Edging closer to a Post Linguistic Society?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2013, 08:24 PM
RE: Edging closer to a Post Linguistic Society?
If such things were possible in the future would it perhaps change our perception of time? What I mean by this is we have conscious and sub conscious thoughts. "synching" our brains to technology may blur the lines between the two, allowing unprecedented access to ourselves.

Also computers can handle many different tasks almost instantaneously, this is only going to increase as time goes on, so if our brains are connected to such power then in one second we could process almost unlimited tasks, with access to almost unlimited information. Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2013, 08:33 PM
(28-02-2013 08:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  If such things were possible in the future would it perhaps change our perception of time? What I mean by this is we have conscious and sub conscious thoughts. "synching" our brains to technology may blur the lines between the two, allowing unprecedented access to ourselves.

Also computers can handle many different tasks almost instantaneously, this is only going to increase as time goes on, so if our brains are connected to such power then in one second we could process almost unlimited tasks, with access to almost unlimited information. Consider

I do not think our perception of time will change unless we change the rate of firing of neurons in the brain. Specifically the brain clock in the midbrain.

The computer may be able to process that much information, but that doesn't mean we will be able to comprehend that information. nonetheless it is an iteresting idea.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

01-03-2013, 12:52 AM
(28-02-2013 08:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  If such things were possible in the future would it perhaps change our perception of time? What I mean by this is we have conscious and sub conscious thoughts. "synching" our brains to technology may blur the lines between the two, allowing unprecedented access to ourselves.

But computers already handle work for us much more quickly than 100 years ago. Is our perception of time altered from then? I doubt it, but that's difficult to measure.

I think instead that with the increase in effective mental processing power we will find new tasks which require more from us and thus fill the void left by the time we would have spent on those more menial tasks.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-03-2013, 04:46 AM
I think the above posts evidence a limited foresight. Computers today are about a billion times faster per computing dollar
than in the 70's, in another 25-30 years, they will be a billion times
faster than they are today. This is almost impossible to comprehend.

It is inevitable that we will transfer our minds into machines, while our biotech will progress to unimaginable levels, the robustness and processor speeds will never exceed what is possible with non-biological materials. With minds running on computer time, subjective time becomes frightening. Within 50 years, computers as 'high-end' as a $1K PC today, relatively speaking, will be capable of thinking the equivalent of trillions of entire 100 year lifetimes of thought by today's humans in one second. These are the orders of magnitude coming, and not that far off. One can't really grasp the almost terrifying implications of this.
01-03-2013, 05:09 AM
Actually Mech, Moore's law has hit its limits. At least as far as silicon tech goes. We've got maybe another 7-10 years of improvement in terms of performance per watt, past that any improvements will have to come from either larger (more expensive, more power hungry) dies, more advanced architecture (limited improvements, higher R&D cost), or more efficient coding (fat chance, for consumer software). Performance per dollar will freeze a little while later.

Quantum computing will not help. Quantum computers do a few types of computations very well, and for most others they're mediocre. We might see quantum add-on cards in the future, then maybe on-board quantum chips; they might even reach consumer dies. But it won't bring huge improvements.

Graphene has been shown to be a poor candidate for replacing silicon, due to a variety of issues. Silicene, the Silicon equivalent of Graphene, does show potential... But we're 10 years from having a viable silicene computer, and 20-30 years from having a cost effective one that rivals silicon chips in terms of performance.

So between when silicon taps out and when silicene becomes economically viable, there's going to be 10-20 years of stagnation before we see more significant improvement. That's assuming that silicene really can beat silicon chips in terms of performance per dollar or watt.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
01-03-2013, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 07:17 AM by DeepThought.)
I find this article I read today close to the mark of linking brains together.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/404013...e-internet

Quote: For this new study, Nicolelis and his colleagues ran several experiments to see if the rats in one group, called "decoders," could process and respond to the sights and sense of touch originally experienced by the other group of rats, called "encoders." In one experiment, scientists trained both groups of rats to press a lever after they saw an LED light over it, rewarding them with a drink of water. But because the rats were linked, even when the light wasn't shining in the cage of a decoder rat, or when there were multiple lights shining, it would still push on the right lever about 70 percent of the time that its counterpart in the encoder group pushed the right lever.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
(01-03-2013 07:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I find this article I read today close to the mark of linking brains together.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/404013...e-internet

Quote: For this new study, Nicolelis and his colleagues ran several experiments to see if the rats in one group, called "decoders," could process and respond to the sights and sense of touch originally experienced by the other group of rats, called "encoders." In one experiment, scientists trained both groups of rats to press a lever after they saw an LED light over it, rewarding them with a drink of water. But because the rats were linked, even when the light wasn't shining in the cage of a decoder rat, or when there were multiple lights shining, it would still push on the right lever about 70 percent of the time that its counterpart in the encoder group pushed the right lever.

This is the same experiment I linked above. I just linked it from Nicolelis's web site instead of an external source. His PDF of the research protocol is amazingly detailed for something available to the public for free.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-03-2013, 09:06 AM
That stuff is so last year. Tongue

A potential alternate to the quantum computer is the optical computer... http://www.rdmag.com/news/2013/02/metama...ht-devices

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
01-03-2013, 09:08 AM
(01-03-2013 05:09 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Actually Mech, Moore's law has hit its limits. At least as far as silicon tech goes. We've got maybe another 7-10 years of improvement in terms of performance per watt, past that any improvements will have to come from either larger (more expensive, more power hungry) dies, more advanced architecture (limited improvements, higher R&D cost), or more efficient coding (fat chance, for consumer software). Performance per dollar will freeze a little while later.

Quantum computing will not help. Quantum computers do a few types of computations very well, and for most others they're mediocre. We might see quantum add-on cards in the future, then maybe on-board quantum chips; they might even reach consumer dies. But it won't bring huge improvements.

Graphene has been shown to be a poor candidate for replacing silicon, due to a variety of issues. Silicene, the Silicon equivalent of Graphene, does show potential... But we're 10 years from having a viable silicene computer, and 20-30 years from having a cost effective one that rivals silicon chips in terms of performance.

So between when silicon taps out and when silicene becomes economically viable, there's going to be 10-20 years of stagnation before we see more significant improvement. That's assuming that silicene really can beat silicon chips in terms of performance per dollar or watt.
Moore is not less today than it has been since well before its recognition, nor are there any less pronouncing its demise. Intel has just started using their 3-D architecture, and there is enough stuff on the horizon to get at least into the 2020's. So far, there's always been a better mousetrap, I wouldn't count out the engineers and scientist just yet. Try looking for quotes on the huge array of folk over the last three decades making the claim you have made. Have you seen some of the stuff they're doing with nano-tech? With single-atom manipulation? 3-D printing? Who knows what unknown unknown will pop up [obviously no one, by definition]
01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes; but wherever tech goes, we won't be seeing huge improvements from silicon past the end of this decade. Researchers are tapping out around the 5nm mark. Intel is readying to go to 14nm in a year or two; then ~9-11nm, then ~7nm.

Like I said, tech will improve, just not as quickly as you might think or hope. There is going to be a major stalling point when we reach the limits of current processes and have to wait for potential replacements to catch up.

It's one thing to make something in the lab. It's something else entirely to make a multi billion dollar factory capable of making a hundred million devices a year with >50% yield. And it's something else again when it's a completely new technology that needs to be performance/cost/power competitive with existing devices.

Not saying you're entirely wrong. Just... Be realistic, ok?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.