Eid at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Eid at work
So at my workplace, in my department, there is a huge Arabic team.
Now this work place, by it's very nature, is a multi cultural and usually really everybody gets along. My department is about 200 people big and a big part of that is Arabic.

As we know, the past month or so was Ramadan where the bigger part of our Arabic team was fasting. They invited people on two days to fast with them for a day to learn about the culture etc. They would meet in the evening and talk and have a traditional food (you know when the sun is down bla).
Anyway I found it silly because I am happy to be taught Arabic culture but I see no reason to be hungry for a day because of it. I am happy to sit down with them and have them tell me about their culture and how culture and faith go pretty much hand in hand for them etc. No issues with that really.

Well Just a few minutes ago I went downstairs to get a sandwich and I saw that there was a huge setup and the whole Arabic team was there so I asked one of them, passing by with some food, what is happening. And she explained they are celebrating Eid which is after Ramadan and they have nice traditional deserts and so on.

She invited me to come with her and be therem join the party etc.
I get that she wanted to be nice and I know she meant her invitation, she likes me, and I understand that this day is important for her but I just would feel so in the wrong place. Most of my non-muslim coworkers actually went just for the cultural aspect, for the food, for photos, and whatnot. But I am A) not a very social person and B) I would feel very weird.

Am I not completely out of place if I join a celebration where I am against the reason (religion) for the celebration so deeply?
That aside, in my opinion religion has no place at work. If I decide to celebrate the FSM, I can do that at home... dunno....

Dunno if I single myself out for no reason or if I am right. (I am not the only one who didn't join, but out of 200 people, only me and another 6 or 7 stayed away from that. So dunno what to think...
meh

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 09:24 AM
RE: Eid at work
(07-07-2016 08:52 AM)Leela Wrote:  So at my workplace, in my department, there is a huge Arabic team.
Now this work place, by it's very nature, is a multi cultural and usually really everybody gets along. My department is about 200 people big and a big part of that is Arabic.

As we know, the past month or so was Ramadan where the bigger part of our Arabic team was fasting. They invited people on two days to fast with them for a day to learn about the culture etc. They would meet in the evening and talk and have a traditional food (you know when the sun is down bla).
Anyway I found it silly because I am happy to be taught Arabic culture but I see no reason to be hungry for a day because of it. I am happy to sit down with them and have them tell me about their culture and how culture and faith go pretty much hand in hand for them etc. No issues with that really.

Well Just a few minutes ago I went downstairs to get a sandwich and I saw that there was a huge setup and the whole Arabic team was there so I asked one of them, passing by with some food, what is happening. And she explained they are celebrating Eid which is after Ramadan and they have nice traditional deserts and so on.

She invited me to come with her and be therem join the party etc.
I get that she wanted to be nice and I know she meant her invitation, she likes me, and I understand that this day is important for her but I just would feel so in the wrong place. Most of my non-muslim coworkers actually went just for the cultural aspect, for the food, for photos, and whatnot. But I am A) not a very social person and B) I would feel very weird.

Am I not completely out of place if I join a celebration where I am against the reason (religion) for the celebration so deeply?
That aside, in my opinion religion has no place at work. If I decide to celebrate the FSM, I can do that at home... dunno....

Dunno if I single myself out for no reason or if I am right. (I am not the only one who didn't join, but out of 200 people, only me and another 6 or 7 stayed away from that. So dunno what to think...
meh

Given that it is understood that you're not of the religion, and that your presence there would be educational -- learning about the culture -- and a lot of other people would be there for the same reason, you would not be out of place there.

I'm with you about not being social, that's a perfectly good reason not to go. So is being uncomfortable about the religion.

But IMO this isn't crossing the religion-at-work boundary. This is less like some bible-thumper hollering Christ at you when you try to get lunch, and more like someone inviting you to their Christmas party. You're perfectly free to say no, but they haven't committed some gross violation by asking. (If the same person gets aggressive about it, or insults you for saying no, or so on, that might be a problem. But just asking is fine.)
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
07-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Being asked to attend someone else's religious ceremony has about the same rules as being asked to go to bed with them.....

You are NOT required to go if you're not interested -- and they're a ginormous knob if they try to pressure you into it....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-07-2016, 10:36 AM
I accept any excuse for free food! But then I can remember times as a kid when one can of beans is what momma had for 3 kids and herself for the day.
[+] 5 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
07-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Of course I wasn't there but the invitation seems benign enough to me. I probably would have declined myself but that doesn't mean others shouldn't go. We have affinity group meetings / fairs in my workplace. Voluntary to go, join. It doesn't bother me one bit. I am only disappointed the one I actually could identify with (not just support) was the working dad's group which fizzled out.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
07-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Any excuse to stop working to eat food and get paid for it. I'm all in favor of that.

I don't know much about Eid Mubarak, but it seems like a return to normal eating habits.

Sounds good to me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
07-07-2016, 01:49 PM
I agree, I didn't feel violated by being asked if I want to come and attend. I just don't feel that religious celebrations belong in the workplace in general.

Also the fact that most non-muslims there, really just went to get free food Big Grin I get it. If it weren't a religious cause, I would have too (let's ignore the fact that I had a sandwich in my hand already at the time haha).
The fact that prevented me from going was the religious celebration part.
I see a difference between "Here I let you have a taste of our traditional food. Here is why we eat it that and blablabla" and "Come celebrate this religious thing with us and also you can have a taste of this traditional food."

I would decline a religiously based Christmas party at work just the same and I have done so in the past while I went to Christmas parties at work that were just about being friends and having a good time. On the other hand, I am happy to come to a bake sale that collects money for an animal shelter, which recently also happened at work and I went.

I wouldn't call myself an activist against religion and I am not very outspoken about my atheism either because I don't feel the need to be, but I feel that by participating such events, I would be supporting them in a way.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
07-07-2016, 02:54 PM
You should have gone Smile

[Image: 08ZslrZ.jpg]

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2016, 03:16 PM
I've been to one of those parties. Great food, friendly people and a terrific belly dancer (no, this wasn't at work). You didn't even have to be invited; the wife and I were taking our newborn son for a walk and almost literally got pulled into the house. I've been looking for Muslims ever since, trying for another invite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
07-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Being an atheist, I was just thinking what I might say if a large group of Muslims asked what my religion was and here is what I came up with.

"Allah only communicates with muslims who truly believe. I want each of you to ask Allah what my religion is and write it down. Then I will ask each of you to say out loud the words Allah said to you. Then we will see who is truly muslim in their heart."

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post