Egyptian Mass Killing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Egyptian Mass Killing
(25-11-2017 01:58 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if American terrorists are overwhelmingly right wing, gun-owning, angry, reactionary MAGA hat wearers. As long as they are terrorists. My issue is sloppy and lazy use of the word. Szuchow's link has several pages of criteria for identifying what is in fact a terrorist act. Not just "Brown people who kill people are often labeled terrorists, therefore in the interest of fairness any white people who kill people must be labeled terrorists as well."

A lot of the words in the dictionary (book with lots of words) have more than one meaning. And that includes nuances.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2017, 02:31 PM
(25-11-2017 02:23 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 01:58 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if American terrorists are overwhelmingly right wing, gun-owning, angry, reactionary MAGA hat wearers. As long as they are terrorists. My issue is sloppy and lazy use of the word. Szuchow's link has several pages of criteria for identifying what is in fact a terrorist act. Not just "Brown people who kill people are often labeled terrorists, therefore in the interest of fairness any white people who kill people must be labeled terrorists as well."

A lot of the words in the dictionary (book with lots of words) have more than one meaning. And that includes nuances.

"Nuance" means you're not wildly throwing the door open for "terrorism" to mean just whatever the fuck you feel like.

Find all posts by this user
25-11-2017, 02:42 PM
(25-11-2017 02:31 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 02:23 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  A lot of the words in the dictionary (book with lots of words) have more than one meaning. And that includes nuances.

"Nuance" means you're not wildly throwing the door open for "terrorism" to mean just whatever the fuck you feel like.

Yep. I glad you spotted that. Rolleyes
25-11-2017, 04:08 PM
(25-11-2017 02:31 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  "Nuance" means you're not wildly throwing the door open for "terrorism" to mean just whatever the fuck you feel like.

You'r right, we have a word for that: unlawful enemy combatant. They are the bad guy we can kill on sight without warning or asking question but who can't shoot back. It has been very useful in the last two decades.Wink

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
25-11-2017, 04:16 PM
(25-11-2017 04:08 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 02:31 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  "Nuance" means you're not wildly throwing the door open for "terrorism" to mean just whatever the fuck you feel like.

You'r right, we have a word for that: unlawful enemy combatant. They are the bad guy we can kill on sight without warning or asking question but who can't shoot back. It has been very useful in the last two decades.Wink
And, of course, he meant that we don't just limit a definition to the one narrow, circumscribed picture that fits our own personal agenda. Jerry's a smart guy, he knew that.
25-11-2017, 04:56 PM
(25-11-2017 04:16 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 04:08 PM)epronovost Wrote:  You'r right, we have a word for that: unlawful enemy combatant. They are the bad guy we can kill on sight without warning or asking question but who can't shoot back. It has been very useful in the last two decades.Wink
And, of course, he meant that we don't just limit a definition to the one narrow, circumscribed picture that fits our own personal agenda. Jerry's a smart guy, he knew that.

Is that what he meant? I thought he was showing disdain for the expansion of a word waaaay beyond what it actually means, particularly in the service of deceptive purposes. It allows for abuse, such as the kind he described. Epronovost, could you clear this up for us?

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
25-11-2017, 05:12 PM
(25-11-2017 04:08 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

That' s three words, not one.

And you' re trusting the Bush administration who invented it, and legitimizing it's use, by using it.

Terrorism isn't an ideology. It' s a combat tactic.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
25-11-2017, 05:31 PM
(25-11-2017 04:56 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 04:16 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And, of course, he meant that we don't just limit a definition to the one narrow, circumscribed picture that fits our own personal agenda. Jerry's a smart guy, he knew that.

Is that what he meant? I thought he was showing disdain for the expansion of a word waaaay beyond what it actually means, particularly in the service of deceptive purposes. It allows for abuse, such as the kind he described. Epronovost, could you clear this up for us?
One can be deceptive by withholding information as well as by giving it. Like, for example, the fact that "terrorist" doesn't have a single, restricted and politically biased meaning. But you knew that.
25-11-2017, 05:41 PM
(25-11-2017 05:31 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 04:56 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Is that what he meant? I thought he was showing disdain for the expansion of a word waaaay beyond what it actually means, particularly in the service of deceptive purposes. It allows for abuse, such as the kind he described. Epronovost, could you clear this up for us?
One can be deceptive by withholding information as well as by giving it. Like, for example, the fact that "terrorist" doesn't have a single, restricted and politically biased meaning. But you knew that.

What I said was: "It's not a perfect formula because human behavior is complex and people do things for more than one reason but in general the more evidence there is that a violent act is carried out in support of larger political goals the more confidently we can use the term "terrorism."" That's different than saying any time somebody kills somebody, especially if they're white, it's automatically terrorism. You call yourself Gawdzilla yet everything goes over your head.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
25-11-2017, 05:44 PM
(25-11-2017 05:41 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 05:31 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  One can be deceptive by withholding information as well as by giving it. Like, for example, the fact that "terrorist" doesn't have a single, restricted and politically biased meaning. But you knew that.

What I said was: "It's not a perfect formula because human behavior is complex and people do things for more than one reason but in general the more evidence there is that a violent act is carried out in support of larger political goals the more confidently we can use the term "terrorism."" That's different than saying any time somebody kills somebody, especially if they're white, it's automatically terrorism. You call yourself Gawdzilla yet everything goes over your head.
Sorry, I dismiss that without comment. Wasn't worth the typing.