Efficient and sustainable way to filter salt and metal ions from water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Efficient and sustainable way to filter salt and metal ions from water
https://phys.org/news/2018-02-efficient-...metal.html

Quote:With two billion people worldwide lacking access to clean and safe drinking water, joint research by Monash University, CSIRO and the University of Texas at Austin published today in Sciences Advances may offer a breakthrough new solution.

It all comes down to metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), an amazing next generation material that have the largest internal surface area of any known substance. The sponge like crystals can be used to capture, store and release chemical compounds. In this case, the salt and ions in sea water.

Dr Huacheng Zhang, Professor Huanting Wang and Associate Professor Zhe Liu and their team in the Faculty of Engineering at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, in collaboration with Dr Anita Hill of CSIRO and Professor Benny Freeman of the McKetta Department of Chemical Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin, have recently discovered that MOF membranes can mimic the filtering function, or 'ion selectivity', of organic cell membranes.

With further development, these membranes have significant potential to perform the dual functions of removing salts from seawater and separating metal ions in a highly efficient and cost effective manner, offering a revolutionary new technological approach for the water and mining industries.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
11-02-2018, 02:46 PM
RE: Efficient and sustainable way to filter salt and metal ions from water
Wonder how that would work for making maple syrup instead of a conventional reverse osmosis machine, at what kind of cost?

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Such a development is going to be pretty much necessary as numerous major city in the world will see their clear water source depleated like Cape Town in two year or Cairo and Florida in a decade or so. A cheap way to transform salt water in clear water in addition to a better management and protection of water sources will be necessary to keep us going.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
12-02-2018, 12:40 PM
I'm always amazed that this planet seemed to come around to this so slowly.
Water, water everywhere (with rising sea levels), and not a drop to drink.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...a-is-here/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2018, 12:44 PM
(12-02-2018 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm always amazed that this planet seemed to come around to this so slowly.

I was wondering, if this technology were widespread, would it have any significant effect on the sea level?

12-02-2018, 12:47 PM
(12-02-2018 12:44 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 12:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm always amazed that this planet seemed to come around to this so slowly.

I was wondering, if this technology were widespread, would it have any significant effect on the sea level?

They could probably figure out how to refill some of the depleted huge underground aquifers and it might ??

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2018, 07:51 PM
(11-02-2018 02:04 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  https://phys.org/news/2018-02-efficient-...metal.html

Quote:With two billion people worldwide lacking access to clean and safe drinking water, joint research by Monash University, CSIRO and the University of Texas at Austin published today in Sciences Advances may offer a breakthrough new solution.

It all comes down to metal-organic frameworks (MOFs), an amazing next generation material that have the largest internal surface area of any known substance. The sponge like crystals can be used to capture, store and release chemical compounds. In this case, the salt and ions in sea water.

Dr Huacheng Zhang, Professor Huanting Wang and Associate Professor Zhe Liu and their team in the Faculty of Engineering at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, in collaboration with Dr Anita Hill of CSIRO and Professor Benny Freeman of the McKetta Department of Chemical Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin, have recently discovered that MOF membranes can mimic the filtering function, or 'ion selectivity', of organic cell membranes.

With further development, these membranes have significant potential to perform the dual functions of removing salts from seawater and separating metal ions in a highly efficient and cost effective manner, offering a revolutionary new technological approach for the water and mining industries.

This is some pretty amazing stuff. There have been a lot of interesting materials developed over the past 20 years.

With all the potential this offers, though, I really hope some people are asking the necessary questions: what are the toxicity levels of MOFs, and what happenes if a bunch of them get loose in the environment -- like accidentally dumped in a stream, or something else that would never happen. Consider

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post