Edible Food Packaging made from Milk Protein Casein. Now we can Eat the Food Wrappers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 04:37 AM
Edible Food Packaging made from Milk Protein Casein. Now we can Eat the Food Wrappers
At the grocery store, most foods -- meats, breads, cheeses, snacks -- come wrapped in plastic packaging. Not only does this create a lot of non-recyclable, non-biodegradable waste, but thin plastic films are not great at preventing spoilage. And some plastics are suspected of leaching potentially harmful compounds into food. To address these issues, scientists are now developing a packaging film made of milk proteins -- and it is even edible.

The researchers are presenting their work at American Chemical Society (ACS).

The protein-based films are powerful oxygen blockers that help prevent food spoilage. When used in packaging, they could prevent food waste during distribution along the food chain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Karthikaqpt's post
22-08-2016, 07:50 AM
RE: Edible Food Packaging made from Milk Protein Casein. Now we can Eat the Food Wrappers
Oh great. Now we're going to find McDonald's hamburgers and french fries in the ditch instead of the wrappers, as soon as people figure out they taste better than the "food".

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-08-2016, 08:48 AM
RE: Edible Food Packaging made from Milk Protein Casein. Now we can Eat the Food Wrappers
So instead of reading the back of the cereal box during my morning breakfast, I eat the box. Sounds fun. Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-08-2016, 10:56 AM
The wrapping is there to keep bugs and contamination out. I'll throw the wrapping in a pile and let the bugs finish eating it...outside, of course. Beats clogging a landfill with Styrofoam.
22-08-2016, 11:36 AM
This is a great idea! Not sure how many people would want to eat the wrapper considering how dirty it must be, but its makeup will make it a great item to be composted. If they can do it with milk casein, they can probably also figure out a way to make it with plant matter to satisfy vegans and milk allergy sufferers.
22-08-2016, 11:47 AM
I am not sure if you phrased it with the "edible" part for click baits.
Those bio degradable "plastics" have been a thing for quite a few years already.
My workplace actually provides bio degradable cutlery > goes into the compost.
The fact that it is bio degradable is not equal to edible. If you eat that stuff, you will still get pretty bad stomach pains. I promise that.
I know about the thing with the milk proteins. Other clickbaits said that these plastics are made from milk which is about as correct as your "edible".
It is like saying that apple leather is edible because it is made from apple peels o.O (yes apple leather exists)
Stuff is too processed to be edible. Bleaches, hardeners, colours, stuff to prevent those things to degrade before we want them to, etc.

So I absolutely support the research and invention of alternatives to "normal" plastic, especially bio degradable options, but I really have to speak out against eating those Wink Tongue

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post