Ectopic beats and supraventricular tachycardia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Ectopic beats and supraventricular tachycardia
So my Gp refered me to have a heart event monitor fitted as for the past 6 months ive occasionally had days were my heart palpitates.

The event recorder was basically a mini ECG that I wore, with three electrodes. When my heart palpitates I pressed a button and it stores the minute before I pressed the button and a minute after.

Today I had my results back with the nurse. I have ectopic beats and on one reading she was not sure if I had a supraventricular tachycardia or atrial fibrillation. She is passing my results to the consultants to decide. Either way their refering me to have an ultrasound to check the structure and workings of my heart. They may have to give me beta blockers, but she was unsure and it's not her decision to make.

Since they first began I made some major changes. Stopped smoking completely (weed and cigarettes) and changed my diet and become conscious of what I eat (I only eat fruit, veggies, pasta, rice, fish and chicken with careful, moderated amounts of fats) drink 3 litres of water a day and only have 2 cups of decaffeinated coffee a day maximum and recently, joined a gym.

So my question is does anybody else have experience of any of these conditions or any information they could share????

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
25-01-2017, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2017 08:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Ectopic beats and supraventricular tachycardia
We see these peeps all the time in the hospital, (or discover their rhythms when they're in with something else). Depends what they actually think they're seeing. Both SVT and AFib have pretty successful treatment protocols. If it's AFib, and resistant to meds, (which is unusual), down the road, they can try to zap the pathway (ablation). If it's SVT (did anyone say they were seeing PACs, "premature atrial contractions" ?), sometimes stress reduction and good sleep patterns can help. If it's MAT, (multiple atrial tach), which used to be called "wandering atrial pacemaker" (WAP) then the beat is coming from more than one atrial focus, and there are meds for that. Usually ectopic beats means PACs. For ectopic beets, you'll have to check with yer chef. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-01-2017, 07:49 PM
I get them often but I'm unable to see anyone about it right now.
29-01-2017, 08:28 AM
(25-01-2017 07:49 PM)pablo Wrote:  I get them often but I'm unable to see anyone about it right now.

Overall, they are mostly harmless. But it is still worth getting checked out if you get the opportunity.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
29-01-2017, 10:00 AM
I sometimes get palpitations, but they're usually anxiety related. They get especially bad if I've had anything caffeinated.

I've also had success with dietary changes. I eat more 'raw' food, in that it's less processed, and a wider variety of plain ol' fruits, grains, and nuts. I've decreased the amount of meats I eat and typically only eat red meat when it is grass-fed (and thus much leaner). I've started switching my cheeses for goat cheese (taste is awesome, a little less fat.)

I avoid anything caffeinated or high in simple sugars--no more coffee (occasional decaf is ok), no soda, no caffeinated teas, less candy.

I've also been exercising more. Mostly speed walking or jogging to keep my heart-rate up for 15 minutes or more a day. Altogether this has helped enormously with my anxiety and palpitations, and I've lost weight! Big Grin

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
29-01-2017, 12:21 PM
(29-01-2017 10:00 AM)Loom Wrote:  I sometimes get palpitations, but they're usually anxiety related. They get especially bad if I've had anything caffeinated.

I've also had success with dietary changes. I eat more 'raw' food, in that it's less processed, and a wider variety of plain ol' fruits, grains, and nuts. I've decreased the amount of meats I eat and typically only eat red meat when it is grass-fed (and thus much leaner). I've started switching my cheeses for goat cheese (taste is awesome, a little less fat.)

I avoid anything caffeinated or high in simple sugars--no more coffee (occasional decaf is ok), no soda, no caffeinated teas, less candy.

I've also been exercising more. Mostly speed walking or jogging to keep my heart-rate up for 15 minutes or more a day. Altogether this has helped enormously with my anxiety and palpitations, and I've lost weight! Big Grin

Exactly. I meant to mention caffeine. If you have PACs, they say to avoid caffeine.
Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.