Egyptian paganism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2016, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2016 02:55 AM by Deltabravo.)
RE: Egyptian paganism
(15-08-2016 03:54 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 10:13 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  "a lot of shit"...

1. Christianity is a Roman Hellenistic work
2. Serapis was a cult spread by the Romans

"scholarly EVIDENCE"

1. from Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiani...philosophy

Christian assimilation of Hellenic philosophy was anticipated by Philo and other Greek-speaking Alexandrian Jews. Philo's blend of Judaism, Platonism, and Stoicism strongly influenced Christian Alexandrian writers like Origen and Clement of Alexandria, as well as, in the Latin world, Ambrose of Milan.

One early Christian writer of the 2nd and early 3rd century, Clement of Alexandria, demonstrated Greek thought in writing,

"Philosophy has been given to the Greeks as their own kind of Covenant, their foundation for the philosophy of Christ ... the philosophy of the Greeks ... contains the basic elements of that genuine and perfect knowledge which is higher than human ... even upon those spiritual objects." (Miscellanies 6. 8)

The Church historian Eusebius suggested, essentially, in his preparation for the Gospel that Greek philosophy, although in his view derivative, was concordant with Hebrew notions. Augustine of Hippo, who ultimately systematized Christian philosophy, wrote in the 4th and early 5th century,

But when I read those books of the Platonists I was taught by them to seek incorporeal truth, so I saw your 'invisible things, understood by the things that are made' (Confessions 7. 20).

John Burnet (1892) noted[1]

The Neoplatonists were quite justified in regarding themselves as the spiritual heirs of Pythagoras; and, in their hands, philosophy ceased to exist as such, and became theology. And this tendency was at work all along; hardly a single Greek philosopher was wholly uninfluenced by it. In later days, Apollonios of Tyana showed in practice what this sort of thing must ultimately lead to. The theurgy and thaumaturgy of the late Greek schools were only the fruit of the seed sown by the generation which immediately preceded the Persian War.Commentary from Sir William Smith, Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology (1870, p. 620).[2]

One, or unity, is the essence of number, or absolute number. As absolute number it is the origin of all numbers, and so of all things. (According to another passage of Aristotle, Met. xii. 6. p. 1080, b. 7. number is produced) This original unity they also termed God (Ritter, Gesch. der FML vol. i. p. 389). These propositions, however, would, taken alone, give but a very partial idea of the Pythagorean system. A most important part is played in it by the ideas of limit, and the unlimited. They are, in fact, the fundamental ideas of the whole. One of the first declarations in the work of Philolaus was, that all things in the universe result from a combination of the unlimited and the limiting; for if all things had been unlimited, nothing could have been the object of cognizance.
It was not until the fusion of Platonic and Aristotelian theology with Christianity that the concepts of strict omnipotence, omniscience, or benevolence became commonplace. The Platonic Theory of Forms had an enormous influence on Hellenic Christian views of God. In those philosophies, Forms were the ideals of every object in the physical world, and objects in the physical world were merely shadows of those perfect forms. Platonic philosophers were able to theorize about the forms by looking at objects in the material world, and imagining what the "Perfect" tree, or "Perfect" man would be. The Aristotelian view of God grew from these Platonic roots, arguing that God was the Infinite, or the Unmoved mover.

Hellenic Christians and their medieval successors then applied this Form-based philosophy to the Christian God. Philosophers took all the things that they considered good, Power, Love, Knowledge and Size, and posited that God was "infinite" in all these respects. They then concluded that God was omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnibenevolent. Since God was perfect, any change would make him less than perfect, so they asserted that God was unchanging, or immutable.

2. Serapis (Σέραπις, Attic/Ionian Greek) or Sarapis (Σάραπις, Doric Greek) is a Graeco-Egyptian god. The cult of Serapis was introduced during the 3rd century BC on the orders of Ptolemy I of Egypt[1] as a means to unify the Greeks and Egyptians in his realm. The god was depicted as Greek in appearance, but with Egyptian trappings, and combined iconography from a great many cults, signifying both abundance and resurrection. A serapeum (Greek serapeion) was any temple or religious precinct devoted to Serapis. The cultus of Serapis was spread as a matter of deliberate policy by the Ptolemaic kings, who also built an immense serapeum in Alexandria.

However, there is evidence which implies that cult of Serapis existed before the Ptolemies came to power in Alexandria – a temple of Sarapis (or Roman Serapis) in Egypt is mentioned in 323 BC by both Plutarch (Life of Alexander, 76) and Arrian (Anabasis, VII, 26, 2). The common assertion that Ptolemy "created" the deity is derived from sources which describe him erecting a statue of Sarapis in Alexandria: this statue enriched the texture of the Sarapis conception by portraying him in both Egyptian and Greek style.[2] Though Ptolemy I may have created the cult of Sarapis and endorsed him as a patron of the Ptolemaic dynasty and Alexandria, Sarapis was a syncretistic deity derived from the worship of the Egyptian Osiris and Apis (Osiris + Apis = Oserapis/Sarapis)[3] and also gained attributes from other deities, such as chthonic powers linked to the Greek Hades and Demeter, and benevolence linked to Dionysus.

Serapis continued to increase in popularity during the Roman period. Wiki

and...

The cult of Serapis was to have sweeping success throughout Greece and Asia Minor, especially in Rome, where it became the most popular religion. There was a Serapis temple in Rome as early as 105 BC. Initiation into the Serapis cult included the rite of baptism, and Sir Alan Gardiner, the British Egyptologist, argued in the Journal of Egyptian Archaeology in 1950 that Egyptian baptism should be seen as analogous to Christian baptism, of which he commented: "In both cases a symbolic cleansing by means of water serves as initiation into a properly legitimated religious life." The cults of Serapis and Isis did not merely survive the emergence of Christianity, but in the 2nd century AD actually increased in popularity. Serapis and Christ existed side-by-side and were frequently seen as interchangeable. Some early Christians made no distinction between Christ and Serapis and frequently worshipped both, while paintings of Isis with her son Horus became identified by early Christians as portraits of Mary with her son Jesus. The rite of baptism, part of the initiation ceremony of the Serapis cult, was also adopted by the Church as part of its initiation ceremony.

In AD 134, after a visit to Alexandria, the Emperor Hadrian wrote a letter to his elderly brother-in-law, Servianus, in which he commented: "So you praise Egypt, my very dear Servianus! I know the land from top to bottom . . . In it the worshippers of Serapis are Christians, and those who call themselves Bishops of Christ pay their vows to Serapis . . . Whenever the patriarch himself comes to Egypt he is made to worship Serapis by some and Christ by others.

"http://dwij.org/forum/amarna/8_serapis_and_christianity.htm Ahmed Osman Historian, lecturer, researcher and author, Ahmed Osman is a British Egyptologist born in Cairo His four in-depth books clarifying the history of the Bible and Egypt are: Stranger in the Valley of the Kings (1987) - Moses: Pharaoh of Egypt (1990) - The House of the Messiah (1992) - Out of Egypt (1998)

Bucky...seriously...

You say you are a bible scholar.

PFFFTHAHAHAHA!!! Laugh out load

That reads just like Manley P. Hall woo!!!!

All of what I posted on Chistianity as from wiki which has strict policies about citing peer reviewed work. As opposed to your quote from Jackass the Movie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2016, 01:55 AM
Engage on an intellectual level instead of calling me names. Grow up. Act your age not like a six year old with a filthy mouth and inflated ego. Or just get the hell off my threads and leave me alone.

I grew up surrounded by family who studied at Oxford. No one with an ounce of scholastic integrity writes the way you do. You claim to be some kind of Einstein while at the same time wanting to put the stud back into bible studies. What is that? The sort of mind numbing arrogant self preening one expects of a surfer on skunk not a PhD candidate. You are a big hit for yourself but you add nothing to any debate here. You just show your self up as being a narcissistic creep.
20-08-2016, 02:17 AM
(14-08-2016 12:19 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 08:37 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Yeah right. It's.like someone saying that identical office blocks built in Chicago and Detroit just happen to look the same and the technology arose independently because the places are a few hundred miles apart. Lol

Only you buy your theory. The rest of the planet accepts that Abraham is the patriarch of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Why body swerve the question I asked?

All historians assert that the Jewish people were in Egypt. So which Phallic God is Yahweh? Ancients saw all male gods as phallic impregnators.

I am making the point that the religions of that era and place had a central God who create with his Phallus. Moderns covered up this in Egypt by defacing monuments and self censoring their reports out of Victorian prudery. Yahweh, or God created man in his own image so the Jewish God is like Jupiter in the painting but maybe without the fish tail. That has to be right.

I've read the stuff about the Islamic moon God but all it is saying is the inventors the Koran chose Allah as name for Yahweh or God. They only gave an existing religion a new book. They didn't create a new religious culture. They just piggybacked their new book onto an existing religion for those who had not converted to Christianity and then forced it on everyone.

The point I.am.making is that the Jewish religion into which Jesus is born isn't Hellenistic. It is pagan Egyptian so Judaism in that time must have resembled Egyptian Paganism and God was o me or other of the phallic gods since he created man in his image and shagged Mary just as Jupiter shagged Olympius.

The Egyptians believed in sex as an ultimate good and in sex in the afterlife which Islam accepts as well so in that respect Islam follows in an Egyptian tradition and Judaism came out of Egypt. it seems Bucky that you want to isolate Judaism from this worldwide view of gods. It's not unique though.

My main concern is that in all this debunking of religions there is little mention here of real history which suggests an old civilization which had a fertility religion and a fertility God and built little mountains wherever they went as monuments to their gods and not as burial chambers alone. What the Romans do, having moved towards a more secular, rational world view in the late Republic, is to reinvent this old Phallic religion as Hellenistic by grabbing a figure called Jesus and turning him into the protagonist of a Hellenistic religion which one might say, "saved" the world from a barbaric pagan religion in which the rulers used sex to link themselves to god and impose their will (and have a good time). Given the location of this religion at the geo-political centerfield the.world these rulers were also fabulously wealthy so they built pyramids.as public works projects to keep people busy and in employment.

I am not a scholar as such, but I do read a lot of stuff from here and there. I have recently been reading quite often that historians find no evidence that the Jews were ever even in Egypt, and that that only is seen in the Bible, no where else.

Yes. There is no evidence that the religion outlined in the New Testament into which Jesus was born was Judaism. The Rabbis were preaching ... what? What did the people believe in? Ancient religions were all phallic celestial fertility cults which gave the priests and rulers license to have sex with whoever and whenever regardless of age.

Jew didn't come from Egypt, so we now are told. they came from Canaan. Josephus was wrong because he said the Jews came from Caanan? So he was right. The Jews were from lower Armenia which is where Sanliurfa, Saintly Ur, is, which is where the Old Testament says Abraham came from. So the Jews were Ar Men or Armenians which is what Josephus said.

And this is where we now find ancient buried fertility religion sites which are only now being studied. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/go...-83613665/
20-08-2016, 02:21 AM
Bucky. If you are confident of how you relate to people here then why don't you self report the full text of your base, insulting and ignorant posts to your department head and see if he thinks you represent Harvard in a favourable way. I am getting to the point where if you don't and you continue to abuse me with vivacious filthy remarks I will think.about doing it myself. I have never heard an academic speak the way you do. You are a disgrace.
20-08-2016, 02:28 AM
So Bucky. Christianity was seen in the day as the same as Serapis worship. Say something!
20-08-2016, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2016 02:56 AM by Deltabravo.)
(13-08-2016 01:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sumerian monument building developed separately from Egyptian pyramid building. Both can be individually and separately traced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggurat
The failures of Egyptian pyramid building, and the dates for the attempts/engineering mistakes, are known.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pyrami...eline.html

Islam was not an Abrahamic religion. It developed directly from the Arabic moon-god cult. It's inventors claimed that Yahweh was the same as Allah, (which was a common practice of early Islam, ... as long as the newly encountered theist system was monotheistic, they claimed the new god as "just another name for Allah"). In fact that is totally false. Allah developed from the god Sin, (which is why some Muslims get so mad when the "Satanic Verses are brought up .... the 3 divine daughters of Sin are the same 3 divine daughters named in the Satanic Verses as the daughters of Allah), and throughout the Hebrew texts, the Hebrews we told to stop messing with the worship of the rival god. They have different origins in Babylonian mythology. Sin and Yahweh were (mythic) brothers, and sons of El Elyon.

You mock me for saying that similar stone technology show something about civilizations being connected. Here is someone else you can throw insults at http://beforetheegyptians.com/index.ht

And did you know that the area you now say the Jews were from is still called "Sham" which makes the inhabitants Shamites. The Egyptians are also known as Khem. Which is the same word pronounced slightly differently. khem is just a way of saying "sum" as in Sumerian. They are the same culture and if you read Turkish which is the language spoken in what was Armenia then you would know it is the same language as Sumerian because it has an identical agglutinative structure. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipto...ipto01.htm

It's just a continuation of the same culture and civilization on the Nile delta. Which was invaded by sea many times by invaders from neighbouring areas like Armenia and Sham. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilad_al-Sham
20-08-2016, 03:07 AM
This link says that Ur was in Sumerian or Shinar which is Armenia or Syria or Caanan. They are all the same. Abraham was an Aryan and Judaism is no different from all other creeds which preach descent from the original Aryan people. http://www.spiritandtruthministries.org/...dants.html
20-08-2016, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2016 04:31 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-08-2016 02:21 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Bucky. If you are confident of how you relate to people here then why don't you self report the full text of your base, insulting and ignorant posts to your department head and see if he thinks you represent Harvard in a favourable way. I am getting to the point where if you don't and you continue to abuse me with vivacious filthy remarks I will think.about doing it myself. I have never heard an academic speak the way you do. You are a disgrace.

You do that. You also might read the forum rules.
Thanks for the threat. Bye bye.

Idiot. You perceive anything that refutes your constant bullshit as a "viscous filthy remark".
Where you walk your dog and where you grew up has absolutely NOTHING to do with the utter idiotic nonsense you spew, constantly.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Not a threat Bud. I suggested you self report. Or are you as gutless an as you are a fraud go eff yourself you odious creep
20-08-2016, 06:56 AM
You know nothing about life and your ideas on religion are pedestrian and boring.

I know what life in a Muslim society is like and its nothing like living amongst followers of a Moon Cult you fecking moron.