Educational Neglect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Educational Neglect
I was home-schooled from the middle of 4th grade on.

Actually, I wasn't even schooled. I was just home. It feels so weird to say this, but I was a victim of educational neglect.

My parents wanted to protect me and my 2 younger sisters from the dangerous and sinful world. I'm still dealing with the repercussions. I honestly don't think I even have the basic math skills to work in fast food. But I have goals! Next year I plan to enroll in an online high school through a local community college. The thing is, you have to have an 8th grade education from an accredited school to enroll. I know I'm no where near 8th grade math. I'll work at it though. At least I can read. I read like crazy as a kid and teen.

Don't feel bad for me, because even though it might be taking me longer than most, I will succeed. Yes

Has anyone here experienced home-schooling? Was it positive or negative?

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
30-10-2014, 10:25 AM
RE: Educational Neglect
I haven't had experience with home schooling but I wanted to say....I applaud your thirst for knowledge. Keep it up. Work hard. We need more people like you in this world.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like riseinside's post
30-10-2014, 10:34 AM
The people I know that home school their kids are like your parents. Most of the kids end-up being short changed on education and social skills. I know very few parents that are cut out to be educators.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
30-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I was home schooled for five years! I'll get back on later for a better explanation but right now I gotta get to sleep. Tongue

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
30-10-2014, 11:00 AM
(30-10-2014 10:25 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I haven't had experience with home schooling but I wanted to say....I applaud your thirst for knowledge. Keep it up. Work hard. We need more people like you in this world.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. Smile

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
30-10-2014, 11:15 AM
(30-10-2014 10:34 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The people I know that home school their kids are like your parents. Most of the kids end-up being short changed on education and social skills. I know very few parents that are cut out to be educators.

I obviously have pretty negative feelings toward home-schooling. So for the most part I'm against it, though I have seen some people who have done it successfully.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
30-10-2014, 11:44 AM
I had pretty much the same experience. The only difference is that I was taken out after 6th grade instead of 4th.

Instead of actually schooling us, my mom pretty much sat in bed and watched TV all day while we did whatever we wanted. Every now and then, we'd have to take a test to send to the homeschool company to prove that we were being educated, and thankfully, I'm smart enough to figure shit out on my own, so, I always passed the tests.

I have mixed feelings about my "schooling." On the one hand, I'm glad that I wasn't sat down and forced to learn things I didn't care about. I'm glad that I was able to be left on my own to figure things out for myself. That's what I've always been most comfortable with. Education is a wonderful tool and I now appreciate it as an adult, but my personality is such that I just want to do things on my own. Hypothesize and experiment and deduce without being directed. Again, I value education so it pains me to say it, but when I was taken out of school, I blossomed intellectually.

On the other hand, however, there are a lot of things one misses when they're taken out of school. I missed having a social life and ended up becoming reclusive. This, in time, made me incredibly lonely and, when I finally sought the company of others, I was so socially inept that it was awkward. Another thing is how being homeschooled fucks with your ability to break out into the world once you become an adult. I never officially graduated; my education just kind of trailed off. So, having grown up, I had to go through a bunch of shit to get my GED. I now work for myself, but GEDs and homeschooling credentials aren't generally looked upon favorably by employers.

Ultimately, I'd agree that I was neglected in my education, but I'd also say that it wasn't all bad. Either way, I'm still undecided about whether or not I personally approve of homeschooling.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2014, 12:06 PM
(29-10-2014 02:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I was home-schooled from the middle of 4th grade on.

Actually, I wasn't even schooled. I was just home. It feels so weird to say this, but I was a victim of educational neglect.

My parents wanted to protect me and my 2 younger sisters from the dangerous and sinful world. I'm still dealing with the repercussions. I honestly don't think I even have the basic math skills to work in fast food. But I have goals! Next year I plan to enroll in an online high school through a local community college. The thing is, you have to have an 8th grade education from an accredited school to enroll. I know I'm no where near 8th grade math. I'll work at it though. At least I can read. I read like crazy as a kid and teen.

Don't feel bad for me, because even though it might be taking me longer than most, I will succeed. Yes

Has anyone here experienced home-schooling? Was it positive or negative?

I can tell you are an exceptionally smart person. You'll do great things. Anyone who quotes Oscar Wilde must be intelligent just by association. You're OK by me. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-10-2014, 12:17 PM
(30-10-2014 11:44 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Instead of actually schooling us, my mom pretty much sat in bed and watched TV all day while we did whatever we wanted. Every now and then, we'd have to take a test to send to the homeschool company to prove that we were being educated, and thankfully, I'm smart enough to figure shit out on my own, so, I always passed the tests.

Ultimately, I'd agree that I was neglected in my education, but I'd also say that it wasn't all bad. Either way, I'm still undecided about whether or not I personally approve of homeschooling.

Yeah, my mom spent a lot of time in her room all day too. We didn't take any tests. I'm pretty sure my mom would put together something on her own and send it in. Sometimes I get really curious about how she was able to get around the home school laws in FL.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
30-10-2014, 12:18 PM
(30-10-2014 12:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 02:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  

I can tell you are an exceptionally smart person. You'll do great things. Anyone who quotes Oscar Wilde must be intelligent just by association. You're OK by me. Thumbsup

Thank you! You're very kind. Smile

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde