Egyptian Salafist Demands the Destruction of the Sphinx and Giza Pyramids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2012, 09:43 AM
RE: Egyptian Salafist Demands the Destruction of the Sphinx and Giza Pyramids
Hey, Chas.

In other news, the sky is falling Cool

No one lives in a vacuum. This crank can be as loud-mouthed as he wants. He could even become the dictatorial leader of Egypt. But there are other forces at work both at home and abroad that he has to contend with. The odds of the pyramids being destroyed by this guy are infinitesimally small. So why worry about it and more importantly, why sound the alarm like there is an imminent threat? It's Chicken Little stuff.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2012, 10:09 AM
(17-11-2012 09:43 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

In other news, the sky is falling Cool

No one lives in a vacuum. This crank can be as loud-mouthed as he wants. He could even become the dictatorial leader of Egypt. But there are other forces at work both at home and abroad that he has to contend with. The odds of the pyramids being destroyed by this guy are infinitesimally small. So why worry about it and more importantly, why sound the alarm like there is an imminent threat? It's Chicken Little stuff.

Matt
I'm not sounding an alarm or claiming the sky is falling. I am merely pointing out that there are people who are this deranged. People exist who would actually carry this out if they had the power.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Just between us and the world.....odds have never mattered to the Taliban. Ever.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
17-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Hey, Chas.

There's people that would do all kinds of crazy shit had they the power. Imagine Fred Phelps with power <vomits>. The question is, will they get enough power to do what they want. In this case, not bloody likely.

Hey, ML.

What does the Taliban have to do with Egypt?

Matt
17-11-2012, 06:07 PM
(17-11-2012 04:00 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

There's people that would do all kinds of crazy shit had they the power. Imagine Fred Phelps with power . The question is, will they get enough power to do what they want. In this case, not bloody likely.

I don't share your sang froid. Look at the recent history across Africa and the Middle East. Some pretty surprising people have taken power at various places and times.

Again, all I am saying is that these people exist, and we should always be wary of them. Your belief that one of these nutters couldn't gain power is belied by history.

17-11-2012, 11:41 PM
(17-11-2012 04:00 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, ML.

What does the Taliban have to do with Egypt?
Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

18-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Hey, ML.

Can't say that I am.

Hey, Chas.

Well of course crazy people exist. But they don't come into power just cuz and they don't get to act with impunity just cuz. There are all manner of forces at work both in their installation and in the limitation of their power. This crank is some backwoods lunatic that poses exactly no threat to anyone. So sure, if lunatics amass enough power to operate with impunity, then we can be afraid that they will, but this guy is about as close to that as NASA is to flying to Alpha Centauri. My lack of stress isn't belied by history, it is nested in the reality of today. 

In terms of Africa and the Middle East, it's not a shock when these things happen. The conditions are perfect. The conditions that allowed a madman like Mugabe to slowly destroy Zimbabwe are entirely different than the conditions that exist in Egypt. The conditions in which the Taliban destroyed those statues are entirely different than the conditions in Egypt.

I'm just saying that there is a difference between a legitimate threat and posturing.

Matt
18-11-2012, 08:56 AM
(18-11-2012 08:07 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, ML.

Can't say that I am.

Hey, Chas.

Well of course crazy people exist. But they don't come into power just cuz and they don't get to act with impunity just cuz. There are all manner of forces at work both in their installation and in the limitation of their power. This crank is some backwoods lunatic that poses exactly no threat to anyone. So sure, if lunatics amass enough power to operate with impunity, then we can be afraid that they will, but this guy is about as close to that as NASA is to flying to Alpha Centauri. My lack of stress isn't belied by history, it is nested in the reality of today.

In terms of Africa and the Middle East, it's not a shock when these things happen. The conditions are perfect. The conditions that allowed a madman like Mugabe to slowly destroy Zimbabwe are entirely different than the conditions that exist in Egypt. The conditions in which the Taliban destroyed those statues are entirely different than the conditions in Egypt.

I'm just saying that there is a difference between a legitimate threat and posturing.

Matt

Our (collective) track record of predicting future events is not very good; which, again, is why I do not share your faith that it is only posturing.

18-11-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm at this point just making him repeat himself on purpose....

19-11-2012, 04:11 AM
(16-11-2012 12:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 08:54 PM)Ghost Wrote:  This Salafist can beat his chest all he wants, this isn't happening. No joke, do you have any idea what kind of revenue these sites generate for Egypt? Something about bullshit walks...

Matt

Are you going to make me repeat myself sir?

For I dare say, my point on the first page is still valid.

Let's not forget that if those misguided morons want a structure to fall, they will bring it down themselves. Why legally do it when they can get some extremist willing to die to wear a bomb into the structure and self detonate? It is why the governments of the world are scared shitless of them and why they need to be wiped out.