Ego / god... a test.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
RE: Ego / god... a test.
(10-03-2013 10:36 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I agree that bible bashing at the end would be out of line. I took religious studies in college and was absolutely astounded by the different views people had of bible meanings--thus my search for answers. I think this interpretation variation may also lead people to give god less than a 10 in their minds-but I think in a crowd they would say 10 just to be "good Christians." If this research is for your own good or to explain the results to someone at a later time, I think it is a great idea. Once it becomes about judging the participants or trying to sway their beliefs, I think you have a problem.

Yes, it's to get them thinking. Nothing aggressive.

Can I offer a techie tip?
When replying, click on 'Source' rather than 'Editor' and then look for this... [ /quote].
Otherwise it looks like you're putting words into other people's mouths (other people's posts)

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
(10-03-2013 03:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 10:36 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I agree that bible bashing at the end would be out of line. I took religious studies in college and was absolutely astounded by the different views people had of bible meanings--thus my search for answers. I think this interpretation variation may also lead people to give god less than a 10 in their minds-but I think in a crowd they would say 10 just to be "good Christians." If this research is for your own good or to explain the results to someone at a later time, I think it is a great idea. Once it becomes about judging the participants or trying to sway their beliefs, I think you have a problem.

Yes, it's to get them thinking. Nothing aggressive.

When replying, click on 'Source' rather than 'Editor' and then look for this... [ /quote].
Otherwise it looks like you're putting words into other people's mouths (other people's posts)

Thumbsup

Did I get it right this time?

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
(10-03-2013 03:18 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 03:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yes, it's to get them thinking. Nothing aggressive.

Thumbsup

Did I get it right this time?

Yup. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2013, 03:41 PM
(10-03-2013 03:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 03:18 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  Did I get it right this time?

Yup. Thumbsup
Sweet Wink I just joined yesterday...I have lots of exploring to do!

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
11-03-2013, 01:18 AM
(10-03-2013 03:41 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 03:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yup. Thumbsup
Sweet Wink I just joined yesterday...I have lots of exploring to do!

Enjoy the journey.

It won't be long before you'll be giving tips to others.

We were all newbies once.

11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
(09-03-2013 12:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A request for assistant from anyone who is feeling creative...

I was wondering if there was a non-threatening way of highlighting to believers how their god is in fact, themselves.

Dunno about a game, but think I could come up with a non-threatening Socratic dialog. ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-03-2013, 03:56 PM
(11-03-2013 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 12:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A request for assistant from anyone who is feeling creative...

I was wondering if there was a non-threatening way of highlighting to believers how their god is in fact, themselves.

Dunno about a game, but think I could come up with a non-threatening Socratic dialog. ...

All ears, dude, all ears.

Drooling

13-03-2013, 05:58 PM
(13-03-2013 03:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dunno about a game, but think I could come up with a non-threatening Socratic dialog. ...

All ears, dude, all ears.

Drooling

Must've been drunk when I posted 'cause I didn't remember that the clever bastard has already done it: Euthyphro.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-03-2013, 06:13 PM
(13-03-2013 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 03:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  All ears, dude, all ears.

Drooling

Must've been drunk when I posted 'cause I didn't remember that the clever bastard has already done it: Euthyphro.

That's cheating!

14-03-2013, 01:01 PM
(10-03-2013 12:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Any suggestions regarding the examples / questions for the 6 'moralities'?

Cheers
Honesty and truth are a big one for me- that's what led me to where I am. I suppose those would fit underneath fairness/cheating, though not sure?