neurological hardware required to muster such empathy. Either way, dumbfucks are traveling to and fro upon this planet, and they're bringing a host of malicious, microscopic passengers directly to my doorstep.

As it stands, American Patient X is dead. The grapevine claims that 3 others are pending diagnosis. Various sources claim it's only a matter of time until it goes airborne. Currently, I can imagine no scientific reason why such a disease can't mutate in order to make good on that claim. If that transpires, containment will ultimately fail in some way or another, and the pathogen will spread as simply as the Flu or the common cold. This comes at a time when our medical defenses against such an infection are in their infancy, and our best hope of survival is to ride it out and hope we don't die.

Fear is not something that envelopes my world. Not from the perspective of an outsider looking in. But deep down, I am terrified.

Someone calm me, please. Before I begin boarding the windows.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 06:39 PM
RE: Ebola hits U.S. More Victims Pending
With Ebola apparently having flu like symptoms, the least best time (if any) for it to come over would be winter.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Well, Miso, guess that means you won't be coming here to DFW for a visit any time soon. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
08-10-2014, 06:41 PM
(08-10-2014 06:39 PM)bemore Wrote:  With Ebola apparently having flu like symptoms, the least best time (if any) for it to come over would be winter.

Thank you; that was infinitely helpful. Dodgy

08-10-2014, 06:43 PM
(08-10-2014 06:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Well, Miso, guess that means you won't be coming here to DFW for a visit any time soon. Undecided

Not even if the Ra-man himself promised to have beers with me.

08-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Damn - he even lives in the town where I work - we could have set something up.

Maybe next epidemic...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-10-2014, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't worry. It's really hard to get. The person is only contagious after symptoms start to show, and even then you have to come into contact with their vomit or blood and have that come into contact with a mucous membrane.
08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
(08-10-2014 06:49 PM)natachan Wrote:  I wouldn't worry. It's really hard to get. The person is only contagious after symptoms start to show, and even then you have to come into contact with their vomit or blood and have that come into contact with a mucous membrane.

Unfortunately, my fetish is cutting a chick and then forcing her to vomit while I copulate with all of her membranes.

There goes another thing I've gotta give up in the name of health. Angry

In all seriousness, though, it's hard to get now. But that could change at any time. If it hasn't already. This possibility - however remote - terrifies me.

08-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Don't know what scares me more, contracting ebola or necrotizing fasciitis. I've seen nec fasc more times than I can count, in fact yesterday the patient next door to mine had it. My unit doesn't have isolation rooms appropriate for ebola (I would hope those patients would be placed in a negative airflow room with some scientists on the fence about airborne transmission), so I won't see it. Unless they are a heart or lung transplant patient or a VAD patient, my unit doesn't get infectious patients due to over half our population being post-op and/or immunocompromised.

No need to be a germaphobe. I've dealt with plenty of undiagnosed infectious disease in triage, including nec fasc - good hand hygiene is what's most important. Our bodies do a pretty good job of keeping us healthy. Get your flu shot - that's more likely. And stay out of West Africa.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
08-10-2014, 07:06 PM
(08-10-2014 07:02 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Don't know what scares me more, contracting ebola or necrotizing fasciitis. I've seen nec fasc more times than I can count, in fact yesterday the patient next door to mine had it. My unit doesn't have isolation rooms appropriate for ebola (I would hope those patients would be placed in a negative airflow room with some scientists on the fence about airborne transmission), so I won't see it. Unless they are a heart or lung transplant patient or a VAD patient, my unit doesn't get infectious patients due to over half our population being post-op and/or immunocompromised.

No need to be a germaphobe. I've dealt with plenty of undiagnosed infectious disease in triage, including nec fasc - good hand hygiene is what's most important. Our bodies do a pretty good job of keeping us healthy. Get your flu shot - that's more likely. And stay out of West Africa.

Eeek!!!! "Cabin Fever" scared the dog-piss out of me when I first saw it. I rather like having skin. Confused

It's hard to stay out of West Africa, though, when ever christian missionary in the country likes to bring West Africa to me by going there to force-feed bibles to the sick and the vulnerable. Just yesterday, I heard the horrifying news that a member of my former congregation is currently IN Africa helping to build a new kingdom hall. This gives her a direct line to my grandmother, and thus, to me. FML. Censored