Ego

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Ego
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of Ego. I've given it a lot of thought and I have opinions, but I am curious what others think.

Ego defined as:

noun/ˈēgō/
egos, plural

A person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance
- a boost to my ego

The part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity

An overly high opinion of oneself
- some major players with really big egos

(in metaphysics) A conscious thinking subject

Is an ego the person or a part from the person?

How does an ego benefit the person, or people in general?

How does the ego damage?

Can an ego be changed or managed?

If anybody has some input, I'd be happy to hear about it. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
RE: Ego
Is it confusing because you're only accounting for the ego, and not the id, super-ego and the external world that which is serves?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
10-10-2012, 09:27 PM
(10-10-2012 09:15 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Is it confusing because you're only accounting for the ego, and not the id, super-ego and the external world that which is serves?

I was going to answer specifically what I mean, but I don't want to influence or direct anyone's thoughts. Smile

Argh, and I started again now to explain.

I'll just do a super short answer: No. lol. But I am not against the inclusion of these in a response. Either way, I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

I'll put this up too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
(10-10-2012 08:54 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  The part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity.

Fancy way of saying that thing which was created by the collection of subsystems making up the id in order to arbitrate and coordinate them as needed. They apparently felt that the thing should also have the illusion of control over them. A puppet king which only rarely realizes it's just a puppet. The Great and Powerful Oz oblivious to the little man behind the curtain.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-10-2012, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 10:11 PM by PoolBoyG.)
My take on this. Ego is defined as personal justice. How you feel people should appraise you, how they approach you, etc. It determines your personal value.

Is an ego the person or a part from the person?
It's a subconscious appraisal of oneself, that the concious mind then evaluates and determines how much of it should be accepted as true.

How does an ego benefit the person, or people in general?
Ego determines self worth. What you are owed, how you should be treated, and what should be expected and demanded of you. It determines your sense of value, and the value of what you have to offer.

How does the ego damage?
If your concious understanding of oneself doesn't correspond with reality. You over value yourself, or under value yourself.

Can an ego be changed or managed?
Yes. By changing your environment where society places different values on different traits, or by divorcing OR keeping (managed) with reality of who you really are.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
11-10-2012, 06:49 AM
All I know is that I have a massive ego... similar to that of Duke Nukem.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
There is the common usage of ego, and the psychological one.

They are not the same at all.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-10-2012, 10:02 AM
It is everything you have been... and are now.... it is a representative view that you give yourself based upon your life.... an ever changing "battle" of the inside you versus the outside world (hence dualism)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
11-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Sort of caught between a rock and a hard place on posting this. Confused Oh well, it's done.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
11-10-2012, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 11:31 AM by Luminon.)
sorry no diacritics today i am writing from my kindle3.
Ego is us, our self and not really our better self. It is a sum of all our vices, illusions, desires, ambitions, most of all a false image about ourselves. It shifts like a chameleon, we expose our - the ego`s mistake and get all repentant. Yet this opposite extreme of great humility is a newly assumed disguise of the ego. Then you can even become proud of your humility and believe you`re the humblest and most righteous of all.

It is said that a man is defined by his seven vices...
The truth is, we need ego. We need it large and powerful, this is the only way to accomplish anything. The problem is, the ego is selfish and wants to do whatever it wants, not what is in your best interest. The ego must be grown, do not let people trample your ego. That is your job Smile Your job is actually to see through the ego `s disguise and to discipline it, to control it and to use it for some greater purpose.

i see poolboy summed it up really well

There is a part of personality that is not ego, that is something greater and transcendental, but that interesting and important topic can be found elsewhere in my posts and discussed another time Smile