Ebola panic!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 04:33 PM
RE: Ebola panic!
Reminds me of the time I worked for a small start-up company back during the dot com boom. They were developing digital assistants that you could talk to using natural language and which would help answer questions about products.

The managers were enamoured by all kinds of hype and wanted to come up with some kind of anacronym to sell the concept, e- something, like e-mail but for conversational agents. Nowadays they would be wanting to come up with their own i- monikers.

So I suggested the Electronic Business Online Linguistic Assistant.

They considered it a good few minutes until they spelt it out.

It almost worked a second time too when I suggested Electronic Commercial Online Linguistic Intelligence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Mathilda's post
25-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Ebola panic!
What is the treatment for these people with this disease btw ?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2014, 08:52 PM
(24-10-2014 01:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
The missionary nurse, Nancy Writebol

Is that a weird coincidence, or what?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-10-2014, 09:15 PM
(25-10-2014 08:16 PM)TWITTERVANITYBONET Wrote:  What is the treatment for these people with this disease btw ?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
25-10-2014, 09:20 PM
(24-10-2014 01:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 01:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One guy has it in NY. Let's check at the end of the day and see how many people have died in car accidents today.

Or murder, overdose, heart attack, suicide, ...

Or the flu... Which is a virus that kills around 36,000 people a year annually in the US. That's the virus people should be worried about.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
26-10-2014, 04:18 PM
(24-10-2014 01:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was just reading through the Ebola thread below. My god, lets all get in a damn panic! Jesus christ, you're more likely to be killed in a car accident than die from Ebola but I don't see people panicking over cars and being terrified to drive them.

People are very puzzling sometimes.

Thought this headline was great:

What’s more likely to kill you — Ebola or doughnuts?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/whats-m...home_kiosk

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-10-2014, 08:08 PM
(25-10-2014 09:20 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Or the flu... Which is a virus that kills around 36,000 people a year annually in the US. That's the virus people should be worried about.

And that's a conservative estimate. More liberal ones pin the death toll to about 50,000 annual flu deaths in the U.S. The world can be a scary place, but to ball up in a shell at the slightest whiff of uncertainty or danger would mean, quite literally, the termination of existence. I think everyone should live with safety and security in mind, regardless of likelihood. However, the trick is to prevent yourself from dwelling on possibilities. A truly logical skeptic operates on probability.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
30-10-2014, 11:22 AM
The only problem I have with the whole "You're more likely to X" argument is that:

- I'm more likely to die in a car crash, so I wear a seatbelt.

- I'm more likely to be struck by lightening, so I avoid open spaces during lightening storms.

- I'm more likely to be eaten by a shark, so I don't swim in shark-infested waters.

- I'm more likely to be mugged, so I don't walk down dark alleyways at night.

- I'm more likely to catch the common cold, so I avoid people who are sick.

More or less likely is of no importance to me, ultimately. If there's a threat, I want to be aware of it so that I can plan accordingly. I don't want Ebola, so I'm going to avoid west Africa and apparently a few isolated locations here in the states.

Not sure why everyone gets so fucking pissy about this. Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
30-10-2014, 01:58 PM
(24-10-2014 01:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was just reading through the Ebola thread below. My god, lets all get in a damn panic! Jesus christ, you're more likely to be killed in a car accident than die from Ebola but I don't see people panicking over cars and being terrified to drive them.

People are very puzzling sometimes.

Sleepy
That is how I feel about ebola

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-11-2014, 03:47 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worl...out-ebola/

[Image: B1e1rRbCYAE2JFS-1.png&w=1484]

Quote:Despite clear geographical limits to the Ebola outbreak, many Americans seem confused. How else could you explain the recent Ebola scare that kept two children who had moved from Rwanda to New Jersey from attending school, despite the fact the East African country is Ebola-free (and further from West Africa than New Jersey is to Texas)? Or the resignation of a teacher in Kentucky due to a backlash to her traveling to Kenya? Or the significant cancellation of tourist trips to places like Kenya, Zimbabwe and South Africa?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post