Ecclesiastes 1:18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Ecclesiastes 1:18
"The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge, only increases sorrow." -Ecclesiastes 1:18

I just saw that one of my Christian facebook friends posted this as their status. It made me face palm so I thought I should share it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Punk Pumpkin's post
26-02-2014, 08:20 AM
RE: Ecclesiastes 1:18
Psalm 90:12
So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.

Yeah which one to go with. So many choices.
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Ohmy that's so fucked up it boggles my mind.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-02-2014, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 08:37 AM by donotwant.)
Ignorance is bliss^^
26-02-2014, 08:35 AM
See! God knew his book would make absolutely no sense if you ever took your eyes away from it and let any passages do anything but go in one ear and out the other! He made that passage be written specifically to warn us! Hobo

Also, interesting that your friend is on Facebook. I guess the passage really meant "Increase knowledge only until you can make computers; anything after that will make you sad".
26-02-2014, 08:35 AM
(26-02-2014 08:15 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  "The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge, only increases sorrow." -Ecclesiastes 1:18

I just saw that one of my Christian facebook friends posted this as their status. It made me face palm so I thought I should share it.

So this person sees a frontal lobotomy as a step up ? - Lovely

Where does one find the grief in sorrow in watching a child learn to walk for the first time.
Learning to read is amazing. Picking up a favorite book is one of the delights in life for me.
Learning itself is a joy. When I look at all the things I can do in life that bring me happiness, I learned to do them. I increased my knowledge. My wisdom grew as a result of practice.

How depressed would someone have to be to put this as their fb status ?
Just crazy

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-02-2014, 08:39 AM
If there are two things plaguing this world right now...it's wisdom and knowledge. We should do away with both of them.

Reminds me of Joyce Meyers "He (Satan) will look for your childs weakest area and attack that point. He will attempt to fill your child with worry, REASONING, fear, depression.."

It seems like a prevalent idea in religion is that the common folk need to stay from those big scary things like logic, reasoning, and knowledge.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
26-02-2014, 08:48 AM
(26-02-2014 08:15 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  "The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge, only increases sorrow." -Ecclesiastes 1:18

This actually looks like the Bible is directly addressing cognitive dissonance, and basically telling people how to avoid it. This is likely part of the basis of Martin Luther's whole "the greatest enemy of faith is reason" stance.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
26-02-2014, 09:18 AM
(26-02-2014 08:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  

So this person sees a frontal lobotomy as a step up ? - Lovely

Where does one find the grief in sorrow in watching a child learn to walk for the first time.
Learning to read is amazing. Picking up a favorite book is one of the delights in life for me.
Learning itself is a joy. When I look at all the things I can do in life that bring me happiness, I learned to do them. I increased my knowledge. My wisdom grew as a result of practice.

Just crazy
The thing is this girl is always posting statuses talking about how sad she is, and how lonely she is. Then she will go and post happy statuses about church and Jesus, it's completely contradicting.
26-02-2014, 09:20 AM
(26-02-2014 09:18 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 08:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So this person sees a frontal lobotomy as a step up ? - Lovely

Just crazy
The thing is this girl is always posting statuses talking about how sad she is, and how lonely she is. Then she will go and post happy statuses about church and Jesus, it's completely contradicting.

If god is on her side whats up with depression?