Eid at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2016, 10:38 PM
RE: Eid at work
(07-07-2016 01:49 PM)Leela Wrote:  I just don't feel that religious celebrations belong in the workplace in general. [...]
I feel exactly that way too. There is no place for religious celebrations—for any religion—in the workplace. I'm surprised that management would allow this to begin with; was it out of hours?

All workplaces should be absolutely secular. I would've gone home.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 11:40 PM
(07-07-2016 09:55 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Being an atheist, I was just thinking what I might say if a large group of Muslims asked what my religion was and here is what I came up with.

"Allah only communicates with muslims who truly believe. I want each of you to ask Allah what my religion is and write it down. Then I will ask each of you to say out loud the words Allah said to you. Then we will see who is truly muslim in their heart."

Smile

Easy. Your religion is clearly Infidel, because a true Muslim would never set such a test.

OP. I think it's harmless. People like to celebrate. They weren't pushy. I'd not sweat it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-07-2016, 06:03 AM
(07-07-2016 10:38 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I feel exactly that way too. There is no place for religious celebrations—for any religion—in the workplace. I'm surprised that management would allow this to begin with; was it out of hours?

All workplaces should be absolutely secular. I would've gone home.

No it was during work hours. And guess what, today they booked a meeting room and invited everybody to come and pray for some people who died in a car bombing a couple of days ago.

I threw up inside my mouth a little.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
08-07-2016, 07:07 AM
A polite "no thanks", followed by a peaceful "Hail Satan".
08-07-2016, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 08:36 AM by LadyDay.)
Eid in the muslim part of the world is just like Christmas in the christian part of the world. There's a religious connection, sure, but for most people it's just about being with friends and family, eating some good food and enjoying yourself. Perfectly secular in reality.
Being fine with a christmas party in the office, but against an eid party in the office is a terrible double standard. If you're against both in the office and don't celebrate christmas yourself, that's consistent and reasonable. Embracing one, but not the other, is bigoted. I imagine that's not what you mean or think though. Smile
Personally, I'd be happy to attend either and would enjoy both. If anybody did anything particularly religious, like pray or read their holy book, I'd excuse myself for that bit and participate in the rest. But I highly doubt anything religious would happen at an office Eid party, just like I doubt it would happen at an office Christmas party. However, while I would accept the invitation, I think it's perfectly fine to say no. Nobody should participate in anything they're not comfortable with!

I'm very sorry if I'm a little over-reactive. There's a huge problem with racism in my country at the moment, in particular recentment against taking in Syrian fugitives currently. So anything that smells the tiniest bit like recentment of other cultures is a hot button issue for me.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 4 users Like LadyDay's post
08-07-2016, 08:33 AM
(08-07-2016 06:03 AM)Leela Wrote:  No it was during work hours. And guess what, today they booked a meeting room and invited everybody to come and pray for some people who died in a car bombing a couple of days ago.

Most places of work don't pay for you to have lunch, so if their celebratory meal was considered their lunch, then it was not held during work hours.

As for a non-denominational prayer meeting (you did indicate that everybody in your office was invited) for crime victims (whose religions were presumably unknown), the room they used was presumably not required for work-related business. I presume, again, that the prayer meeting would have had to give way if your employer needed the room.

I'm an atheist, but I'm neither religious nor militant about it. There's room for everyone in my cosmology, so long as their approach to government, public health and education are not mandated by non-rational belief systems.

"I have never regarded a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." Thomas Jefferson

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
08-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Lady Day, I agree. That is why I tried to make clear that I don't attend Christmas parties either when religion is explicitly involved as opposed to christmas parties where you just come together because it's a good time to come together. I am sorry if I didn't say it clearly.

jabeady: It was at about 3:30 pm, so that is well past lunch time. I am happy that there was no peer pressure and in the end found that a few more people hadn't gone so I wasn't the only one.
Now for the prayer thing: if they wanted a moment of silence to think of the ones who died, I am absolutely for that and I would have attended that. But because they explicitly said they wanted to come together to pray, denominational or not, I didn't because religious practice should be done at home. My workplace though is VERY supportive of everybodies needs (which is great) and has a dedicated prayer room if someone wants to pray. It is small but it is available. So if they wanted to explicitly pray, they could have gone there. If they wanted to pray as a big group, they could have met after work or on the weekend for that.
I wouldn't say I am a militant atheist either really. I just don't like all the religious stuff going on at work lately. I haven't berated anybody at work for it and I have not played the wise guy by going to the management or HR about it. I just feel irritated by all of this lately.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
08-07-2016, 05:57 PM
(08-07-2016 06:03 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 10:38 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm surprised that management would allow this to begin with; was it out of hours?

No it was during work hours. And guess what, today they booked a meeting room and invited everybody to come and pray for some people who died in a car bombing a couple of days ago.

Totally unacceptable. I can only assume that the upper levels of management at your company have Islamic connections? Why don't you tell your boss that you're gonna hold a party for your atheist workmates next International Women's Day or Dragobete or Constitution Day? Be difficult for him to refuse would it not?

Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
08-07-2016, 07:35 PM
I've gone to a few office Xmas parties in the past but as others have pointed out it was totally secular and if anyone made it seem overtly religious I'm sure mgmt would've gotten angry about it. I guess I've been lucky to work for bigger companies who try very hard to be adaptable, diverse and inclusive. They would also celebrate Hanukkah and just a general Winter Solstice celebration, really any excuse to bring in some cake and sparkling cider around the holidays was totally fine.

The religious aspect of Ramadan and Eid would be uncomfortable for me but if they don't mind a heathen in their midsts than it's their loss, I still get the free food and relaxation in the middle of the work day. I would draw the line at the prayer though, how about do your little prayer and then get some supplies together and donate it to charities in that part of the world or...I don't know something actually productive?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
10-07-2016, 07:43 PM
(07-07-2016 02:54 PM)izel Wrote:  You should have gone Smile

[Image: 08ZslrZ.jpg]

you kill me izel.Thumbsup
Big Grin you bring some good stuff.