Educational Neglect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 11:54 AM
RE: Educational Neglect
I have no data but my impression is that homeschooling here is less common than the US. And to me the very concept feels a bit weird, to be honest.

But Lady, I am happy for you and your decision. Having a thirst for knowledge is the first step, and I'm sure you'll be able to walk down that path!

You mentioned math a lot, do you want to study to prepare you in a particular field or you simply want to expand your knowledge in multiple subjects in general? Just curious. Big Grin

Good luck for everything!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
27-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks, PA Smile
I really want nothing to do with math. LOL Math is just something that I made a big deal out of for a long time. I think math is a big deal for me because I spent all my homeschool years trying to teach myself multiplication...or more specifically, my times tables. I had the idea in my head that I couldn't move on unless I memorized all my times tables. I was my own teacher, so even when I did find motivation to try to teach myself, I didn't know when I was qualified to move up in math or any other subject. I was stuck.

I guess my longing to learn basic math is purely psychological. I want to learn because I feel like I owe it to myself.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
27-12-2014, 12:33 PM
(27-12-2014 12:29 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Thanks, PA Smile
I really want nothing to do with math. LOL Math is just something that I made a big deal out of for a long time. I think math is a big deal for me because I spent all my homeschool years trying to teach myself multiplication...or more specifically, my times tables. I had the idea in my head that I couldn't move on unless I memorized all my times tables. I was my own teacher, so even when I did find motivation to try to teach myself, I didn't know when I was qualified to move up in math or any other subject. I was stuck.

I guess my longing to learn basic math is purely psychological. I want to learn because I feel like I owe it to myself.

I would be glad to help you with any math you encounter. Just PM me. It's really not that difficult!

Kudos to you for wanting to learn, and for going after it! Thumbsup

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
27-12-2014, 12:34 PM
I see Lady. Big Grin Math is one of those subjects that you see as most hated (stereotypically at least). I was a huge fan of it in high school. Math is quite "mechanical" if you think about it. At least, that's how it felt to me. All you did in class was

1. Learn new rule
2. Apply said rule to new exercises

Once you understand how the rule works, you can find out what tricks the exercises can hide that makes them seem more difficult. It's been a while since I last had to study it and it's not in my field, but feel free to ask. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
27-12-2014, 12:42 PM
(27-12-2014 12:33 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I would be glad to help you with any math you encounter. Just PM me. It's really not that difficult!

Kudos to you for wanting to learn, and for going after it! Thumbsup

(27-12-2014 12:34 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I see Lady. Big Grin Math is one of those subjects that you see as most hated (stereotypically at least). I was a huge fan of it in high school. Math is quite "mechanical" if you think about it. At least, that's how it felt to me. All you did in class was

1. Learn new rule
2. Apply said rule to new exercises

Once you understand how the rule works, you can find out what tricks the exercises can hide that makes them seem more difficult. It's been a while since I last had to study it and it's not in my field, but feel free to ask. Big Grin

Thank you both! Smile My plan is to take girly's advice and to take a placement test. I'm gonna find out were I'm at and go from there. Thumbsup

PA, that's a good way to look at it! I'll definitely remember that. Smile

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
27-12-2014, 12:46 PM
(29-10-2014 02:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I was home-schooled from the middle of 4th grade on.

Actually, I wasn't even schooled. I was just home. It feels so weird to say this, but I was a victim of educational neglect.

My parents wanted to protect me and my 2 younger sisters from the dangerous and sinful world. I'm still dealing with the repercussions. I honestly don't think I even have the basic math skills to work in fast food. But I have goals! Next year I plan to enroll in an online high school through a local community college. The thing is, you have to have an 8th grade education from an accredited school to enroll. I know I'm no where near 8th grade math. I'll work at it though. At least I can read. I read like crazy as a kid and teen.

Don't feel bad for me, because even though it might be taking me longer than most, I will succeed. Yes

Has anyone here experienced home-schooling? Was it positive or negative?

What you appear to lack in regards to formal education seems to be dwarfed by your obvious intellectual capacity.

I see no problems at all for you in the future.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
27-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a plan, Lady! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd