Education, and introduction to myself.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Education, and introduction to myself.
That is probably a bad title, excuse me about that!

Hi my name is Nick, I'm 18, and about 4 years behind in school, due reason? To the A.C.E curriculum. Now I was a theist until I was a few days of being short of 18. With that, came the usual fear and everything that follows, I now actually care for my education and don't want to take it slowly, I also convinced my mom to let me drop out of that school, as they've always made excuses as to why I've needed to stay where I am, even when I've gotten 90's over and over...

What are some books that you would recommend to catch me up? I'm also in a country that has terrible public education, and most teachers refuse to teach evolution, except in the big cities, and I doubt we are moving there any time soon.

I'm thinking of returning to the US (I'm from the US, but my parents as expats moved down to Costa Rica when I was two)

Any input on education would be great, thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like DisastrousBlueberry's post
13-06-2018, 12:55 PM
RE: Education, and introduction to myself.
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-06-2018, 12:59 PM
(13-06-2018 12:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Welcome.

Thank you!
13-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Welcome! I think Undeniable:Evolution and the Science of Creation by Bill Nye would be a good place to start.
13-06-2018, 01:14 PM
I recommend The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
13-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Hello & welcome from Canada!

As for books, my all time favourite is Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond.

For the longest time I didn't understand why there was such a huge difference in human cultures around the world (like how can we have landed on the moon when there are still stone age cultures on earth?) when humans basically started with the same physical and mental capabilities. It really opened my eyes to how availability of food, resources, climate, geography & a host of other factors helped determine why some cultures advanced faster then others and why some advanced more then others in different fields, like art or language, or violence and war, diplomacy or technology.

[Image: 9781598873481.jpg]

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
13-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Hello! Big Grin
13-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Hi and welcome! I work with a lot of people in Costa Rica. Smile Although, I live in Florida.
13-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-06-2018, 01:58 PM
(13-06-2018 01:23 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Hello & welcome from Canada!

As for books, my all time favourite is Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond.

For the longest time I didn't understand why there was such a huge difference in human cultures around the world (like how can we have landed on the moon when there are still stone age cultures on earth?) when humans basically started with the same physical and mental capabilities. It really opened my eyes to how availability of food, resources, climate, geography & a host of other factors helped determine why some cultures advanced faster then others and why some advanced more then others in different fields, like art or language, or violence and war, diplomacy or technology.

[Image: 9781598873481.jpg]

Thank you, wow I'm going to go ahead and read this!