Egor posted something pretty interesting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 01:20 AM
RE: Egor posted something pretty interesting.
Pretty sure if you scroll down you will see that, Tyler Durden,tore him a new asshole.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2012, 07:03 PM
(30-03-2012 09:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Here he describes single celled organisms and his conclusion that they have a soul.

Pretty well thought out.

What do y'all think?

I've got three things to say about this. Number one is that the video claims to show evidence of "will, choice, decision-making ability, and discerning"... but he didn't exactly make the leap to explaining how these translate to "soul". It seems that the conclusion is that because humans are assumed to have all of these traits and a soul that anything that has these traits also has a soul. This is wrong on so many levels. If a soul is defined this way, it begs the question (the soul is defined by first assuming that it has already been proven). The conclusion that these traits arise from a soul is the fallacy of the single cause. And I know there's another logical fallacy in which you try to sneak a trait into a conclusion by pairing it with another (the same fallacy behind "slow and steady wins the race") but I've forgotten it --- anyway, you can't just tag on "soul" with these other traits, even if you believe them to be present.

Point number two: Aren't animals assumed to not have souls? Why would a theist even be trying to make this argument?

Point number three: I'll credit this argument to Sam Harris, because I'm stealing it from him... to quote him directly from Letter to a Christian Nation :

Quote:But let us assume, for the moment, that every three-day-old human embryo has a soul worthy
of our moral concern. Embryos at this stage occasionally split, becoming separate people
(identical twins). Is this a case of one soul splitting into two? Two embryos sometimes fuse
into a single individual, called a chimera. You or someone you know may have developed in
this way. No doubt theologians are struggling even now to determine what becomes of the
extra human soul in such a case.
Wouldn't this occur in a greater sense to bacteria? Exactly when do they get endowed with a soul?

This whole argument is patently ridiculous.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2012, 07:36 PM
(30-03-2012 03:04 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Wait, does that mean I'm sending spiders to hell when I kill them? GOOD! Little bastards deserve it.

Nope, you are sending them to heaven where 32 virgins are squirming in their seats waiting for them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-03-2012, 10:18 PM
(31-03-2012 07:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 03:04 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Wait, does that mean I'm sending spiders to hell when I kill them? GOOD! Little bastards deserve it.

Nope, you are sending them to heaven where 32 virgins are squirming in their seats waiting for them.
The awkward moment you realize you have a new fetish.......
01-04-2012, 01:55 AM
"Soul"could relate to a cosmic interactional process within the cosmos beyond our comprehension.

Well, evolution, memes, natural selection etc from an ethical/spiritual position does not make a lot of sense either.
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
(30-03-2012 09:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Here he describes single celled organisms and his conclusion that they have a soul.

Pretty well thought out.

What do y'all think?
Since souls don't actually exist, the argument is rather pointless.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post