Ebola hits U.S. More Victims Pending

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: Ebola hits U.S. More Victims Pending
People need to stop freaking out about HIV, it can be added to the long list of chronic diseases thanks to medicine.

I wish the media would put more focus onto heart disease and push employers to help their employees establish healthier lifestyles. Heart disease is the number one cause of death for Americans - 1 out of 4 deaths each year. 1 of 2 persons diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure will die within five years. I'd rather be diagnosed with HIV.

Feel free to fact check me on any number of sites, including http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
(09-10-2014 01:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  People need to stop freaking out about HIV, it can be added to the long list of chronic diseases thanks to medicine.

I wish the media would put more focus onto heart disease and push employers to help their employees establish healthier lifestyles. Heart disease is the number one cause of death for Americans - 1 out of 4 deaths each year. 1 of 2 persons diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure will die within five years. I'd rather be diagnosed with HIV.

Feel free to fact check me on any number of sites, including http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

I don't doubt you at all. I know all to well how scary heart issues can be. My father had a heart attack in his sleep a couple years ago and was clinically dead for a while until they were able to revive him at the hospital. Took him a while to relearn how to walk, talk ect. Luckily he kept most of his memories.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
09-10-2014, 02:14 PM
(09-10-2014 01:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:53 PM)Nurse Wrote:  People need to stop freaking out about HIV, it can be added to the long list of chronic diseases thanks to medicine.

I don't doubt you at all. I know all to well how scary heart issues can be. My father had a heart attack in his sleep a couple years ago and was clinically dead for a while until they were able to revive him at the hospital. Took him a while to relearn how to walk, talk ect. Luckily he kept most of his memories.

Stories like this help me put up with the hell of my job - many times I really hate my job - hospitals have cut corners and the nurses are now environmental services/maids (yes I strip the room, remake the bed, take out the trash), waitresses (nurse takes in/out the food tray), secretaries, techs etc while recovering critically ill patients WITHOUT the help of a nurse aid. It is satisfying having a part in resuscitating a person that goes on to eventually recover - one big success keeps me going for months. We do all the hypothermia alerts/code ice for my hospital (post arrest induced hypothermia to help prevent repercussion brain injury).

When I worked in the ED we had a 40something male with two young children collapse while working out at the gym. The trainers started BLS CPR; when first responders arrived he was in asystole (flatline - "clinically dead"). He achieved a shockable rhythm while en route via helicopter and had return of spontaneous circulation upon arrival to the ED. We managed to perform a great number of procedures and got him from door to cath lab in eight minutes. Two hours later he extubated himself and asked what happened. Fuck yeah.

I imagine the nurses were super excited at Emory to discharge their Ebola patient. Both because it they didn't have to further expose themselves, and because they saved someone from a terrible disease.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
09-10-2014, 02:32 PM
(09-10-2014 02:14 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't doubt you at all. I know all to well how scary heart issues can be. My father had a heart attack in his sleep a couple years ago and was clinically dead for a while until they were able to revive him at the hospital. Took him a while to relearn how to walk, talk ect. Luckily he kept most of his memories.

Stories like this help me put up with the hell of my job - many times I really hate my job - hospitals have cut corners and the nurses are now environmental services/maids (yes I strip the room, remake the bed, take out the trash), waitresses (nurse takes in/out the food tray), secretaries, techs etc while recovering critically ill patients WITHOUT the help of a nurse aid. It is satisfying having a part in resuscitating a person that goes on to eventually recover - one big success keeps me going for months. We do all the hypothermia alerts/code ice for my hospital (post arrest induced hypothermia to help prevent repercussion brain injury).

When I worked in the ED we had a 40something male with two young children collapse while working out at the gym. The trainers started BLS CPR; when first responders arrived he was in asystole (flatline - "clinically dead"). He achieved a shockable rhythm while en route via helicopter and had return of spontaneous circulation upon arrival to the ED. We managed to perform a great number of procedures and got him from door to cath lab in eight minutes. Two hours later he extubated himself and asked what happened. Fuck yeah.

I imagine the nurses were super excited at Emory to discharge their Ebola patient. Both because it they didn't have to further expose themselves, and because they saved someone from a terrible disease.

Idk half those words lol but yeah stuff like that and what happened to my father is what made me get interested into firefighting. I want to experience that feeling, what it is like to help someone and that excited feeling when you get to help someone. I think having a job that allows you to have those moments is a really great job. Anyways back on topic.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-10-2014, 03:52 PM
(09-10-2014 12:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 09:19 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  One person in America gets Ebola and thousands start walking around with masks and hand sanitiser. Thousands of people get AIDs every year and the average American still struggles with the concept of using a condom.

And tens of thousands die from influenza.
How many people actually even get a flu shot ?

I got one - two weeks ago - now I have the damn flu. Censored

Yeah, I know - it's not from the shot.

And in other news, my vaccinated granddaughter has chicken pox.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-10-2014, 03:56 PM
I don't know why Americans are worrying about Ebola. If they did come up with a vaccine some bunch of shitheads would start complaining that it caused autism or some such shit and refuse to take it or give it to their kids.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 6 users Like Minimalist's post
17-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Fairfax is an hour away from me.

I don't wanna hear your shit. Angry

*Proceeds in boarding up windows*

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
17-10-2014, 05:08 PM
The really embarrassing part is when they update the story in the link and it turns out everything is cool. Blush

*Humbly begins unboarding windows*

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
17-10-2014, 05:11 PM
(17-10-2014 05:08 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The really embarrassing part is when they update the story in the link and it turns out everything is cool. Blush

*Humbly begins unboarding windows*

Over react much Tongue

17-10-2014, 05:13 PM
You are more likely to die from the regular fliu, or in a car accident or from heart disease.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37