Egyptair flight from Paris to Cairo crashes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 10:21 PM
RE: Egyptair flight from Paris to Cairo crashes
(19-05-2016 05:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 05:00 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  The Levantine Basin, the section of the Mediterranean Sea they were searching, is 123552 square miles large. To put it in perspective, 1 square mile = 484 football fields. To say that's not a very big area is an understatement.
The size of the area honestly shouldn't matter. GPS is a technology that can pinpoint the location of something as small as a smartphone within a few meters of accuracy anywhere in the world and in any weather conditions imaginable. The fact that airplanes fly thousands of feet up in the air should only increase its effectiveness since GPS works by communicating with various satellites in Earth's orbit. The question is: Why aren't airplanes using GPS when the technology is so cheap and readily available that it has been implemented in virtually all modern smartphones? It boggles my mind.

I'm currently researching an answer to this question on the web; I'll report back later if I find a good one. Tongue

It's a pity someone on board wasn't ordering a pizza online.
They would have found that plane by now.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2016, 06:11 AM
(19-05-2016 08:06 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 08:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Probably not, if you mean that it will work as a transmitter/receiver. The black box technology uses as minimal as possible data to save memory. You would NEVER put a transmitter in that box, it would interfere with the data recording. Anything you would do on a commercial aircraft in terms of a change has consequences that cost many millions of dollars. It's a nice-to-have that would probably never happen, other than saving the GPS coordinates at the time of the disaster. Which, sadly, is of minimal use.

Well they already have those underwater beacon things which as we saw with MH370, could use some work.

The problem with MH370 is it went down in the Indian Ocean and it's a really big fucking ocean. Most maps don't do it justice. It's massive. Most maps aren't really to scale when it comes to the oceans, especially the Indian and the Pacific. They are incredibly large. And, the Indian is deep. Really, really deep. The range on a beacon is only going to be a really finite amount of distance. Cutting through the depth and the distance makes the odds of finding something in it, even with a beacon, really, really small. Especially when you're not even sure where to look.

They already found wreckage from yesterday's crash. It took under 24 hours. I'm not sure why such a big deal was made of them not finding it instantly. And, it looks like it's all broken up instead of one solid piece so it's going to take some time to find all of it. But, they most likely will find the majority.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
21-05-2016, 04:37 AM
(19-05-2016 08:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'm flying Egyptair in about 2 months Gasp

I drive on the highway every day to work and back, and people with Ontario, Florida, and New Jersey plates are common enough.

Trust me, you're a lot safer in the air. Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-05-2016, 05:11 AM
(21-05-2016 04:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 08:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'm flying Egyptair in about 2 months Gasp

I drive on the highway every day to work and back, and people with Ontario, Florida, and New Jersey plates are common enough.

My problem is that if there *is* a problem you can take it as a given that you are officially fucked. There's no pulling off to the side of the road and waiting for the AA to send a mechanic. If you're *extremely* lucky your pilot might be able to put you down safely.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-05-2016, 05:41 AM
(21-05-2016 05:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 04:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I drive on the highway every day to work and back, and people with Ontario, Florida, and New Jersey plates are common enough.

My problem is that if there *is* a problem you can take it as a given that you are officially fucked. There's no pulling off to the side of the road and waiting for the AA to send a mechanic. If you're *extremely* lucky your pilot might be able to put you down safely.

Not necessarily. I was hit last November on my motorcycle. While at a dead stop, waiting to take a left at a highway off ramp. I was hit from behind by some jackass methhead in a pickup truck. I woke up 4 hours later, wondering what the fuck I was doing in the hospital. I have no recollection of that time, even though I was both awake and talkative; according to the office on the scene anyways.

Fortunately I walked out of the hospital the next day under my own power. Later checkup gave me a clear mental bill of health too. The motorcycle was a total loss however.

21-05-2016, 05:47 AM
(21-05-2016 05:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Later checkup gave me a clear mental bill of health too.

Clearly the docs were clueless Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-05-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 11:45 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-05-2016 05:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 05:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Later checkup gave me a clear mental bill of health too.

Clearly the docs were clueless Tongue

[Image: 1.jpg]

Well, at least I didn't die. Glad to know you care...

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post