Effective Field Theory Made Simple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Not included in this blog but required is some knowledge of thermodynamics and contour integration. Just to give a perspective on this topic, twenty years ago, EFT was found in some section of a chapter in QFT. Today, in some universities, you will find a full semester course on this subject, a testimony of how much in importance EFT has grown. In this blog I show that a quantum effective field = a classical field + 1st order quantum correction. More generally, any theory A in high energy can be broken down to a theory B in lower energy plus some correction orders. For instance, not knowing a quantum gravity theory at Planck scale ( 1019GeV) still allows us to do QFT at lower energy ( LHC at 103GeV).

Any comments would be appreciated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2014, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 06:21 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Effective Field Theory Made Simple
I got as far as...

"A functional is a function of a function..."

Then I remembered Servilius Casca words to Cassius in Julius Caesar Act I Scene II line 289.

Huh

CASSIUS: Did Cicero say any thing?
CASCA: Ay, he spoke Greek.
CASSIUS: To what effect?
CASCA: No fucking idea mate, it was Greek to me.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-06-2014, 11:47 PM
RE: Effective Field Theory Made Simple
Richard Feynman in one of his books relates a time he was asked to write a treatise on some new milestone of physics for the layman, which he began with due enthusiasm. But after several unsuccessful efforts found he couldn't do it so the layman could comprehend it. And therefore concluded that they themselves did not fully understand it, because if a concept couldn't be expressed simply, it was too vague and incomplete.

I am reminded of that episode every time I encounter something dense with argot: I have to wonder how well the subject is actually understood.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post