Effective/ineffective debate arguments ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 07:03 PM
RE: Effective/ineffective debate arguments ?
From my own experience, I'm not sure any one argument is really going to work on the average Christian. I used to be a very devout Christian dating an atheist. He tried basically every argument on me but I was confident everything I said back to him was of equal worth. Most of my arguments back at him were from the book Letters to a Skeptic which I was reading with my college bible study group at the time. I was so convinced that I was right and he was not only wrong, but insensitive.

That was several years ago, and we have long since broken up. I'm now a recently converted atheist. It took my dealing with my mother's death and moving to a place where most of the people I know are atheists and working with scientists for me to start feeling ok with entertaining some of the doubts I've always had. I read a lot of books on my own and thought a lot about everything... for years... before coming to my senses. Oddly, I'd say that my time dating that guy was when my Christian faith was the absolute strongest. I guess I have always been stubborn to a fault.

It's possible that my ex planted the seeds, but I think other factors played a much bigger role. If any of you do have single arguments that really have worked, I'd love to hear them.

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like 31:25's post
28-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Exposing the truth about the bible seems to have the most tangible results, you are citing their own evidence as evidence that they can't dismiss as a science conspiracy.

How long after Jesus death was the NT composed,
this throws them into confusion, as they all think a stenographer was jogging along by Jesus's side from birth to death.

Talk about Nicenen council and how their ignorance of their own religion means they are a terrible christian, Jesus must be so disappointed in them.
Boy does that statement get their heckles up.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
29-04-2014, 06:41 AM
(28-04-2014 07:03 PM)31:25 Wrote:  It's possible that my ex planted the seeds, but I think other factors played a much bigger role. If any of you do have single arguments that really have worked, I'd love to hear them.

That's kind of how it was for me, except the seeds were planted by a college philosophy course and an atheist roommate. I'm not sure I could say my faith was the strongest it had been at the time, but I'd certainly thought about it the most.

(28-04-2014 07:34 PM)sporehux Wrote:  How long after Jesus death was the NT composed,
this throws them into confusion, as they all think a stenographer was jogging along by Jesus's side from birth to death.

From my brief stint on a Christian forum, I can assure you that they largely believe in an entirely different scholarly consensus than we do. I think they feel the Gospel of John was totally written the disciple John (despite being the latest of the four to be written), and they feel the other three were eye-witness accounts. Cuz, reasons.

Bring up any research by linguistic experts that numerous epistles were forgeries, and all you get is "who are you going to believe: the Word of God or the word of man?".

At the end of the day, the Bible is the for real deal because it says so, and anything else must be tricks of The Deceiver.