Education, Cost and Availability
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Education, Cost and Availability
Hi. I noticed there is not an Education forum so I am commenting here. This is sort of a rant, a plea, a cry for a help and a bemoanment of the reality that there is none.

I grew up a born again christian and all sorts of other things. I consider myself well educated, worldly (I have been to over 16 countries), and have a relatively high IQ with a decent capacity to use it.

I made some financial mistakes when I was younger and had to drop out of the christian college I went to. I owe them money so they never released my credits. I had to start over from scratch.

I have a lot of debt. I got fired a year ago and decided to go back to school. I am suffering financially. I have no health insurance and cannot take the medication I need and when I say money is bad I mean EXTREMELY bad. My husband wants me to drop out of school.

This is devastating to me. I am almost done with my associates degree and was accepted to the local U. I was going to major in Anthropology with a minor in Evolutionary Science. I want an education SOOOO BADDDD. I FINALLY learned about evolution for the first time for real only 2 years ago. I want to go into the sciences but I can't afford it. I'm 33, I don't have time to "start over again" AGAIN. I have a 3.85 gpa and I know I am worth it. Smartass

My husband and I do not combine finances because of my extreme debt. I am afraid of bankruptcy because we just got married and I don't want to ruin his life. He barely makes enough to pay 3 bills, rent, electric, internet (I am an online student at an accredited community college). Thats it. Gas and some food. We always run out and getting gas money for job interviews is terrifying.

We have been denied all public assistance because he "makes too much money". One interesting tid bit on low income is that, at least we have, GAINED weight because the quality of our food has declined. Also all the other health concerns yadda yadda- I don't know how we are going to afford health care.

I AM trying to get a job mind you- it is near impossible.

But neither bankruptcy or a job will help School costs. As you all know student loan rates just doubled. What the hell do I do.

I don't believe in god and therefore realize the world is not fair, there won't be any miracles to hope in. I have a history of depression and anxiety and am taking a nose dive. What the hell do I do?

I'd like advise on any of these topics, but please consider that we have done A LOT so far- so the first things people think of- we have probably already tried.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Education, Cost and Availability
My first thoughts are:

1. reach out to friends and family for advice or assistance. Whether it's emotional, financial, job opportunity, or networking to find those things mentioned (friend of a friend could help you...)
2. if there's psychological issues at play, or stress, or a need to get perspective on life, seek counselling/therapy.
3. if there's financial issues at play, seek financial advisor's to determine how much you own, how much you owe, what you need to cut back on, how much to save, what your budget should be, how much you should be making, etc.
4. squeeze every resource you can from the nearest employment office. Whether it's jobs postings, or resources for gaining employment.
5. For now, get schooling for degrees that will help immediately. Something technical or for the office. Secure a a job, pay down debts, and create a firm financial foundation which later you can use to pay for additional schooling, or have sufficient savings to pursue a better career.

But I know nothing, just shooting in the dark.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply