Egyptian Mass Killing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2017, 05:48 PM
RE: Egyptian Mass Killing
(25-11-2017 05:44 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 05:41 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What I said was: "It's not a perfect formula because human behavior is complex and people do things for more than one reason but in general the more evidence there is that a violent act is carried out in support of larger political goals the more confidently we can use the term "terrorism."" That's different than saying any time somebody kills somebody, especially if they're white, it's automatically terrorism. You call yourself Gawdzilla yet everything goes over your head.
Sorry, I dismiss that without comment. Wasn't worth the typing.

It's okay. We all take our lumps here and there.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2017, 06:04 PM
You took yours like a man. Well done.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2017, 09:12 PM
(25-11-2017 01:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 12:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I didn't make any claim. Why are you asking me to support a claim you're imputing?

Rev made a claim. It's his responsibility to back it up.

I know enough liberal gun-owners, my mother's husband included, not to mention plenty of Austinites who regularly vote Dem. I live in a fairly liberal part of Texas, and even so, gun-owners are everywhere.

Non sequitur. Who buys guns after a massacre has absolutely no bearing on the shooter's political views.

Yes, we know, rabid gun-owners exist.

None of your screed addresses the request for evidence I made, to support the claim that these mass shootings are being conducted by right-wingers. Your points have no bearing on the shooters' motivations or political aims. It follows that your points do not address the question of whether any or most or all of these shootings are terrorism.

We simply have no idea in the Las Vegas shooting. It seems reasonable to suppose that the Texas shooter was conservative given his background, but it seems clear that his motive was personal and not political. Dylan Roof's mass-murder was certainly terrorism, and he was certainly right-wing, so that's one. The fact that the Feds didn't refer to it as terror is obnoxious to me as well.

But any claim that these are mostly the result of right-wing nuts needs support. I'm amenable to evidence. Got any?
Here is relevant link.

From nearly end of page: Between 1970 and 2011, 32 percent of the perpetrator groups were motivated by ethnonationalist/separatist agendas, 28 percent were motivated by single issues, such as animal rights or opposition to war, and seven percent were motivated by religious beliefs. In addition, 11 percent of the perpetrator groups were classified as extreme right-wing, and 22 percent were categorized as extreme left-wing. [from study made by National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism – called ”Profiles of Perpetrators of Terrorism in the United States].

Thank you.
25-11-2017, 09:15 PM
(25-11-2017 02:23 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 01:58 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if American terrorists are overwhelmingly right wing, gun-owning, angry, reactionary MAGA hat wearers. As long as they are terrorists. My issue is sloppy and lazy use of the word. Szuchow's link has several pages of criteria for identifying what is in fact a terrorist act. Not just "Brown people who kill people are often labeled terrorists, therefore in the interest of fairness any white people who kill people must be labeled terrorists as well."

A lot of the words in the dictionary (book with lots of words) have more than one meaning. And that includes nuances.

Have you considered the nuance of, you know, having an objective beyond simple mayhem? Because that is what differentiates terrorism from mass murder.

Go on now, turn that thinker on. You can do it!

Dumbfuck.
25-11-2017, 09:38 PM
I was under the impression that an act of terrorism included the element of a political/religious agenda. If the term "terrorism" is to be broadened to include any act where someone is terrorized, then every threat of violence or act of violence, even spousal abuse, should also be considered terrorism.

How watered down do we want to take this term to?
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post
25-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:but the White House press secretary,

Is a fucking idiot. Comes from working for the Whiny Little Bitch, I guess.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!