Education Dilema

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Education Dilema
In a short two years, my oldest daughter is going to start school. Unfortunately the public school system in my city is an absolute mess. I won't go into detail, but trust me when I say it is shameful the way it is currently being run. I would love nothing more than to be able to send my girls to a private school, but it's not financially feasible right now. Option 3 would be the Catholic School system. I know... I know.... but there are some benefits to go along with the obvious elephant in the room. They do offer a great education despite the fact that they also teach... well... you know what. They are also much less expensive than true private schools. I would obviously have to explain to my daughters that the theology class shouldn't be taken as factual, but are they old enough to understand? Would they be kicked out if they started to question religion in front of the other students? I'm not sure which way we'll go, but I'd love to hear some of your opinions.

downhomeatheist.com
A place to escape your downhome Christian upbringing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2016, 03:08 PM
RE: Education Dilema
I feel you. My mr and I are planning children at the moment and I have very similar fears about school around here too.
There is a small amount of secular schools here but with a 6 year waiting list attached...
We came to the following conclusion:
Once the baby is here, enroll for the secular school and hope for the best.
If the child won't get a place there, put it on a catholic school and neither opt out of reilgious lessons nor "counter indoctrinate".
We will be raising (or try to) a child that asks questions and thinks for itself. And we will be open and approachable. If we see some very stupid religious homework, we can spark a discussion at home or simply spark more questions, we can always ask questions about things as well. Lead by good example, right?

I think the whole "religion in school" thing is actually much less threatening than you would expect.
I know tons of people in my city who grew up in this catholic school system and are completely and deeply atheist. Simply because they have always been encouraged to think for themselves and not take anything for a fact without having actual evidence.

I hope this helps or at least sparks a bit of hope in you.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2016, 09:22 AM
RE: Education Dilema
That does help, Leela. I also have some friends that were educated in the Catholic School system, and many of them are atheist. They're one of the main reasons I'm even considering sending my girls to Catholic school.

downhomeatheist.com
A place to escape your downhome Christian upbringing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Downhome Atheist's post