Einstein's Derivation of the Famous Equation, E=mc2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 02:58 AM
Einstein's Derivation of the Famous Equation, E=mc2
Quite surprisingly, you just need ordinary algebra, no calculus, no tensors to scare the hell out of you.

Enjoy.

http://soi.blogspot.ca/2013/06/einsteins...ation.html

Note: no ads, not trying to get more clicks, :-D
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes zaybu's post
01-06-2013, 04:54 AM
RE: Einstein's Derivation of the Famous Equation, E=mc2
You lost me on the first diagram.

This is why I work towards biology and modern history at school.

There are less numbers and such in those...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
The diagram just shows a particle decays, giving off two gamma rays moving in opposite direction.
01-06-2013, 11:55 AM
This video gives a bit of a feel for the derivation, even if you aren't that interested in the maths itself:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 11:44 PM by Adenosis.)
I recommend "Why does E=mc2" by Brian Cox and some other dude. Much easier to follow. Explains things instead of just throwing algebra and trig in your face in your face.

Edit: Good explanation in that video.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

02-06-2013, 08:17 AM
(01-06-2013 11:55 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  This video gives a bit of a feel for the derivation, even if you aren't that interested in the maths itself:
Thanks. I loved the cat analogy.

(01-06-2013 11:39 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I recommend "Why does E=mc2" by Brian Cox and some other dude. Much easier to follow. Explains things instead of just throwing algebra and trig in your face in your face.

Edit: Good explanation in that video.

Remarkably Einstein derived his equation without any math wizardry. When I first learned it, that was through tensors calculus, now called differential geometry. And the derivation was much shorter, but that's only because we had spent three to four weeks developping the math formalism. Einstein did it with simple math but with a lot of physical insight.
[+] 1 user Likes zaybu's post