Ecclesiastes 1:18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 10:40 AM
RE: Ecclesiastes 1:18
(26-02-2014 09:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 08:15 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  "The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge, only increases sorrow." -Ecclesiastes 1:18

I just saw that one of my Christian facebook friends posted this as their status. It made me face palm so I thought I should share it.

This is absolute truth.

It is along the lines of 'Mo money Mo problems.'

Here solomon is telling us the more we know the more we are inturn responsiable for and ultimatly the more problems we will have as a result.the otherside of this intelectually is, that with greater awareness comes a greater sense of futility.

That explains why you fail so much intellectually.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 11:49 AM
(26-02-2014 08:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 08:15 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  "The greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge, only increases sorrow." -Ecclesiastes 1:18

This actually looks like the Bible is directly addressing cognitive dissonance, and basically telling people how to avoid it. This is likely part of the basis of Martin Luther's whole "the greatest enemy of faith is reason" stance.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The more one learns, the more one realizes how much time has been utterly wasted on religious pursuits and the more one must face the reality that the big sky daddy isn't there to help ever.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
26-02-2014, 11:54 AM
(26-02-2014 09:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  Here solomon is telling us the more we know the more we are inturn responsiable for and ultimatly the more problems we will have as a result.
So it means avoid responsibility for anything? How convenient. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair