Memorization
Other
[Show Results]

Education

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2018, 02:45 AM
Education
Are you in favor of Outcome-based education?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcome-ba...on_methods

Or a memorization-based system, like Rote learning?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learn...for_school

Or something else?

Go.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2018, 03:34 AM
RE: Education
It's a hard one to say which is better, as some learn in different ways.

I believe, if I've read it right, I would have gone through OBE method of education which mostly worked out fine for me personally. That being said we also had other methods including mixing in "less smart" kids into the top classes (which is how I got into the top classes) in an attempt to bring them up to speed quicker. In my case it worked out well, but I know others who struggled terribly with that end of it.

My daughters school try and teach using "involved learning" which is where they'll teach the basic stuff (math, english) but try and involve something that interests the child (counting objects, fantasy stories etc) rather than forcing something mundane and repetitive on them, which seems to have a good effect on the kids at least.

Then again, and I presume a lot of people are the same, a lot of things I've learned I've taught myself since leaving school. As I've gotten older, my interest in various things have changed, and other interests I have/had lead me into other areas etc, so I picked it up as I went along.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
17-05-2018, 06:13 AM
I voted "other".

Rote for primary school kids, and outcome-based for high school kids.

The first must learn the basics of arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing etc. While the latter need to be focussed on potential career paths, the sciences, humanities, politics, technology, the arts, societal issue etc.

Here in Australia, far too many high school graduates are now requiring retraining in both maths and English prior to university entry, simply because of inadequate primary school teaching.
Many have been noted as being unable to write cohesive, grammatically-adequate theses or comprehend simple arithmetic functions. Sad really.    No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
17-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Which one teaches the kid at the Wendy's drive through how to figure out that they owe me $1.04 after I hand them $5.40 for a bill of $4.36?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
17-05-2018, 12:51 PM
(17-05-2018 02:45 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Are you in favor of Outcome-based education?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcome-ba...on_methods

Or a memorization-based system, like Rote learning?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learn...for_school

Or something else?

Go.

A blended approach.

"One size fits all" is guaranteed to screw a large number of students, no matter which system is adopted. Different people learn best in different ways.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
17-05-2018, 12:52 PM
You really need both memorization and outcome based teaching. People still need to memorize stuff. It's good for our brains.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-05-2018, 02:06 PM
(17-05-2018 11:10 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Which one teaches the kid at the Wendy's drive through how to figure out that they owe me $1.04 after I hand them $5.40 for a bill of $4.36?

I eat out a fair amount, and it always bothers me when the waitress/waiter rounds the bill up or down instead of giving me the exact change. Too often it messes up the tip I want to leave.
17-05-2018, 05:12 PM
It isn't servers rounding things that bother me. It's the high percentage of people that can't look at a quarter, dime and a nickel in their hand and come up with 40 cents in their head.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
17-05-2018, 07:36 PM
(17-05-2018 11:10 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Which one teaches the kid at the Wendy's drive through how to figure out that they owe me $1.04 after I hand them $5.40 for a bill of $4.36?

The way things are going who will teach the teachers.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post