Educational, unbiased religious info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 08:42 AM
RE: Educational, unbiased religious info
After researching Buddhism, the only thing I don't agree with is the reincarnation. There is no way to possibly know that reincarnation is true. Therefore, it requires blind faith, which I'm not keen on. Since believe means to "accept it as truth", I cannot believe that reincarnation exists. It MAY be true, but there's no way to know, therefore I do not accept it as truth that reincarnation exists.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Buddhism. I absolutely love the enlightenment aspect, and that there are no miracles involved. It's not trail mix though, you can't just pick the pieces you like. Therefore, I cannot call myself a Buddhist as much as I like the concept of achieving ultimate nirvana.

My source: http://www.gotquestions.org/buddhism.html

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 12:43 AM
RE: Educational, unbiased religious info
(09-07-2014 08:42 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  After researching Buddhism, the only thing I don't agree with is the reincarnation. There is no way to possibly know that reincarnation is true. Therefore, it requires blind faith, which I'm not keen on. Since believe means to "accept it as truth", I cannot believe that reincarnation exists. It MAY be true, but there's no way to know, therefore I do not accept it as truth that reincarnation exists.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Buddhism. I absolutely love the enlightenment aspect, and that there are no miracles involved. It's not trail mix though, you can't just pick the pieces you like. Therefore, I cannot call myself a Buddhist as much as I like the concept of achieving ultimate nirvana.

My source: http://www.gotquestions.org/buddhism.html

As a nonBuddhist um, Buddhist myself, you can cherry pick the trail mix all you want. "Secular Buddhism" is a growing community of nonBuddhist Buddhists who are agnostic about reincarnation or outright refuse to believe it. Yet the meditate, adhere to buddhist ethics, study the texts, and so on. Neuroscience is taking meditation quite seriously and have been in the process of mapping the meditating brain on fMRI, identifying brain regions that light up, and even noting millimeter's worth of thickening in certain parts of the brain in long term meditators. If you are a life long golfer, there will be parts of your brain that will be a bit hypertrophied too, compared to a non golfer, but still. Sam Harris spent two or three years (total) meditating and has some good stuff to say about it from an atheist perspective.

You'll have to be willing to dig through religious stuff but it's not hard to identify.

Apparently, the Buddha was not a Buddhist and it's suspected by many that he would be pissed off that it became one of the world's major religions, as he frequently admonished his students to thoroughly test his teachings rather than take them on 'faith'.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply