Educational Neglect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: Educational Neglect
I don't doubt for a second that you'll succeed! Thumbsup

My only experience with home schooling is from a friend who is born again and they home schooled their kids.

They are both bright kids and I think they did ok with it but the daughter was brought up with an attitude that the man is the bread winner and not the woman. Her continuing education isn't seen as necessary.

This, is in my opinion, is absolutely ridiculous. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
30-10-2014, 09:46 PM
It seems like I was pretty lucky with my experience of homeschooling. My mom was actually involved in our education and taught us stuff. At the time, I liked it a lot. We got up and started school at 9am and we were finished by lunch time. The rest of the day was spent playing, reading, spending time outside, or whatever we wanted to do (we being me, my brother, and sister). Since we were really involved in church, we got enough socializing. There were at least 4 other families who homeschooled there, too, so we had a lot of play-dates and outings together. If I could homeschool like that, minus the church aspect, I might consider it for my possible future kids. The thing is, the homeschooling community throughout the US is heavily influenced by Christianity. Speaking to the educatioanl neglect part, my science background was sorely lacking for many years because of the indoctrination into a young earth model. Now, we still experimented with biology and chemistry - we watched butterfles emerge from chrysalis, we watched tadpoles grow into frogs, and we did stuff like building a volcano with baking soda and vinegar. But when it came to evolution or deeper biology, we missed out. I really appreciate my time being homeschooled because I think despite the indoctrination, I got a lot out of it. And luckily, I was able to escape later in life thanks to college courses.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
30-10-2014, 09:58 PM
khan academy and IXL.com

Also, talk to the local high school in your area, explain your situation, they probably have a list of teachers, tutors and others that use for students who go the GED route. If nothing else, they can atleast point you in the right direction.

most importantly know that math is a skill. Learn the basics, know them well, and then build on them.

order some workbooks to practice working thru the lessons.

And know if you get stuck, you can come here, we got some smart ones here that will help you out. Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
31-10-2014, 05:53 AM
(30-10-2014 12:43 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I don't doubt for a second that you'll succeed! Thumbsup

Her continuing education isn't seen as necessary.

This, is in my opinion, is absolutely ridiculous. Drinking Beverage

Thanks! I appreciate the support! I need all that I can get!

And unfortunately I've heard of a lot of home school parents teach their daughters that. It is very ridiculous. At least my parents never taught us that.

Quote:It seems like I was pretty lucky with my experience of homeschooling.

Colourcraze, I'm glad your experience was so good. Science is a pretty new subject for me. I've watched a lot of documentaries about evolution and earth space science. I love it! It makes me feel so small, but it's also kinda beautiful at the same time.
I think the only reason I would home school my future kid is if they had a some type of behavior or social issue, and the school wanted to prescribe drugs to him. Sometimes medication might be necessary, but I'd prefer teach my kid how to function without drugs if at all possible.

Quote:khan academy and IXL.com
Bows and Arrows, I've been on khan academy, but not IXL. I just looked through it and it looks awesome! It'll definitely come in handy! Thanks for the tip!

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
27-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Does anyone know what I should look for when finding out if a program is accredited? I'm looking into this program, but I've been scammed by another online HS program once before. The accreditation seem to be legit, but I just want to get a second opinion.

This website offers continuing education courses through community colleges and universities, so I would think that's a good sign. I found out about it on my local community college's website.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
27-12-2014, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 11:28 AM by GirlyMan.)
(29-10-2014 02:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  The thing is, you have to have an 8th grade education from an accredited school to enroll. I know I'm no where near 8th grade math.

Isn't there a test you can take instead of an accredited school? Most reputable schools would have that. And does this online High School cost money? If so run away fast. Coursera and other MOOCs will teach you everything you need for free. But why go through the hassle of High School at all. Study for the GED, pass it and enroll straight in college or university. For that matter, why bother with the GED? The community colleges in my state of MD have their own placement and entrance exams, no High School required. If I wanted to catch up quick, I'd self-study online for free for the community college placement exams (or the SATs if you'd prefer) and enroll directly in college and skip High School entirely. It's superfluous.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 11:24 AM
(30-10-2014 12:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I can tell you are an exceptionally smart person. You'll do great things. Anyone who quotes Oscar Wilde must be intelligent just by association. You're OK by me. Thumbsup

their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Thumbsup

“This wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. Either it goes or I do.” Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 11:29 AM
(27-12-2014 11:18 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 02:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  The thing is, you have to have an 8th grade education from an accredited school to enroll. I know I'm no where near 8th grade math.

Khan academy will teach you the math and most everything else. Isn't there a test you can take instead of an accredited school? Most reputable schools would have that. And does this online High School cost money? If so run away fast. But why go through the hassle of High School at all. Study for the GED, pass it and enroll straight in college or university. For that matter, why bother with the GED? The community colleges in my state of MD have their own placement and entrance exams, no High School required. If I wanted to catch up quick, I'd self-study online for free for the community college placement exams (or the SATs if you'd prefer) and enroll directly in college and skip High School entirely.

Good point. Just taking a placement test would probably be faster and cheaper. I guess I just make things (especially things that have to do with education) a lot more complicated than they probably actually are. I'm afraid that I'll take a placement test or the SAT and I won't know any of the answers. Undecided

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
27-12-2014, 11:32 AM
(27-12-2014 11:29 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Good point. Just taking a placement test would probably be faster and cheaper. I guess I just make things (especially things that have to do with education) a lot more complicated than they probably actually are. I'm afraid that I'll take a placement test or the SAT and I won't know any of the answers. Undecided

Study for them so you won't be surprised. Take practice exams to identify your weak areas and put more emphasis on those. The community college placement exams in MD don't cost anything and you can take them as many times as you like.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 11:38 AM
(27-12-2014 11:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Study for them so you won't be surprised. Take practice exams to identify your weak areas and put more emphasis on those. The community college placement exams in MD don't cost anything and you can take them as many times as you like.

That's a good idea. Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself and get a better score than I thought. Smile If not, at least I'll know where I'm at.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post