Einstein wrong????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Einstein wrong????
Just in case people miss it.

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Obv it has to be tested by again and again to show consistency.....but if it does it will basicly back up my thinking towards a "holographic universe" that many people share.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 06:13 AM
RE: Einstein wrong????
Who ever told that Einstein had to 100% right? We are just beginning to comprehend the universe around us, who knows what else will we find out. This is true science at work, they discovered something new, they have tested it, they told us that the world's greatest scientist was wrong and now they are inviting new scientist to test this, so that other people can confirm the results. When religion starts doing things like this, I will be a believer.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-09-2011, 06:30 AM

I wouldn't jump to undue conclusions yet.

Remember cold fusion?

An awful lot of past experimental data and science will have to be re-explained if (and it is a big IF) this claim proves to be correct.

...and it still will not mean that Einstein was wrong.

When Einstein modified Newton's laws, it did not mean that Newton was wrong -- only that the validity of Newton's laws was restricted to objects moving a lot slower than the speed of light.

They are still using Newton's laws in space ship design.
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I think its a good idea to wait on this. The scientists have only called for other teams to replicate their findings. Scientists at the Tevatron in the US are working on confirming/disproving the findings.

I saw a similar article here
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-cern...ticle.html

It makes good headlines but it's too early to say anything. Would be awesome if its confirmed though! We can learn something new about our universe. Smile

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
23-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Whatever comes out of this is simply cool! Not being stuck in a definite "truth" is a good thing. I'll most likely never understand all these complicated things anyway, but I trust that smarter people than myself do. Whey science! Smile Smile

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
23-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I read this the moment it broke and was astounded, but I would hold back on any conclusions just yet. They are publishing their findings, keep in mind, not to try and show they are right but in the hopes that someone can show where they screwed up.

The scary implication is, what if no one can prove them wrong...?

It would be the most extraordinary scientific discovery in the past century.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
23-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Einstein wrong????

Why do people insist on creating thread names like this. I understand the implications of the fucking experiment but name the damn thread based on the main idea of the topic. Not a question that can't possibly be answered here. Thank you.

Ex. Scientist think subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
23-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Of course, if this claim proves to be correct, it might open the door to exploration of the Galaxy (a few minor practical problems need to be solved first).

The crucial question regarding space travel, outside our solar system, is the time it takes to get to even the nearest star: Alfa Centaury, 4 light years away. Considering that light can circle around our planet’s equator about seven times in one second, the distance that light can travel in four years is humbling: 883,008,000 (eight hundred and eighty three million, eight thousand) times the length of Earth’s equator (4 x 365 x 24 x 60 x 60 x 7).

Our current space shuttle can circle the planet once in 86 minutes (1.43 hours). At that speed (28,000 km per hour) it would take about 144,144 years to complete the journey. Not a very practical proposition.

What if we could accelerate to near the speed of light? Couldn’t we get there in a little over four years? Not if we wanted to stop by for a visit. In that case we would have to spend a good part of the journey to accelerate to our cruising speed and then an equal amount of time to decelerate back to zero speed.

On the other hand, if we could exceed the speed of light, then it would be a completely different story, wouldn't it?

Heart
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2011, 02:23 AM
And we all come back to Star Trek, again.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Maybe sub-atomic particles have a way of bending the rules without actually breaking them. I will wait to see what Fermilab comes up with or maybe Japan can get their particle accelerator going soon; no thanks to that earthquake.

Faster than light travel would be great if it's possible!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss