Ehrman's new book : "How Jesus Became a God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Ehrman's new book : "How Jesus Became a God"
Interviewed today, this was interesting, with Gross and Ehrman, yet frustrating. A few things I disagree with, and some questions (ie the notion of equality with Yahweh would have been unthinkable for a Jew, and "divine status" in no way meant "equality" in Hebrew culture.) Nevertheless, it's great it's coming out just at Easter.
http://www.npr.org/2014/04/07/300246095/...become-one

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: Ehrman's new book : "How Jesus Became a God"
(07-04-2014 08:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Interviewed today, this was interesting, with Gross and Ehrman, yet frustrating. A few things I disagree with, and some questions (ie the notion of equality with Yahweh would have been unthinkable for a Jew, and "divine status" in no way meant "equality" in Hebrew culture.) Nevertheless, it's great it's coming out just at Easter.
http://www.npr.org/2014/04/07/300246095/...become-one
thanks for posting this...I'll have to read it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm about halfway through. He could be a little less dry, but he does bring up a lot of interesting stuff to think about, such as the contradictory views of Jesus in the bible (as far as was he god or not). As is usual with his work, the former Christian in him does show up occasionally. But worth a read so far.
[+] 1 user Likes dogerdog's post
14-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I will read it later.

Having read all the ancient texts years ago and various other histories, frankly I find books on Jesus a bore. I never found a damned thing that would lead me to believe for a second he even existed. And the various cultural expressions such as Turning water into wine, i.e. a youth becoming a man, are always ignored.

I recall when I was an administrator at ##/663//#+++ forum this moron approached us with his wacky idea that Jesus was a Roman creation attributed to the Flavians. I debunked it in two minutes!!!

Now it is a freaking book!!!!

Even Seth devoted a bloody podcast to it.

Does nobody read the Romans????

If the Flavians did it, how come Julian had no clue?

Is everybody as thick as Barbara Theiring????

Some days it is hard being fabulously well read. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-04-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 11:21 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(14-04-2014 10:13 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I will read it later.

Having read all the ancient texts years ago and various other histories, frankly I find books on Jesus a bore. I never found a damned thing that would lead me to believe for a second he even existed. And the various cultural expressions such as Turning water into wine, i.e. a youth becoming a man, are always ignored.

I recall when I was an administrator at ##/663//#+++ forum this moron approached us with his wacky idea that Jesus was a Roman creation attributed to the Flavians. I debunked it in two minutes!!!

Now it is a freaking book!!!!

Even Seth devoted a bloody podcast to it.

Does nobody read the Romans????

If the Flavians did it, how come Julian had no clue?

Is everybody as thick as Barbara Theiring????

Some days it is hard being fabulously well read. Big Grin

Hi Banjo.

I assume you're referring to Atwill's book.

I would like to hear your 2 minute debunking.

Julian was a fourth century emperor. Please explain why you think he would have had to know about the what the Flavians got up to.

PS. What part of Australia do you live in? I'm on the Sunshine Coast
15-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Flavius Claudius Julianus.

To be honest I am tired of debating theists and it probably shows in my posts. I have been doing it for nearly thirty years and am on the tail of a five year break.

When I am over this being over it, I may write loads of threads. Not now though.

Like I said, nobody seems to read the Romans. Julian was a Flavian. Read his books. Had he known about this important aspect of his family history he would have written it. And let us not forget, Roman Patrician families never forgot their histories.

That idiot came to us going "LOOK LOOK LOOK" and people were willing to believe. I sent him packing. A few years later the book comes out.

What a joke.

Also, I am incredibly tired having nearly died last week. Please wait until I recover.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-04-2014, 12:57 AM
(15-04-2014 12:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Flavius Claudius Julianus.

To be honest I am tired of debating theists and it probably shows in my posts. I have been doing it for nearly thirty years and am on the tail of a five year break.

When I am over this being over it, I may write loads of threads. Not now though.

Like I said, nobody seems to read the Romans. Julian was a Flavian. Read his books. Had he known about this important aspect of his family history he would have written it. And let us not forget, Roman Patrician families never forgot their histories.

That idiot came to us going "LOOK LOOK LOOK" and people were willing to believe. I sent him packing. A few years later the book comes out.

What a joke.

Also, I am incredibly tired having nearly died last week. Please wait until I recover.

Ok mate, really sorry to hear you are unwell. Let's drop the topic.